ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Patterson

Victorbmyboy

Hall of Famer
Nov 10, 2014
Looks like he is announcing on his Birthday. June 18th. Rumblings are we have a very good shot.

What makes you prefer the 83rd ranked player over the 28th? Do you think you know that much more than the experts?

The 83rd ranked recruit is another recruit from state of Indiana, great student, AAU teammate with many current players so culture/playing adjustment should be minimal. Perhaps also get an extra year of an 83 ranked recruit vs. 28. This is a likely situation where either recruit will be a welcomed addition.

Reactions: darkhawk returns
The 83rd ranked recruit is another recruit from state of Indiana, great student, AAU teammate with many current players so culture/playing adjustment should be minimal. Perhaps also get an extra year of an 83 ranked recruit vs. 28. This is a likely situation where either recruit will be a welcomed addition.
Agree that both would be good additions. I just always love when people believe they know more than the experts because of their bias.

Agree that both would be good additions. I just always love when people believe they know more than the experts because of their bias.

I’m not so sure guys like Evan Daniels and Brian Snow are “experts”. Appreciate their commentary but on what grounds is Brian Snow able to assess basketball talent? He’s a writer, not a scout.

In your view, he's hedging the most likely outcome by preferring 83 vs. 28? Wow, a real deep and profound thought.

I’m not so sure guys like Evan Daniels and Brian Snow are “experts”. Appreciate their commentary but on what grounds is Brian Snow able to assess basketball talent? He’s a writer, not a scout.

True. And even scouts don’t exactly have a flawless track record. Far from it.

The leading scorer in IU and Big Ten history barely eked into an 11th hour scholarship offer...and he wasn’t spurning Duke and North Carolina when he accepted it.

It’s why the best player in the NFL right now saw 9 guys go before him in the draft and the most successful QB in NFL history saw 198 players taken before him. Ryan Leaf, on the other hand, went second.

There’s a reason mock redrafts invariably look very different than actual drafts. This isn’t an exact science. That doesn’t mean we should disregard scout ratings entirely. But neither should they be treated as gospel.

Reactions: 76-1
Neither of those work for Rivals do they?

True. And even scouts don’t exactly have a flawless track record. Far from it.

The leading scorer in IU and Big Ten history barely eked into an 11th hour scholarship offer...and he wasn’t spurning Duke and North Carolina when he accepted it.

It’s why the best player in the NFL right now saw 9 guys go before him in the draft and the most successful QB in NFL history saw 198 players taken before him. Ryan Leaf, on the other hand, went second.

There’s a reason mock redrafts invariably look very different than actual drafts. This isn’t an exact science. That doesn’t mean we should disregard scout ratings entirely. But neither should they be treated as gospel.

Just a funny tidbit. Last years Rivals #28th ranked player last year Will Baker, averaged 8 mpg and averaged 2 points and 1 rebound a game for a Texas team that was going to miss the tournament. The #83rd ranked player, Jamie Jarquez, started 2/3 of his teams games at UCLA and averaged 10 and 5 as a 6'5 guard. I'm sure FPeaugh knew that though.

Fpeaugh...
I stand by Lander being one of the most overrated 25 th ranked player I've ever seen.
By Christmas the board will be full of he was ranked what ?

Fpeaugh...
I stand by Lander being one of the most overrated 25 th ranked player I've ever seen.
I would urge caution. I saw TJD play multiple times throughout his high school career and I thought he would be a candidate to redshirt his freshman year. Kids get bigger, stronger, and more skilled from the end of their high school season to the beginning of the next. Also, the players around them makes a huge difference in what/how they are able to contribute at the next level. I've learned not to rush to judgement, particularly over the opinions of college coaches whose careers depend on being able to evaluate talent.

I remember when I was in high school my neighbor railing about how stupid it was of IU to recruit Larry Bird, who he was convinced was going to be a total bust as a college player. While circumstances made for Bird not contributing at IU, I'd say he ended up being a pretty good college player. Easy to see why BK and staff wanted him in Bloomington.

Fpeaugh...

What a comment. So if he's not playing like an AA 1 month into his career (playing up a class) he's a bust? Here are some of the more recent players to be ranked 25th per Rivals

2014-Kameran Chatham; originally a Michigan commit avg 3 ppg and transferred to Detroit
2015-Luke Kennard; Duke commit and lottery pick. Great player
2016-Ike Anigbogu; UCLA commit. Played 1 year avg 4 ppg playing 13 mpg; declared early
2017-Jontay Porter; Mizzou commit; avg 9 ppg played 1 year
2018-Louis King; Oregon commit; avg 13 ppg played 1 year
2019-Tre Mann; Florida commit; avg 5 ppg in 17 minutes as a freshman last year

I'm guessing outside Luke Kennard and Jontay Porter (because of his brother Michael) you've never even heard of these other guys. Would bet Lander has a better college career than every single player on that list minus Luke Kennard.

Reactions: kkott and 76-1
100% crystal ball to Villanova. I’d love to get him but it seems unlikely.
The one thing to keep an eye on is his visits. Only two got them. Florida and IU. IU also only has 1 guy who plays his position. Been hearing he is very high on IU.

Just a funny tidbit. Last years Rivals #28th ranked player last year Will Baker, averaged 8 mpg and averaged 2 points and 1 rebound a game for a Texas team that was going to miss the tournament. The #83rd ranked player, Jamie Jarquez, started 2/3 of his teams games at UCLA and averaged 10 and 5 as a 6'5 guard. I'm sure FPeaugh knew that though.

Evidence that points towards what my intuition tells me...rating 16-18 year old kids, in a team sport, is, and always will be, an in exact exercise. Especially when you’re trying to use those rankings to project how good they’ll be in a different environment.

Having said that...I think most of the services do a pretty good job, especially at the top. As the rankings get lower, they get progressively less accurate. But the “odds” of a player ranked 28th being a good player, in general, in college and beyond are higher than an 83rd ranked player.

But it seems the talent pool is growing, and with that, the gap between the 100th ranked player and the 20th ranked player, is smaller than it used to be. So other factors like playing style, how they fit on a roster, etc... become bigger factors for a kids success than the ranking.

Long winded way of saying I still think the rankings matter. But don’t think the gap is big enough any more in the top 100-150, for them to be taken as gospel.

Trey Kaufman would be a “5 star level” commitment for us, as an example. In state kid, versatile/long forward which will be a big need, capable of scoring in different ways.

Evidence that points towards what my intuition tells me...rating 16-18 year old kids, in a team sport, is, and always will be, an in exact exercise. Especially when you’re trying to use those rankings to project how good they’ll be in a different environment.

Having said that...I think most of the services do a pretty good job, especially at the top. As the rankings get lower, they get progressively less accurate. But the “odds” of a player ranked 28th being a good player, in general, in college and beyond are higher than an 83rd ranked player.

But it seems the talent pool is growing, and with that, the gap between the 100th ranked player and the 20th ranked player, is smaller than it used to be. So other factors like playing style, how they fit on a roster, etc... become bigger factors for a kids success than the ranking.

Long winded way of saying I still think the rankings matter. But don’t think the gap is big enough any more in the top 100-150, for them to be taken as gospel.

Trey Kaufman would be a “5 star level” commitment for us, as an example. In state kid, versatile/long forward which will be a big need, capable of scoring in different ways.

Not to mention timing. Losing Brunk for sure and TJD likely. We need frontcourt players! It would be a tremendous rabbit out of the hat, but getting a post player for this coming year with 2 years or more of eligibility would be great, to give us a more seasoned post player next year if we do lose TJD.

Not to mention timing. Losing Brunk for sure and TJD likely. We need frontcourt players! It would be a tremendous rabbit out of the hat, but getting a post player for this coming year with 2 years or more of eligibility would be great, to give us a more seasoned post player next year if we do lose TJD.
This kid would be great. Versatile 3-4. He can play either spot well. We really need a stretch 4.

One thing you are is consistently inconsistent. When it came to whether or not IU was safely in the tournament, your opinion was the opposite of 99% of the experts.
The experts don’t predict stolen bids in conference tournaments yet it happens every year. This is really basic kid.

Kaufman is closer to a 3 star than a 5 star. Why do we put unrealistic expectations on recruits every single year and never learn?

Kaufman is closer to a 3 star than a 5 star. Why do we put unrealistic expectations on recruits every single year and never learn?

Cody exceeded my expectations, TJD exceeded my expectations, Noah met my expectations, Yogi met them, Romeo did not meet them. Lander will exceed them.

Cody exceeded my expectations, TJD exceeded my expectations, Noah met my expectations, Yogi met them, Romeo did not meet them. Lander will exceed them.
Of course. Next year’s guy is always the answer. He’s going to solve our problems! Same story just different names each year.

The experts don’t predict stolen bids in conference tournaments yet it happens every year. This is really basic kid.
How many stolen bids on average are there? Give some numbers. Remember stolen bids sometimes is misconstrued. Most if not every time a bid is taken from a bubble team. You also aren’t understanding conference tournaments only really matter in the mid majors. Very rarely does a sunbelt...etc get more than 2 teams in. IU was clearly not on the bubble as you claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al Bino and mattn7

We were far enough off the bubble that it wouldn’t have mattered how many bid stealers there would have been.

Also we won our first BTT game in convincing fashion.

Also, most/many of the conference tourneys were over already. And the most of the mid stealing had already happened...and were factored into all the predictors projections.

IU made the tourney. Only someone looking for negative stuff would argue otherwise.

Learn what?

That guys like Vic and OG can become NBA first rounders, being ranked lower than Trey?

That guys like Juwan and Jordan Hulls can make a huge impact on our programs success, being ranked lower than Trey.

That guys like Jeremy Hollowell and Hanner Perea aren’t guaranteed to work out, being ranked higher than Trey.

The “odds” at this point are Patterson is, and will be, a better college player than Kaufman. Doesn’t mean Kaufman isn’t a huge get for us. And that his impact won’t be “5 star like”. They both would be huge gets.

Reactions: mattn7
Stop with the nonsense. I just spit water out of my nose. You really are a troll and a hack. Holy crap.

Stop with the nonsense. I just spit water out of my nose. You really are a troll and a hack. Holy crap.
It’s a fact. He’s ranked 83rd. That’s 64 spots from being a 5 star and only 37 spots from being a 3 star. How are you always so clueless?

Learn what?

That guys like Vic and OG can become NBA first rounders, being ranked lower than Trey?

That guys like Juwan and Jordan Hulls can make a huge impact on our programs success, being ranked lower than Trey.

That guys like Jeremy Hollowell and Hanner Perea aren’t guaranteed to work out, being ranked higher than Trey.

The “odds” at this point are Patterson is, and will be, a better college player than Kaufman. Doesn’t mean Kaufman isn’t a huge get for us. And that his impact won’t be “5 star like”. They both would be huge gets.
He would be a good get but nothing close to a 5 star impact. It’s basic statistics.

You could put $20 in a Vegas slot machine and win $1 million. But the house always wins because the odds are in their favor. Same with the blue bloods in basketball. The odds are in their favor because they get the highest ranked recruits.

We were far enough off the bubble that it wouldn’t have mattered how many bid stealers there would have been.

Also we won our first BTT game in convincing fashion.

Also, most/many of the conference tourneys were over already. And the most of the mid stealing had already happened...and were factored into all the predictors projections.

IU made the tourney. Only someone looking for negative stuff would argue otherwise.
It would be the first time in history the 11th place Big Ten team made the tournament. Truly historic. That’s no guarantee.

How many stolen bids on average are there? Give some numbers. Remember stolen bids sometimes is misconstrued. Most if not every time a bid is taken from a bubble team. You also aren’t understanding conference tournaments only really matter in the mid majors. Very rarely does a sunbelt...etc get more than 2 teams in. IU was clearly not on the bubble as you claim.
I’d say 3-8 every year. Plenty of teams out of the tournament get hot and maybe make the semifinals or finals of a conference tourney and jump others. Bottom line is brackets are completely worthless before conference tournaments.

I’d say 3-8 every year. Plenty of teams out of the tournament get hot and maybe make the semifinals or finals of a conference tourney and jump others. Bottom line is brackets are completely worthless before conference tournaments.
You goof! The committee even stated the power 5 tournaments have no bearing on their decisions. Might change seeding and that’s it. You can’t be serious that 8 power 5 teams get knocked out. Give us 3-8 examples.

You goof! The committee even stated the power 5 tournaments have no bearing on their decisions. Might change seeding and that’s it. You can’t be serious that 8 power 5 teams get knocked out. Give us 3-8 examples.
The tournaments have no bearing on their decisions?

The tournaments have no bearing on their decisions?
They said it. I didn’t. Look it up. They clearly said power 5. The committee isn’t going to wait until the power 5 games are over on Sunday to figure out all seedings and who’s in. The brackets are pretty much done before those games are over.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT