ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly on the IU Head Coach Position

Does anybody really think there are feelers going out to potential coaches? With Quinn Buckner at the helm....it couldn't happen without his knowledge at the least....blessing moreso. I think IU is fully prepared to PR their way through this season...and invite Rosie Scenario to gaslight the masses about how great next season can be. IU is not serious about turning this program around....if Mike Woodson returns.

I don’t know. Trilly is one of the better sources. Find a source that says Woody is safe.

I get the skepticism, it’s IUBB, it’s a nightmare. I really didn’t think there might be a change. However things are so so bad with no prospect of much improvement that the AD can’t avoid real negative consequences.

We will lose millions in revenue next year if we keep this up. NIL will slow down. It just has to when fans are mad and apathetic and they donate less and attend fewer games.

So, pay the price for a for a coaching change or lose revenue. There is no easy way out for Scott, therefore a coaching change probably isn’t totally off the table.

Reactions: dr.jb
A bit of revisionist history. Miller had other opportunities and was the consensus top hire in college basketball that year. OSU fans were pissed when we hired him. He didn't work out but it isn't because he was unheralded.

And yes, I think a good coach can be hired here. Why wouldn't it happen?
Miller was a flash in the pan at Dayton. He wasn’t a great candidate. If top echelon coaches wanted to be at IU it would have happened in the past 25 years. They will eventually part with Woodson and get another dud. Four sweet sixteens in 30 years. Nobody worth a shit is coming.

Reactions: BayernFan
MonvalleyJ I agree with your sentiment to a point but...

1. NIL/Portal era a new coach can turn things around quicker
2. We hired a coach that was outside of the box... no college experience. It is evident his systems on both ends of floor are not working.

For Woodson's sake moving on may be the best thing for him.

As a former high school coach, I am reluctant to be a fire the coach guy. I could write a thesis statement on why he is not the guy though. Recruiting, relationships with players, and x's n o's are 3 key components. His recruiting has been vastly overrated in terms of fitting pieces together. Their execution on both ends is poor, and the losing/outside noise seems to be infiltrating the lockerroom. He is losing them. I think NIL and talent chasing led them astray. I am not bashing these kids talents or characters, but X, Ware, Reneau, and Mgbako have/had other priorities above winning games. Whether its cash, draft status, or whatever.
A very well thought out post, all of which I agree. That was very written and I appreciate the thoughtful conversation.

Miller was a flash in the pan at Dayton. He wasn’t a great candidate. If top echelon coaches wanted to be at IU it would have happened in the past 25 years. They will eventually part with Woodson and get another dud. Four sweet sixteens in 30 years. Nobody worth a shit is coming.

Once again revisionist history. Miller was lauded by EVERY poll and EVERY talking head as the TOP hire in college basketball. Even endorsed by RMK. To say, after the fact, that was a bad hire is 20/20 hindsight at best and nothing more.

Can you define flash in the pan?

Will write this again, you can't fire a guy after one bad season. You will never get anyone worth a crap to come to Indiana.

Now, I do agree that I don't think he is the answer. I've said from day one, IU is too prestigious of a program to recruit kids using NIL as the main attraction. You'll never build a sustainable culture that way.
Woodson should be so lucky he hadn't coached for almost ten years then Buckner came in and saved his ass now Woodson has a retirement on Indiana's dime. I would pay a mid major coach 500k and get the same result at 4 million.

Matt finished last in the Big Ten two years in a row. That was after winning the Big Ten championship.
I’m no Purdue expert, but it appears he finished last one time, which was his ninth year as coach and he already had a nice run with that Baby Boilers team he built to win the conference, which was pretty impressive.

Also, the season he finished last may have been impacted by his divorce.

Not comparable to IU’s situation now — no B1G title, no successful team built, etc.

He ended up being the wrong coach for a big school, things work differently here, but he took over a bad Dayton team that finished 7th and 8th in conference to two conference titles in six years along with some decent NCAA tourney wins for a school like Dayton. He built up the program there.

But who cares, if no good coach is coming as you say, IU is screwed, and it’s over forever.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
The many recent changes in college college basketball (portal, NIL) have lit a fire under the old adage ‘what have you done for me lately’? I would add that although it’s always been a business, I would argue that’s never been more true. In other words, money will always drown out the voices of individuals (Buckner).

Add to this:
- Very good possibility of losing our last 8 games of the regular season.
- Worst team since Crean’s 3rd year
- Incoming class, with no momentum
- Zero roster management
- Addition of 4 PAC 10 teams to the league next year, putting IU deeper into irrelevance
- And last, has Woody lost his team, which to me is the most important of any of the above.

The program has an inner toxicity that’s visible to anyone paying attention, so making a change at this point is not only smart, it’s simply the right thing to do. The only question is how to do it.

The many recent changes in college college basketball (portal, NIL) have lit a fire under the old adage ‘what have you done for me lately’? I would add that although it’s always been a business, I would argue that’s never been more true. In other words, money will always drown out the voices of individuals (Buckner).

Add to this:
- Very good possibility of losing our last 8 games of the regular season.
- Worst team since Crean’s 3rd year
- Incoming class, with no momentum
- Zero roster management
- Addition of 4 PAC 10 teams to the league next year, putting IU deeper into irrelevance
- And last, has Woody lost his team, which to me is the most important of any of the above.

The program has an inner toxicity that’s visible to anyone paying attention, so making a change at this point is not only smart, it’s simply the right thing to do. The only question is how to do it.
It’s going to be wild if Dolson tries to ride this out another year.

Anyone remember the Bears announcing the hiring of Head Coach Dave McGinnis? Only problem was that they thought he had accepted the job when he hadn’t.

In the sports business world, in order to be successful you need to have a BS detector.

I think this is what happened with Stevens.

Putting out feelers is one thing. Correctly interpreting a candidates interest is a different matter altogether. Even if there is a handshake agreement there is always the risk that the person is scared off by something odd lurking under the hood at last inspection.

The Woodson watch is getting louder. All of the media following IU bball are on it now. The Indy Star has written multiple articles in the last 2 weeks mentioning it. That includes 2 columns by Doyel within the last week focused on Woodson. If the losses keep piling up, the media speculation will increase. If it was a no brainer that he was coming back, then wouldn’t Dolson say that at some point very soon?

Reactions: Bucket Getter
The Woodson watch is getting louder. All of the media following IU bball are on it now. The Indy Star has written multiple articles in the last 2 weeks mentioning it. That includes 2 columns by Doyel within the last week focused on Woodson. If the losses keep piling up, the media speculation will increase. If it was a no brainer that he was coming back, then wouldn’t Dolson say that at some point very soon?
The spring portal starts mid-March. I think we’ll know by then, as the coach for next year will need five or so players from the portal, and it would be dumb to have Woody do the spring portal for his “system” and then switch him out later this year.

I still think it’s 50/50. IU wants to keep him but it’s so hard to make a case for it.

We’ve landed Crean, Miller, and Woodson. Why didn’t top coaches come then? Really think anyone worth a crap is landing in Bloomington? That’s why Woodson is here.
This has been my opinion for awhile. I feel that IU fans are delusional thinking this is a coveted job, and in reality, no one wants the job and Woodson was the best option we could find.

This has been my opinion for awhile. I feel that IU fans are delusional thinking this is a coveted job, and in reality, no one wants the job and Woodson was the best option we could find.
8th highest paid coaching position in College Basketball, at 4.2 million a year.

Your opinion is not based in reality.

Outside of Indiana media (nationally) , the consensus media opinion is that Wooden gets another year. Inside Indiana...the media opinion shifts the other way. Thats an interesting paradox. IU is at a crossroads...especially with so many high profile programs looking for a coach at the same time (OSU, LVille, etc) and the 4 team expansion next year. Woodson's biggest liability right now, imo, is his lack of recruiting success and potential success. Sliding further behind next season with a lame duck coach is a toxic Catch 22...

8th highest paid coaching position in College Basketball, at 4.2 million a year.

Your opinion is not based in reality.
Amazes me how people don’t understand money. Woody is a shit coach and we pay him top 10 money. Pearl or beard would get 5 mil a year + year one.

Make it ****ing happen.

Hmm, no mention of Dusty May. Has he fallen out of favor?
Maybe with some of his recent losses, but honestly there is no coaching hot board so no one knows to what extent there is a search or who it is if there is one.

Personally I’d really like to get someone from a big school and not a small one. The leap to IU can be tough (Archie for sure, somewhat for Crean). Ideally someone who brings their whole proven program: staff, NIL experience, recruiting connections, and some immediate xfers would be perfect.

Maybe with some of his recent losses, but honestly there is no coaching hot board so no one knows to what extent there is a search or who it is if there is one.

Personally I’d really like to get someone from a big school and not a small one. The leap to IU can be tough (Archie for sure, somewhat for Crean). Ideally someone who brings their whole proven program: staff, NIL experience, recruiting connections, and some immediate xfers would be perfect.
Unless Pearl got deathly ill he is as much as a guaranteed HR as ever. He would dominate with NIL and the fan base. AH would be electric. Look at auburn. Freaking auburn!!!

And your outlook seems delusional to me.

As Cav said, money talks and IU has and will continue to pay top dollar along with the other advantages IU has such as fan base, recruiting area and very good facilities.

In regards to Woodson, obviously rumors are that Dolson was influenced or ordered to hire him. NO ONE on here knows and there is too much reading between the lines taken as fact BUT one fact we do know is Dolson hire Matta and Dane. Why? Never had seen that kind of move before. My speculation is that Dolson really did not buy into Woodson as coach, was being forced and I could see him saying, Fine, but I am going to hire a couple of college guys to help him acclimate. Seems obvious to me that Woodson did not appreciate that jester so those two left and we are where we are.

There was a gap of 23 years between McCracken and RMK's NCAA chanpionships and three coaches. Now it stands at 37 years and 5 coaches since 87. NOW is the time for Dolson to take the bull by the horns, resist outside pressure, hopefully is backed up by the Pres and get a coach here to return IU to elite status. IMO, Mike isn't that guy.

I don't think IU fans believe they're the most coveted job. Regardless, that has nothing to do with the lack of production from the team. Are there 100+ other programs more coveted than IU? Because there over 100 coaches who are outperforming the coach we have.

With the advent of NIL, like it or not, now more than ever NCAA basketball is a business all about the $$$. As such, university admin and AD's must adjust their thinking accordingly. The practice of keeping a poor performing coach because its what has always been done as a show of loyalty/fairness must now be weighed against the $$$ factor. In any other business, if the highest paid employee on the payroll was performing behind 12 others (most of whom make less) would the boss keep that employee? If the company is losing donors/sponsors and recruits are choosing to go elsewhere and/or the recruits coming in are not developing at a reasonable rate, would the company retain said employee?

If IU has made the shift to operate IU bb as a business, Woodson must go. If not, IU can continue operating under the old way of thinking and be left behind not only by the current conference members but also those new ones coming on board next season.

Zero chance Woodson was the best option we could find. There are probably over 100 moderately successful college basketball coaches that would have given up their first born child to coach at IU.

After the Stevens attempt, we settled in on the concept of a former legend with deep NBA ties. And it seems there were key decision makers that carried that through to actually hiring him.

The last real search we did, we got the consensus “top available” candidate in Archie. He had plenty of options, including OSU, and chose IU.

Go after Collins from NW.

The spring portal starts mid-March. I think we’ll know by then, as the coach for next year will need five or so players from the portal, and it would be dumb to have Woody do the spring portal for his “system” and then switch him out later this year.

I still think it’s 50/50. IU wants to keep him but it’s so hard to make a case for it.
I truly think the next 3 weeks loom large. If things continue on the current trajectory, Woodson will be replaced. I agree that they really would like to give him another year, but something has to happen that would give Dolson something to point to that things can get turned around. What would that be? Win 2-3 of the remaining 5 games and win a game or 2 in the B1G tournament. I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe that is likely to happen.

Last edited:
Zero chance Woodson was the best option we could find. There are probably over 100 moderately successful college basketball coaches that would have given up their first born child to coach at IU.

After the Stevens attempt, we settled in on the concept of a former legend with deep NBA ties. And it seems there were key decision makers that carried that through to actually hiring him.

The last real search we did, we got the consensus “top available” candidate in Archie. He had plenty of options, including OSU, and chose IU.
I think Dolson wanted an IU guy, and let’s face it, the coaching tree at that point was Woodson and Alford. Dolson I think saw Fife needing a little more seasoning and added him as an assistant thinking, in a perfect world, Woodson coaches for 3-4 years and turns it over to Dane. That went to hell in a hand basket quickly obviously and here we are.

IU can get a good coach. With the pay, fan support, and NIL any sensible coach knows they have the ability to win here and would be a darling of the state. Everyone wants to point at the fan base being unrealistic. Total bullshit. The fan base is the only thing holding this together. The product on the floor hasn’t warranted the fan support the program receives. IU has made bad hires. And how each of the coaches that have been fired (save Sampson who wasn’t let go because of on court performance) have performed in their next stops just confirms that. Get the right guy that runs a modern offense (big Woodson issue, among others), has some personality (Archie problem), and isn’t a weirdo (Crean).

Trilly is pretty plugged into the chatter if you follow him on recruiting.

I don’t know what happens, just passing along that there are “discussions”. Not sure how much donations and attendance fall with a really bad bball team, but a 10% decrease is $3-4M of revenue, so it can start to materially impact the athletic dept bottom line. Then there are our NIL donors who may pull back and risk to our brand (yea I know it’s already been hurt). We’ll see.
He isn't going anywhere. Quinn has his back.

• Sad
Reactions: Bucket Getter
I truly think the next 3 weeks loom large. It things continue on the current trajectory, Woodson will be replaced. I agree that they really would like to give him another year, but something has to happen that would give Dolson something to point to that things can get turned around. What would that be? Win 2-3 of the remaining 5 games and win a game or 2 in the B1G tournament. I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe that is likely to happen.
Agree. I’d guess Dolson is dealing with daily deluge of unhappy fans, AD donors, and NIL donors, which is bad, and also going to create revenue decline. Does he want that for another year?

It’s just so hard to justify results this bad and an outlook this rough. We don’t really have one good win this year. What do you even tell people?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT