ADVERTISEMENT

Truly disgusted

Come on dumping thousands of Haitians in Springfield OH is causing a lot of problems. Where do these people live? Where do they work? Social services are running out of money. And you call these concerns nativism?
You got any links to say the Haitians were "dumped" in Springfield? It was an economically distressed area that suffered a huge loss in population along with the loss of jobs... Consequently they went from a population of nearly 80,000 to 55 or 60,000.

When manufacturing and other jobs were created by various bi-partisan acts passed during the Biden Admin, lots of new industries and manufacturing jobs sprung up. And for various reasons including opioid issues as well as an aversion to work among some, the local population was unable to provide the necessary workforce to adequately fill those jobs...

Some Haitians already living in the area were hired and business leaders in the city saw it as a way to get the workers needed for their industries. Based on what my research has shown I'd say that the majority of the Haitians that came to Springfield were Haitians living in other parts of the US who saw moving to Springfield as an oppty.

They weren't looking for a town to take over, they just wanted to take advantage of the job growth and financial opportunities that Springfield offered. Haitians have been coming to the US since 2010 and before. Including thousands who came during the Trump years...

DeSantis has more Haitians living in FL than any other state but NY. When was the last time FL had a Dem Governor?

Did a government program send them there for resettlement?​

No. Immigrants have chosen to live in Springfield due to its low cost of living and available work, according to a city website, which notes that “no government entity is responsible for the influx of Haitians into Clark County.”

“Any system is going to struggle with the rapid population growth we have seen,” Clark County Health Commissioner Chris Cook told the Springfield City Council in July as he stressed the importance of getting more resources and funding to help.

“This is not part of a federal resettlement program. … It’s not someplace it was planned, and it’s not someplace those resources initially go by policy,” he said.

I agree with this for the most part.

But wake me up the next time we have politicians who don’t exploit fear for political gain. It tends to work and is also about as predictable as the sunrise - which is why it’s notable when one comes along who doesn’t do this.

It’s one of the primary reasons I was so fond of Mitch Daniels. The only thing he’s really ever stoked fear about is our public debt - which I think warrants more fear than it usually elicits.
Mitch Daniels would make an excellent president, sadly he will never run.

Reactions: crazed_hoosier2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT