ADVERTISEMENT

Trump is a cruel, cruel man

Never been more apt....

images

Well, it's not as if we were actually going to hit our NDCs. So I'd say that pulling out is something of a preemptive formality.

That said, this is one of the reasons that treaties are supposed to be ratified by the Senate. Given that Paris gave participating nations some leeway in determining their own targets, you'd think that Obama would've worked with the Senate to determine targets they both could live with such that he could've achieved formal ratification. But I don't even recall him trying to involve the Senate.

Last edited:
Well, it's not as if we were actually going to hit our NDCs. So I'd say that pulling out is something of a preemptive formality.

That said, this is one of the reasons that treaties are supposed to be ratified by the Senate. Given that Paris gave participating nations some leeway in determining their own targets, you'd think that Obama would've worked with the Senate to determine targets they both could live with such that he could've achieved formal ratification. But I don't even recall him trying to involve the Senate.

You have very short term memory!

b05b7c732b2f8c8ea67794b537497473.jpg

Another example:

Obama-and-Merrick-Garland-Pablo-Martinez-MonsivaisAP-640x480.jpg

Well, what I'm getting at is that the NDCs were all established by each country, right? So the appropriate approach should've been: what level of commitment CAN I get through the Senate?

It might not have been the commitment he'd have preferred -- well, I'm sure it wouldn't have been. But it would've made it a formal binding treaty. And, besides, the NDCs are redone every 4 years, anyway.

Anyway, bottom line, this was pretty easy to predict. Just like I'm sure that Trump's predecessor will unilaterally reverse lots of what he's doing unilaterally. There are reasons we have separation of powers -- this is one of them.

Short Crazed: "But Obama!"

Reactions: sglowrider
Short Crazed: "But Obama!"

Uh, no...that's not a short version of what I'm saying.

I'm saying that presidents who want to forge international agreements and accords that will last need to do the heavy lifting of winning Senate ratification.

I don't know if that was possible or not for this. If it wasn't, then withdrawing is just as well. If it was, then it was incumbent on the POTUS to hatch out an acceptable deal with the Senate such that successors couldn't just unilaterally go a different way.

FTR, I'd offer the very same advice to Trump -- who seems to be following his predecessor's footsteps in just going it alone whenever Congress doesn't just do his bidding.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT