ADVERTISEMENT

Trump is a cruel, cruel man

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
I've previously expressed some sympathy for Sean Spicer. But until now, it's all been on a professional level. His boss makes his job really hard and causes him to look bad. It sucks, but it's not a gut punch. This is a gut punch:

Spicer is a devout Catholic for whom meeting Francis would have been "the highlight of his life." He is reportedly crushed by the snub, and even his most vocal critics feel bad for him.

Reactions: MrBing and RBB89
I've previously expressed some sympathy for Sean Spicer. But until now, its all been on a professional level. His boss makes his job really hard and causes him to look bad. It sucks, but it's not a gut punch. This is a gut punch:

Spicer is a devout Catholic for whom meeting Francis would have been "the highlight of his life." He is reportedly crushed by the snub, and even his most vocal critics feel bad for him.

Anyone who does any work for this administration and/or tries to defend anything this admin does isn't a devout anything. Spicer can go piss up a rope. He sold his soul as soon as he took that job.

I've previously expressed some sympathy for Sean Spicer. But until now, it's all been on a professional level. His boss makes his job really hard and causes him to look bad. It sucks, but it's not a gut punch. This is a gut punch:

He's been like this his entire life.

I don't feel all that bad for ANYONE that works for this president- outside of someone that works for him for a very short period of time and leaves. You roll around with dogs, you're going to get fleas. You play in the mud with pigs, you're going to get muddy. You get the idea...

Spicer knows who Trump is- and if he doesn't, he's either an idiot or a blinded true believer. He has to know, deep down, that trump isn't a good guy. And that he'll never take the blame, and always point elsewhere. If you're close to him, that will be you eventually. Still can't believe the neptomism at the highest level of our government right now. It's embarrassing.

Hopefully this will help him learn why it's a bad move to continue working for this guy. Trump loves to have chaos around him- and that includes plenty of infighting among his staff. I don't care how good you are, you're not going to come out on top every single time. Unless maybe you marry his daughter, of course.

Here's to hoping Spicer sees the light (finally). It's highly ironic that not meeting the pope could finally make him see the light. What he does moving forward will tell me a lot about him.

Reactions: Capitol Hoosier
Anyone who does any work for this administration and/or tries to defend anything this admin does isn't a devout anything. Spicer can go piss up a rope. He sold his soul as soon as he took that job.
I don't feel all that bad for ANYONE that works for this president- outside of someone that works for him for a very short period of time and leaves. You roll around with dogs, you're going to get fleas. You play in the mud with pigs, you're going to get muddy. You get the idea...

Spicer knows who Trump is- and if he doesn't, he's either an idiot or a blinded true believer. He has to know, deep down, that trump isn't a good guy. And that he'll never take the blame, and always point elsewhere. If you're close to him, that will be you eventually. Still can't believe the neptomism at the highest level of our government right now. It's embarrassing.

Hopefully this will help him learn why it's a bad move to continue working for this guy. Trump loves to have chaos around him- and that includes plenty of infighting among his staff. I don't care how good you are, you're not going to come out on top every single time. Unless maybe you marry his daughter, of course.

Here's to hoping Spicer sees the light (finally). It's highly ironic that not meeting the pope could finally make him see the light. What he does moving forward will tell me a lot about him.
I don't buy this line of thinking. If all good people refuse to work for Trump, then only bad people will be in the administration. Good people can still do good things, even if POTUS is a bad man. E.g., McMaster (reportedly) helping to sideline Bannon on national security issues.

I don't buy this line of thinking. If all good people refuse to work for Trump, then only bad people will be in the administration. Good people can still do good things, even if POTUS is a bad man. E.g., McMaster (reportedly) helping to sideline Bannon on national security issues.

Oh, I have a pretty good idea what's behind this line of thinking. And you're a smart guy -- so I suspect you do, too.

People such as Rex Tillerson and James Mattis who are wiling to be part of this unpredictable administration are putting their country ahead of personal gain in my book. These men are real patriots. Like leaving the bunker and charging the enemy without any idea of what you may encounter.

People such as Rex Tillerson and James Mattis who are wiling to be part of this unpredictable administration are putting their country ahead of personal gain in my book. These men are real patriots. Like leaving the bunker and charging the enemy without any idea of what you may encounter.

power and self-interest. They appeared to have an enjoyable time sword dancing. I don't think anyone is serving for Trump, but rather because of the power these positions hold.

I saw this and thought it was especially and disappointingly small of the President.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I don't know what you're saying either, but I'm glad that you are having fun.

Well, think about it for a second.

Why would a Trump critic want to pressure people -- particularly "good" ones, but anybody really -- to quit the administration (or never work there in the first place)?

No matter who the President is, we should hope good people work in his/her administration. If anyone on the WC was really a great fit for any administration job, I'd hope they'd take it. I absolutely despise Trump, but I love my country. If I was asked to take an appointment job of some kind, I'd do it. I would hope you would as well. It's our country you'd be serving.

Absolutely correct.

Reactions: RBB89

Why would a Trump critic want to pressure people -- particularly "good" ones, but anybody really -- to quit the administration (or never work there in the first place)?

Is Wiede "pressuring" Sean Spicer to quit Trump administration? Does he even think Spicer is a good person? I've thought about it for a second and it made me think that your initial thought about Trump thinking Spicer is the source of his leaks was a more cogent thought.

They want the administration to fail?

They want to disrupt the work on legislation until the mid-terms (hopefully) change the numbers by having scandal after scandal "investigated"?

They hate cognitive dissonance?

They didn't like Tammy Wynette?

They want to disrupt the work on legislation until the mid-terms (hopefully) change the numbers by having scandal after scandal "investigated"?

As much as I'd love to go with Tammy Wynette, of course it's the first answer.

Not only do they want it to fail, but they want him gone. People leaving (or at least never coming on in the first place) creates isolation and division. It creates the prospect of not just critics (with the added bonus of having the cred of once serving in the same administration they're now slamming -- such as John Dean), but also whistleblowers and all that.

So I'm surprised that anybody would say that they don't understand that line of thinking. It seems pretty obvious to me.

How would not having Sean Spicer in his job cause the administration to fail or disrupt legislation? How does having Sean Spicer in his role relate to cognitive dissonance? Who likes Tammy Wynette?

Reactions: DrHoops
Is Wiede "pressuring" Sean Spicer to quit Trump administration? Does he even think Spicer is a good person?
Exactly. That was why I responded the way I did. Wiede and SHF seem to assume that anyone who would even work for Trump is automatically a bad person. I was trying to describe briefly why I think that guilt-by-association policy doesn't work, namely that good people can still accomplish good things under a bad president.

Reactions: hoosboot
Do you think that our friends in West Lafayette took any pleasure in seeing the likes of Luke Recker, Jason Collier, and Neil Reed transfer from IU and the despised Bob Knight?

If so, why do you think this was?

I think they didn't care if Neil Reed transferred, weren't very worried about Luke Recker, and were glad that Jason Collier never figured out how to stay close to the basket. At that point, I think they were probably more occupied with winning Big 10 titles.

No matter who the President is, we should hope good people work in his/her administration. If anyone on the WC was really a great fit for any administration job, I'd hope they'd take it. I absolutely despise Trump, but I love my country. If I was asked to take an appointment job of some kind, I'd do it. I would hope you would as well. It's our country you'd be serving.
I get what you are saying, but there are questions. Why should I serve if there is zero chance whatsoever Trump would listen to my advice? I mean if I were someone of import, I'd be lending my credibility to an administration I have no control over. Is that something I would want to do? If I have no chance to talk Captain Smith out of rushing full speed through iceberg infested waters, what value would I be serving on the Titanic.

But overall I would agree, people should serve if asked. And if Donald calls me and asks, I probably would. But I'd warn him that I also will resign if he insists on ignoring the iceberg danger.

Reactions: Digressions
As much as I'd love to go with Tammy Wynette, of course it's the first answer.

Not only do they want it to fail, but they want him gone. People leaving (or at least never coming on in the first place) creates isolation and division. It creates the prospect of not just critics (with the added bonus of having the cred of once serving in the same administration they're now slamming -- such as John Dean), but also whistleblowers and all that.

So I'm surprised that anybody would say that they don't understand that line of thinking. It seems pretty obvious to me.

Here's a thought...maybe it seems obvious to you because that's sadly how you think.

Reactions: DrHoops
I think they didn't care if Neil Reed transferred, weren't very worried about Luke Recker, and were glad that Jason Collier never figured out how to stay close to the basket. At that point, I think they were probably more occupied with winning Big 10 titles.

You must not know very many Purdue fans.

Oh, they didn't only want to see IU basketball fall to pieces (in fact, I'm just about 100% sure that they took more pleasure from that than whatever moderate success their own program ever had), they wanted to see Knight humiliated and suffering.

They took pleasure in those transfers because they knew precisely what they signified.

Here's a thought...maybe it seems obvious to you because that's sadly how you think.

Mmm, no. That's not how I think at all. I'm much MUCH more of the school of thought that we should always want the best people in critical positions.

But I know there are people who don't think that way -- and I have a pretty good idea why they do.

You must not know very many Purdue fans.

Oh, they didn't only want to see IU basketball fall to pieces (in fact, I'm just about 100% sure that they took more pleasure from that than whatever moderate success their own program ever had), they wanted to see Knight humiliated and suffering.

They took pleasure in those transfers because they knew precisely what they signified.

Totally. Only about a quarter of my high school graduating class went to Purdue and I visited many of them regularly, but I must not know very many Purdue fans.

You're really good at projecting stupid stuff on people you don't know. This thread is chock full of it.

Totally. Only about a quarter of my high school graduating class went to Purdue and I visited many of them regularly, but I must not know very many Purdue fans.

You're really good at projecting stupid stuff on people you don't know. This thread is chock full of it.

Then the Purdue fans you know are a lot different than the ones I know. Because the ones I know -- to a man -- took every delight not only in anything bad for IU, but in particular whatever spelled trouble for RMK.

If the Purdue fans you know weren't like that, then they're weird Purdue fans.

Then the Purdue fans you know are a lot different than the ones I know. Because the ones I know -- to a man -- took every delight not only in anything bad for IU, but in particular whatever spelled trouble for RMK.

Got it. Everything and everyone I know is wrong and everything and everyone you know is totally on point. Totally a me problem. I'll work harder to think that most people are small and petulant so I can be more like you.

How would not having Sean Spicer in his job cause the administration to fail or disrupt legislation? How does having Sean Spicer in his role relate to cognitive dissonance? Who likes Tammy Wynette?

I can let your politics slide, but that slur about Tammy Wynette must be answered.
(You're lucky I can't duel!)

You sure do seem convinced that everyone who is not you is a cartoon character.

Reactions: Zizkov

Your opinion is noted...and disagreed with

Exactly. That was why I responded the way I did. Wiede and SHF seem to assume that anyone who would even work for Trump is automatically a bad person. I was trying to describe briefly why I think that guilt-by-association policy doesn't work, namely that good people can still accomplish good things under a bad president.
True, but guys like Sean Spicer get zero credit because they absolutely don't do good things or exercise a positive impact. Instead, they just do his bidding and reinforce the worst of Trump. We saw that on day one.

Reactions: MrBing
I can let your politics slide, but that slur about Tammy Wynette must be answered.
(You're lucky I can't duel!)

Whew! That was just to make sure you didn't have me on ignore. I was just messing with you.

What has two thumbs and loves him some Tammy Wynette?

4353485.jpg

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

I'd add Rod Rosenstein to that list, too, BTW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT