ADVERTISEMENT

Trump pardons Dinesh D'Souza

The D'Souza pardon is just checking the temperature and preparing the battlefield
Sounds like we should read the pardon as sending a strong message to those who might think they have to cooperate with the duly appointed special prosecutor. The message to people like Manafort and Cohen is that if they don't cooperate with Mueller and are convicted that Trump will pardon them. Is that right?

Last edited:
The D'Souza pardon is just checking the temperature and preparing the battlefield
Again, we completely agree. This is a chess pawn introductory move before he starts pardoning anybody affiliated with the Mueller probe.

So now we know that the GOP mainstream does not mind campaign finance law violations.

Between he and Sheriff Joe, it appears he is looking for the most horrible human beings on earth to pardon. My guess is Bin Laden is next.

Reactions: sglowrider
Again, we completely agree. This is a chess pawn introductory move before he starts pardoning anybody affiliated with the Mueller probe.
He's signaling. He wants the Mueller targets to think a pardon could be obtained, but Trump actually doing it would create a political maelstrom. If he did it before the mid terms that very well could throw the Senate (I think the House is gonna flip).

The racist SOB also pardoned Jack Johnson, heavyweight champion boxer of many years ago.

I agree with this pardon.
I realize that. I didn't complain about that one. You honestly think a pardon of a black man means he ISN'T racist? That's almost as good as " I have a friend that's black, so I can't be racist. "

My issue you is you’re a hypocrite. Your growling about Trump’s pardons and they’re not better or worse than Obama’s and other Presidents.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/dinesh-dsouza-national-review-parkland-shooting-survivors-racist-bigot
And my point is prove it. Which of Obama's is as bad as Sheriff Joe? I honestly don't know much about Obama's parsons. Which one should I look into that you disagree with? Here's the jewel he pardoned today. A gem of a human being. So you surely are familiar with those of Obama's you disagreed with. Enlighten me, maybe I'll agree.

My issue you is you’re a hypocrite. Your growling about Trump’s pardons and they’re not better or worse than Obama’s and other Presidents.
After a quick perusal of those listed , it appears the large majority are drug crimes and money. There were no recognizable names, so it's hard to have an opinion of the type of person they were. But you must.... And then again, Obama didn't have to pardon people to show others that he could pardon them too, in order to keep himself out of jail. So there's that difference.

I think the overarching purpose of the D'Souza pardon and the prospective pardons of Stewart (who was really prosecuted because she was a big, slow-moving target) and Blagosevich is laying the predicate for a pardon of Mike Flynn and George Papadopoulos, at a minimum.

After a quick perusal of those listed , it appears the large majority are drug crimes and money. There were no recognizable names, so it's hard to have an opinion of the type of person they were. But you must.... And then again, Obama didn't have to pardon people to show others that he could pardon them too, in order to keep himself out of jail. So there's that difference.

Why do folks convicted of drug crimes deserve a pardon any more than the ones Trump is giving?

The only pardon I can remember before this that I disagreed with was Clinton’s of Mark Rich. But most of them fall under the radar.

I realize that. I didn't complain about that one. You honestly think a pardon of a black man means he ISN'T racist? That's almost as good as " I have a friend that's black, so I can't be racist. "
No. I believe you are unable to view anything Trump does objectively. I think Trump is a despicable person, but I judge each thing he actually does objectively. Johnson pardon - good. Pardoning Sheriff Joe - bad. Nominating Mattis for SecDef - good. Tariffs he's proposing and implementing - bad. Tweeting stupid crap - bad. And so on.

Incidentally, I don't believe you're the only one incapable of being objective about anything Trump does.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I think the overarching purpose of the D'Souza pardon and the prospective pardons of Stewart (who was really prosecuted because she was a big, slow-moving target) and Blagosevich is laying the predicate for a pardon of Mike Flynn and George Papadopoulos, at a minimum.
Which, while perfectly "legal", would also be abuse of power and obstruction of justice. If he wants to push his not-crazy Republican supporters over the edge, that will be the way to do it.

If I remember correctly, those pardons were issued to people who had ridiculous sentences relative to their minor crimes. They had already spent a significant amount of time in jail. Obama was showing leniency for what he believed were overly harsh sentences.

Trump is essentially just pardoning his buddies...and signaling to people under scrutiny in the Mueller probe that they don’t need to be worried about being convicted of federal crimes. The Jack Johnson pardon was because his buddy Sly Stallone is doing a biopic on his life and he came to see Trump about pardoning him.Trump doesn’t care about Jack Johnson.

Why do folks convicted of drug crimes deserve a pardon any more than the ones Trump is giving?

Since IANAL, I will certainly stand corrected, but if one has served his sentence, isn't a pardon nothing but symbolic? It's not an exoneration; in fact, I believe the acceptance of a pardon is also an admission of guilt. Joe stayed out of jail, and I suppose D'Sousa is no longer on probation. But aren't they still convicted felons? With all the baggage that comes with that? IIUC, only a Court can actually overturn a conviction.

No. I believe you are unable to view anything Trump does objectively. I think Trump is a despicable person, but I judge each thing he actually does objectively. Johnson pardon - good. Pardoning Sheriff Joe - bad. Nominating Mattis for SecDef - good. Tariffs he's proposing and implementing - bad. Tweeting stupid crap - bad. And so on.

Incidentally, I don't believe you're the only one incapable of being objective about anything Trump does.

Tbf Aloha, there is a hierarchy of values/criteria on how you judge a person. However, being racist and a despicable person trumps all others. You hear mass murders who's mums would say: he is such a nice boy, he brings me my meds or dinner every night or words to that effect.
Does the killer's filial piety trump the fact that he just killed a person/s?

As with Trump, the choice of POTUS is always a personal one for most people. The fact that his disgusting personality along with his clear racist behaviour, trump anything he does.
And as COH likes to point out, its injecting emotionalism into the equation. If that's the case I would have to apologise for myself as a mere human and not a humanoid. That would be one of my many flaws.

In Zeke's defense, if she were incapable of viewing anything Trump does objectively, then she should have complained about the Johnson pardon. The fact that she didn't lends credence to the idea that her complaints about Arpaio and D'Souza are really about Arpaio and D'Souza, and not about Trump.

Trump is pardoning political supporters, basically all on his own doing.

Most all pardons typically work their way through a significant DOJ due diligence process, and then detailed recommendations are made to the POTUS.

If I remember correctly, those pardons were issued to people who had ridiculous sentences relative to their minor crimes. They had already spent a significant amount of time in jail. Obama was showing leniency for what he believed were overly harsh sentences.

Trump is essentially just pardoning his buddies...and signaling to people under scrutiny in the Mueller probe that they don’t need to be worried about being convicted of federal crimes. The Jack Johnson pardon was because his buddy Sly Stallone is doing a biopic on his life and he came to see Trump about pardoning him.Trump doesn’t care about Jack Johnson.
For people who have served their time, it is mostly symbolic. It does not expunge the conviction, and therefore does not override any state laws that impose civil disabilities for being a felon. However, in D'Souza's case, he still had a chunk of probation ahead of him, so it probably makes his life a little easier moving forward.

Reactions: DrHoops
Although the President can basically pardon whomever he wants, we have long since come to a general agreement (and by long, I mean like 100 years ago) that the pardon power of the President is not a personal power to be doled out for personal reasons, such as a monarch would have. Rather, the President's job is to effect the mercy of the state on behalf of the people for various reasons, usually because of some injustice, ranging from unfair sentencing to questionable proceedings all the way to (in rare cases) evidence of actual innocence. As Twenty noted above, the standard process is for pardon applications to be put through an insane vetting process, so that only the worthiest of the worthies find their way to the President's desk. While the President has the power to do what Trump is doing - issue pardons of his own accord - that is extremely rare, and has been for a century, as it's generally become accepted wisdom that such pardons are improper.

Trump is pardoning political supporters, basically all on his own doing.

Most all pardons typically work their way through a significant DOJ due diligence process, and then detailed recommendations are made to the POTUS.
Allegedly no one had even filed a petition for this one. Ted Cruz mentioned it to Trump and he ran with it.

Exactly.

For people who have served their time, it is mostly symbolic. It does not expunge the conviction, and therefore does not override any state laws that impose civil disabilities for being a felon. However, in D'Souza's case, he still had a chunk of probation ahead of him, so it probably makes his life a little easier moving forward.

I thought you were a bot!

Tbf Aloha, there is a hierarchy of values/criteria on how you judge a person. However, being racist and a despicable person trumps all others. You hear mass murders who's mums would say: he is such a nice boy, he brings me my meds or dinner every night or words to that effect.

As with Trump, the choice of POTUS is always a personal one for most people. The fact that his disgusting personality along with his clear racist behaviour, trump anything he does.
And as COH likes to point out, its injecting emotionalism into the equation. If that's the case I would have to apologise for myself as a mere human and not a humanoid. That would be one of my many flaws.

His behavior is often ridiculous, offensive, disgusting, etc. However, he is still the President with the powers of a President. When he does something good, I’m good with that. When he does something I think is bad, I’m not good with that. Despite how I feel about him personally, I think he selected an outstanding SecDef. He’s done other things I believe are good for our country. He’s done many more I think are bad. All I’m saying is judge the actions on their own. It’s all we got since he sucks as a person. I still don’t want him to have a second term.

Reactions: MrBing
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but this POTUS seems like the first one I've seen pardoning people so early in his tenure. It seems like I remember most other presidents waiting until the end of their time as president to pardon people. And repeating what Twenty said, there's a process to it. Even W didn't pardon Scooter Libby (to Cheney's chagrin).

Trump is acting like a dictator. Essentially saying people can commit any crime they want, provided they're on his side of an issue. It wouldn't be dangerous if congress held Trump's feet to the fire, but they're not.

Although the President can basically pardon whomever he wants, we have long since come to a general agreement (and by long, I mean like 100 years ago) that the pardon power of the President is not a personal power to be doled out for personal reasons, such as a monarch would have. Rather, the President's job is to effect the mercy of the state on behalf of the people for various reasons, usually because of some injustice, ranging from unfair sentencing to questionable proceedings all the way to (in rare cases) evidence of actual innocence. As Twenty noted above, the standard process is for pardon applications to be put through an insane vetting process, so that only the worthiest of the worthies find their way to the President's desk. While the President has the power to do what Trump is doing - issue pardons of his own accord - that is extremely rare, and has been for a century, as it's generally become accepted wisdom that such pardons are improper.

Reactions: Bill4411
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT