ADVERTISEMENT

Trust the market

It's very distasteful. I don't enjoy college sports at all, anymore. But the kids demanding their share isn't what broke it. A bunch of old men who used those kids' popularity to make themselves rich broke it. The kids just wised up near the end and decided to get their piece of the pie before it collapsed.
I remember in 2011 Unc Charlotte lost the national championship game in soccer to chapel hill. The coach of Uncc made $60k. Just crazy to think about

Reactions: BradStevens
It’s apples to oranges tho. The mission of universities, amateurism, student athletes etc is polar to pro sports
Maybe at one point, but that ship sailed a long time ago. The mission of universities are still in tact, they have just evolved in my opinion. I view paying athletes closer to their market value a good thing and step forward for universities. Making arbitrary laws that inhibited players being paid their market rate was wrong.

Maybe at one point, but that ship sailed a long time ago. The mission of universities are still in tact, they have just evolved in my opinion. I view paying athletes closer to their market value a good thing and step forward for universities. Making arbitrary laws that inhibited players being paid their market rate was wrong.
To me it crosses from student athlete to professional employee. That’s a different animal having little to do with the school. I’m not a fan. Why bother with the pretense of school. Let’s just hire the best we can and see who wins. Don’t even enroll in school. Just be an employee

I don’t really support pro teams any more, no.

I was mad about Kansas and NC and Crean running off players. So what was I supposed to do about it?

Re the market , you’re not talking to someone who believes that markets are perfect or shouldn’t be tweaked.

The NCAA and schools have raised money hand over fist. Knight complained long ago about later night games in Minnesota and what time they get home, what do you think happens when IU plays at Washington at 10 our time? At no point has the NCAA or the conferences or the universities considered what is best for student athletes. If they did we wouldn't have cross country conferences. I am not sure we would have artificial turf. We wouldn't have been using NIL in video games (the case that set this off) They (NCAA/conferences/universities) have been treating them as employees, as pros. As moneymakers for older guys. What is wrong with asking how to make this better for the kids?

As to the markets, the thread is addressed as it is as I have often been told on this board that CEOs deserve golden parachutes. That part of the thread is geared for whomever they are.

I have been annoyed as anyone at NIL, but it just hit me I shouldn't be mad these players are getting some of what they are being exploited for. Good for them. Again, I fully expect contracts to come out of this which will reduce movement. That will solve the problem most have complained about.

If IU keeps paying coaches $10 million to leave, why not let the actual workers get some of the rewards of their work?

Reactions: Spartans9312
I’ll say it then. Markets work for every scenario.
How much should the market for 8 year old girls be?
I’ll say it then. Markets work for every scenario.
Nope. Not even libertarian economists think that:

How much should the market for 8 year old girls be?
Not sure what you’re getting at?
Nope. Not even libertarian economists think that:

How do you think all of the public goods are provided?

i'm getting dragged in another thread for watching reality tv. and i do watch it in the sense that it's on in the background in the evenings. during the day at the office i usually have soccer on, or impossible builds, or some other design/architecture show. in the evening reality shows. gold rush. pawn stars. vpr. bigfoot. whatever. but i'm never working and always working and always have a tv on in the background.

what i don't have on anymore, save saturday afternoons, is college sports. it's been a spiral and this conference expansion, nil, transfers, paying players is even a bigger turnoff. the whole commercialization of it. i played d1 and my school now has everything tied to a corp. this week's Kia Sol player of the week is xxxxx. He mastered a perfect drive like riding in a Kia Sol. Oh F off. it's untoward.

college kids get paid. tuition and travel to see cool towns and campuses for free and room and board. and memories. oh the memories. my teammates and i have been on a chat group for 25 years. but let's also be honest. why do they "deserve a cut." bc the coaches and schools make money? so what. these players in fairness aren't very good. fewer than 2% make pro. so now we are treating good but not great athletes like pros? 18 year olds? no.

i would rather get rid of all college sports at the d1 and 2 levels and convert it to club and if football needs a minor league let them convert the xfl or something else. and the nba can expand the g league. in my sport the best players are already skipping college to pursue homegrown contracts. college soccer is largely unwatchable it's so bad now. are they going to get paid? shitty soccer players at some crummy school?

rant over marv but i really hate the direction of college sports. i'll continue to tune into whatever andy cohen is offering before i watch college kids get paid to play mediocre games
College basketball is about to get better again. The G League Ignite is shutting down. That will push much better players into college ball. Don’t give up hope.

Trust the market.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
College basketball is about to get better again. The G League Ignite is shutting down. That will push much better players into college ball. Don’t give up hope.

Trust the market.

That's how we were able to get our latest Burger Boy.

If the Ignite is still around, we don't get Tucker.

It's very distasteful. I don't enjoy college sports at all, anymore. But the kids demanding their share isn't what broke it. A bunch of old men who used those kids' popularity to make themselves rich broke it. The kids just wised up near the end and decided to get their piece of the pie before it collapsed.
That's a good summary. People only stay dumb for so long and then they figure out what's going on and want their share of the pie.

That Czabe guy is an idiot.

To the Bilas article, these athletes are not really students. I posted above Knight complained about the student part being shortchanged 40 years ago, and it has gotten worse. We have been sacrificing the "student" to make more money since Magic played Bird.

Below is a great story about a woman who scored as many points in college as Clark. But no one heard of her, she plays NAIA. She had NCAA schools reach out to her in high school, but when they discovered her major was going to be some combosof pharmacy/chemistry/biology they backed off. No one could do that level of course work and play basketball. So she went NAIA. So explain to me the student part?

A buddy had a nice play softball at OK State. He told me one day several players missed practice, there was a nursing event that nursing majors had to attend. The next day the coach made it clear they were there on athletic scholarships and practice took priority over all else. Having worked with a lot of work-study kids, I have never heard them told that.

The best answer was always to have MLB minor leagues. Without them, we are attracting athletes whose real major is athletics. We do it so old guys, and no bookies, can get rich.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
To the Bilas article, these athletes are not really students. I posted above Knight complained about the student part being shortchanged 40 years ago, and it has gotten worse. We have been sacrificing the "student" to make more money since Magic played Bird.

Below is a great story about a woman who scored as many points in college as Clark. But no one heard of her, she plays NAIA. She had NCAA schools reach out to her in high school, but when they discovered her major was going to be some combosof pharmacy/chemistry/biology they backed off. No one could do that level of course work and play basketball. So she went NAIA. So explain to me the student part?

A buddy had a nice play softball at OK State. He told me one day several players missed practice, there was a nursing event that nursing majors had to attend. The next day the coach made it clear they were there on athletic scholarships and practice took priority over all else. Having worked with a lot of work-study kids, I have never heard them told that.

The best answer was always to have MLB minor leagues. Without them, we are attracting athletes whose real major is athletics. We do it so old guys, and no bookies, can get rich.
OK (Sooners) built a 50 million dollar stadium….for softball.

Yep, they are elite. They don't get to be elite because kids need to miss practice or a game because of academics.
I disagree with the fundamental premise behind this statement that college athletes need to be "elite" in order to make college sports a viable product that generates TV viewership or attendance.

I think the majority of people watch and follow college sports for the names on the front of the jersey, not the back. They want to cheer for a team, for a school, for a tribe, for an alma mater, for nostalgia, and for bragging rights over those other fans. As long as the sport is fun to watch, the relative level of athleticism and production just needs to meet a minimal level to continue to tune in and be worthwhile.

For example, would you really prefer to watch IU if we had a squad of all high-flying dunkers who could do amazing flips while dunking but had a meh record? Or would you prefer to watch a team of student athletes like the mid-70s squads playing against other such competitive teams of student athletes? Or a team of Damon Bailey's, Steve Alfords, AJ Guytons, Matt Novers, AJ Moyes who played as a team? Do you find yourself going out of your way to watch the star players any given year over and above the Hoosiers? Do you think the movie Hoosiers would be as exciting and emotionally impactful if it involved a group of 5 kids who just decided to transfer in to Milan, not attend school, but try to win a basketball championship?

At this point, I think I'd prefer watching and following high school athletics. Those kids belong to a school, are part of that school, play hard, etc. But maybe I'm the outlier or just a grumpy old man.

You keep pointing out the way the current system is. I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing what it should be if it is associated with a university, higher education, and wants to be non-profit.

I've agreed with you before about turning this stuff into a minor league, cutting university ties, and returning college athletics to what it was supposed to be.

I disagree with the fundamental premise behind this statement that college athletes need to be "elite" in order to make college sports a viable product that generates TV viewership or attendance.

I think the majority of people watch and follow college sports for the names on the front of the jersey, not the back. They want to cheer for a team, for a school, for a tribe, for an alma mater, for nostalgia, and for bragging rights over those other fans. As long as the sport is fun to watch, the relative level of athleticism and production just needs to meet a minimal level to continue to tune in and be worthwhile.

For example, would you really prefer to watch IU if we had a squad of all high-flying dunkers who could do amazing flips while dunking but had a meh record? Or would you prefer to watch a team of student athletes like the mid-70s squads playing against other such competitive teams of student athletes? Or a team of Damon Bailey's, Steve Alfords, AJ Guytons, Matt Novers, AJ Moyes who played as a team? Do you find yourself going out of your way to watch the star players any given year over and above the Hoosiers? Do you think the movie Hoosiers would be as exciting and emotionally impactful if it involved a group of 5 kids who just decided to transfer in to Milan, not attend school, but try to win a basketball championship?

At this point, I think I'd prefer watching and following high school athletics. Those kids belong to a school, are part of that school, play hard, etc. But maybe I'm the outlier or just a grumpy old man.

I don't think we are that far off in a way. I have attended many more women's games and baseball games than football or men's basketball games this century. It fits closer to what I prefer. And I love the idea of club sports taking over all

But the reality is the Big 10 just stole from the Pac. The B10 and SEC are in discussions to kick out the NCAA and takeover football entirely. Greed has won, I cannot stop it. You cannot.

I cannot change the facts as they exist. Come Jan 20 next year, Biden or Trump will be sworn in. I cannot change one of those from happening, all I can change is how I react to such crisis. This is similar. If we are going to force all IU teams to have Wednesday night games in LA to make money, whatever kids can get money from it should. The NCAA, the conferences, the schools use and abuse this student athlete thing. Totally abuse it. The kids deserve something if the suits are getting rich. And the suits are getting rich.

I don't think we are that far off in a way. I have attended many more women's games and baseball games than football or men's basketball games this century. It fits closer to what I prefer. And I love the idea of club sports taking over all

But the reality is the Big 10 just stole from the Pac. The B10 and SEC are in discussions to kick out the NCAA and takeover football entirely. Greed has won, I cannot stop it. You cannot.

I cannot change the facts as they exist. Come Jan 20 next year, Biden or Trump will be sworn in. I cannot change one of those from happening, all I can change is how I react to such crisis. This is similar. If we are going to force all IU teams to have Wednesday night games in LA to make money, whatever kids can get money from it should. The NCAA, the conferences, the schools use and abuse this student athlete thing. Totally abuse it. The kids deserve something if the suits are getting rich. And the suits are getting rich.
With the rising costs of college, is it really true that they aren't getting "something?" Those Duke athletes, for example, are getting something valued at something approaching $100k a year. In light of that, I wouldn't call it abuse at all.

With the rising costs of college, is it really true that they aren't getting "something?" Those Duke athletes, for example, are getting something valued at something approaching $100k a year. In light of that, I wouldn't call it abuse at all.

You spoke in a thread about IU's value being degraded. You don't think people degrade degrees from athletes? How much weight do you think a sports marketing degree for an athlete carries?

I hope the athletes get a percentage, a huge percentage, of tv rights. I am tired of the leeches winning. We pay to see the players, not the head of the NCAA, the head of the B10, not Dolson, not Woodson. Those people (standing for all in similar positions) have shown incredible ability to grab money hand over fist. Do you think anyone would take those jobs if offered a free Masters?

You spoke in a thread about IU's value being degraded. You don't think people degrade degrees from athletes? How much weight do you think a sports marketing degree for an athlete carries?

I hope the athletes get a percentage, a huge percentage, of tv rights. I am tired of the leeches winning. We pay to see the players, not the head of the NCAA, the head of the B10, not Dolson, not Woodson. Those people (standing for all in similar positions) have shown incredible ability to grab money hand over fist. Do you think anyone would take those jobs if offered a free Masters?
Re the athletes getting a percentage, I'm Ok with that. I just don't want it doled out on the "free market" approach, per player.

As for your last question, I'd take that job for a free four years of grad school. Sign me up. I'll do my best to copy Hurley's offense and defense.

Hm. Not sure about that. When a wealthy fan/donor funds a coach’s buyout or pumps big bucks into NIL, do you really think that donor intends to make money with that donation?

They get to see a new coach or player brought in/retained, which would mean, in their eyes, they get a return on their investment.

Donors want their money to go to winning programs.

They get to see a new coach or player brought in/retained, which would mean, in their eyes, they get a return on their investment.

Donors want their money to go to winning programs.
The point is that their "return" is not monetary.

The point is that their "return" is not monetary.

True that the donors dollar isn't monetary, but going into the deal, the donor knows monetary return isn't an option, so their return would be in a different way.

They have money that we could only imagine, more times then not.

True that the donors dollar isn't monetary, but going into the deal, the donor knows monetary return isn't an option, so their return would be in a different way.

They have money that we could only imagine, more times then not.
If I had Andy Mohr money I'd pay the volleyball team 10K each to wash cars outside in shorts and tee shirts.

I haven't been one to put blind faith in the markets, but whenever I have complained about CEO compensation I have been told the market is, if not perfect, very close to perfect. Trust the market has been the mantra.

Many of those people today seem not to trust the market. I see it all the time, NIL sucks. Isn't NIL just the market? If a point guard is worth $500,000, he's worth $500,000. Why do we suddenly say "OMG, we can't let the market decide". Why don't we want the market in college sports? It has been there for overpaid coaches and administrators. If the highest paid employees at any university weren't coaches, I'd agree that not having the market is good for college sports. But we pay college coaches like they invented 4 drugs to cure cancer (well more, the scientist who discovers such drugs will certainly make less than some football coaches).

So if the market works, why doesn't it work for college sports? I suspect it is one of a couple of reasons. First, "it isn't how we did it". That's a poor reason to continue something without evidence supporting why it works. Second, some combination of the kids being kids and/or Black. Before people get too angry, of the two I suspect far more are angry at an 18-year-old not "deserving" the money more than the race, but we are fooling ourselves if we don't think some people are angry that basketball and football players are statistically more likely to be Black than in the general population and will be making big money.

Once players get paid by schools, and that is very close to coming, I think we will see multi-year contracts as in pro sports. That should reduce the turnover we now see. But we know turnover happened before, largely when the coach wanted it. Recall Creaning? If coaches can push kids out, kids should have the right to leave. As with pro sports, colleges could negotiate a salary cap thus keeping smaller schools at least somewhat competitive (or as competitive as a team like the Reds).

I think eventually the market will work this out. if we are going to pay coaches and administrators commanding salaries, the players deserve a cut.
Speaking of trusting the market I see Caitlin Clark’s starting salary is $76k. Yikes. I know she makes endorsement bank from college but she could just get a job that pays that.

Speaking of trusting the market I see Caitlin Clark’s starting salary is $76k. Yikes. I know she makes endorsement bank from college but she could just get a job that pays that.
The WNBA players make far more overseas. That is why Greiner wanted to go to Russia, they pay the best for women's basketball.

If Clark leads to a ratings bonanza the US pay may go up a little. I don't know how long the TV contract is for. The Fever have like 36 of their 40 games on national TV.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The WNBA players make far more overseas. That is why Greiner wanted to go to Russia, they pay the best for women's basketball.

If Clark leads to a ratings bonanza the US pay may go up a little. I don't know how long the TV contract is for. The Fever have like 36 of their 40 games on national TV.

I thought I read a while back that players will play their season, and then once it's over, go overseas and play because of the money.

They have to be back by the time training camps start to be eligible for the season is what I remember.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I thought I read a while back that players will play their season, and then once it's over, go overseas and play because of the money.

They have to be back by the time training camps start to be eligible for the season is what I remember.
Yep, that's how it works. Of course, this year is the Olympics which adds a lot of games. I imagine injury risks will go up.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie

That's because there's no free market in WNBA salaries. They're set by contract agreements with the players' union.

She'll be fine though. She's making a killing from State Farm alone. It's the lesser names like Grace Berger that have to decide if playing ball is worth it.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
That's because there's no free market in WNBA salaries. They're set by contract agreements with the players' union.

She'll be fine though. She's making a killing from State Farm alone. It's the lesser names like Grace Berger that have to decide if playing ball is worth it.

I saw right now the women get 10% of the gross. I saw several of the women in the league saying they realize they can't earn what the men do, they just want to get toward the same 50% the men have. If Clark impacts the TV contract, they might start getting closer. Even at 10% the WNBA has never made a profit.

I saw right now the women get 10% of the gross. I saw several of the women in the league saying they realize they can't earn what the men do, they just want to get toward the same 50% the men have. If Clark impacts the TV contract, they might start getting closer. Even at 10% the WNBA has never made a profit.
Does the nba fund it?

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT