ADVERTISEMENT

Trust the market

College basketball is about to get better again. The G League Ignite is shutting down. That will push much better players into college ball. Don’t give up hope.

Trust the market.
I don't know how much impact that will have. College is trending to older players and it seems the one and dones are less of a factor now. Those G-League guys have other options. Where did Wemby play. Those that were going to Ignite wanted to go pro and will only put in a year of college unless they have a bad year.

NCAA needs to curb immediate xfers in the portal by requiring players to sit a year. Maybe they can have some sort of 2 year basketball degree for Frosh and sophs to earn then they can can xfer and play immediately.

Reactions: DANC
That's because there's no free market in WNBA salaries. They're set by contract agreements with the players' union.

She'll be fine though. She's making a killing from State Farm alone. It's the lesser names like Grace Berger that have to decide if playing ball is worth it.
If the WNBA operated in a free market, it would have shuttered decades ago.

It has been in existence over 20 years and has lost, on average, more than $10 million per year!

In other words, in a free market, these women would be paying to play, not getting paid.

To the Bilas article, these athletes are not really students. I posted above Knight complained about the student part being shortchanged 40 years ago, and it has gotten worse. We have been sacrificing the "student" to make more money since Magic played Bird.

Below is a great story about a woman who scored as many points in college as Clark. But no one heard of her, she plays NAIA. She had NCAA schools reach out to her in high school, but when they discovered her major was going to be some combosof pharmacy/chemistry/biology they backed off. No one could do that level of course work and play basketball. So she went NAIA. So explain to me the student part?

A buddy had a nice play softball at OK State. He told me one day several players missed practice, there was a nursing event that nursing majors had to attend. The next day the coach made it clear they were there on athletic scholarships and practice took priority over all else. Having worked with a lot of work-study kids, I have never heard them told that.

The best answer was always to have MLB minor leagues. Without them, we are attracting athletes whose real major is athletics. We do it so old guys, and no bookies, can get rich.nss
We need to have majors in specific sports. If you want to major in Basketball, take classes on the history of BB, Coaching BB, BB Theory, Shooting, Dribbling, Passing, Sports management - most all classes specific to Basketball. Like the Business school does.

Same for other sports. If players want to major in something else, they can, but let them major in something in the field they want to go into. That way there is no pretense of them taking academic classes.

The Music school is the same concept, and IU is noted for it's Music school. They have different majors within that discipline. And they are free to get paid outside of school for their performances.

This new era of college sports can work if the University leaders use their imagination and think outside the box. I have no confidence they'll do so, but it's not impossible.

I don't know how much impact that will have. College is trending to older players and it seems the one and dones are less of a factor now. Those G-League guys have other options. Where did Wemby play. Those that were going to Ignite wanted to go pro and will only put in a year of college unless they have a bad year.

NCAA needs to curb immediate xfers in the portal by requiring players to sit a year. Maybe they can have some sort of 2 year basketball degree for Frosh and sophs to earn then they can can xfer and play immediately.
Wemby is French. He played in France.

If you think American players will go abroad for a year instead of playing in college ball with NIL (even if only for a year) then I have some things I’d like to sell you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT