ADVERTISEMENT

Trey done for the year?

Wow I have had 4 torn meniscus surgeries, and they never took that long to fully recover. I have had two ACL reconstructions, and they took longer but meniscus surgery usually is not that bad.

Isiah Swope is playing out the season for ISU and will not have his meniscus tear repaired until after the season.
Meniscus is generally the quickest to recover from of any knee injury. I think Cody had that in Charlotte had surgery and was playing again in 5-6 weeks. I'm sure there are different degrees, but if you're going to have a knee injury, that's generally the best one to have, from what little I know. But, yes, if he tore or seriously injured his meniscus, he's probably done for the year since there are only a few weeks left.

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Are you intentionally throwing out BS? Not to jump ahead of the docs on here, but that is a fairly easy surgery to rehabilitate. A young stud athlete like Trey would likely be back on the court within a few months. I had the same in my 40s and was back playing bball in 4 months. And have never had an issue with it since. It’s a very common surgery.
I think that's the difference: folks talking about their wives or their own meniscus injury for someone in their 40s and 50s is a totally different thing than an early twenties D1 athlete, with PT and training staff and pretty much unlimited time and resources to rehab. I'm sure there are exceptions, but if you're going to tear a knee ligament, meniscus is usually the least severe and in most cases athletes recover pretty quickly and fully. If he tore his meniscus, he's done for our year, but with a whole offseason to recover, he should be 100% by next year... heck, by June most likely.

Last edited:
no, i'm not at all, just stating what i have personally witnessed as far as "feeling yourself" again after that surgery. You are you, Trey is Trey, my wife is my wife ... nothing more implied. I just know it takes a long time to feel like yourself again, let alone play B10 ball at the level he had in like 6 months. Not suggesting he do anything other than what he wants to do.
I must have had better luck. Surgery was Friday. I could walk the next day and was at work Monday. Wasn’t playing power 5 conference basketball of course.

He's already charmed himself into another season so doubt he will as much as he did with X. Even with the injuries, IU shouldnt have lost to NW, PSU at home. 12-8 and 1-1 this week could have gotten his behind in Dayton next week.
Do you guys gear yourselves, making excuses for him? He has said nothing like that. His motto has always been the next man up.

I think that's the difference: folks talking about their wives or their own meniscus injury for someone in their 40s and 50s is a totally different thing than an early twenties D1 athlete, with PT and training staff and pretty much unlimited time and resources to rehab. I'm sure there are exceptions, but if you're going to tear a knee ligament, meniscus is usually the least severe and in most cases athletes recover pretty quickly and fully. If he tore his meniscus, he's done for our year, but with a whole offseason to recover, he should be 100% by next year... heck, by June most likely.
I think we both can agree...once you hit 50...things just don't heal like they used do. Even hangovers. dammit.

Do you guys gear yourselves, making excuses for him? He has said nothing like that. His motto has always been the next man up.
Except when he's used X's injury, over and over and over again, this year as an excuse. And when he used Race's injuries last year.

Woody does often say "Next man up" type phrases. But very often immediately follows it up with "but man, you know its tough without X" type comments.

I think we both can agree...once you hit 50...things just don't heal like they used do. Even hangovers. dammit.
After watching those late night games at the pub, drink water before bedtime. It counteracts the dehydration caused by the alcohol.

You'll have to get up during the night but, since you're 50, you're probably doing that anyway.

After watching those late night games at the pub, drink water before bedtime. It counteracts the dehydration caused by the alcohol.

You'll have to get up during the night but, since you're 50, you're probably doing that anyway.
I've learned to work a water in between each drink. My co-worker swears on taking B6 tablets with water before sleep. I also have some of those hangover patches which is basically a mass infusion of B6 and B12. Got a big trade show in DC next week, three nights straight, so we'll see how it goes.

Getting up at night.....don't even start. I don't get 7 hrs of sleep anymore. I take three consecutive 2 hour naps and wake up feeling like shite most mornings. Getting old sucks.

I've learned to work a water in between each drink. My co-worker swears on taking B6 tablets with water before sleep. I also have some of those hangover patches which is basically a mass infusion of B6 and B12. Got a big trade show in DC next week, three nights straight, so we'll see how it goes.

Getting up at night.....don't even start. I don't get 7 hrs of sleep anymore. I take three consecutive 2 hour naps and wake up feeling like shite most mornings. Getting old sucks.
In the same boat. My Doctor told me to just try and be very intentional about sleep. No caffeine after my morning coffee, and limit drinking anything after 7pm where possible and then empty your bladder before bed. If I do those things, I can generally limit it to 1 bathroom break a night. If I go out drinking and don't? Man, could be up 5-6X. I haven't sworn off drinking, but I don't drink much at all now. Hardly ever by myself and try and stop after 2-3 most other nights. I also do the water between each alcoholic drink and that helps a ton and I think is good advice for anyone.

Like anything else, the severity of the tear, how much damage there was around the meniscus, how Trey responds to the surgery when/if he has one... that will determine whether he plays any more this season, or if he has surgery, how well he recovers. I'd be surprised if it was bad enough that it would effect him next season, no matter what though.

Of NBA coaches that have 400 games minimum CMW’s win % of 46.3% is 33 worst in history. Of those 33 only 15 have more than 350 losses (CMW 365 losses). There are 109 coaches that have 400+ games so CMW is in rarified company keeping his job with poor results.

Of NBA coaches that have 400 games minimum CMW’s win % of 46.3% is 33 worst in history. Of those 33 only 15 have more than 350 losses (CMW 365 losses). There are 109 coaches that have 400+ games so CMW is in rarified company keeping his job with poor results.
Stop...I'm trying to keep optimistic thoughts afloat in my head!

• Haha
Meniscus is generally the quickest to recover from of any knee injury. I think Cody had that in Charlotte had surgery and was playing again in 5-6 weeks. I'm sure there are different degrees, but if you're going to have a knee injury, that's generally the best one to have, from what little I know. But, yes, if he tore or seriously injured his meniscus, he's probably done for the year since there are only a few weeks left.
"he's probably done for the year since there are only a few weeks left."

More than likely.... JUST ONE NIGHT LEFT. :(

• Haha
Just heard he has a torn meniscus. Hope he has a speedy recovery.
Since folks can't resist anecdotal stories based on a single friend, relative, or personal experience and offering it as gospel, "here's the deal":
The management of meniscal tears depends upon the type of tear (eg, intrasubstance, horizontal, or vertical), the presence of significant mechanical symptoms, and the presence of persistent knee effusions. Small intrasubstance and vertical tears that cause infrequent symptoms and do not interfere with general knee function can be managed medically with rest, activity restriction, and physical therapy. Studies have reported no greater improvement in short-term functional outcomes from surgery, and many clinicians try to exhaust conservative management options before referring such patients for surgery

In the same boat. My Doctor told me to just try and be very intentional about sleep. No caffeine after my morning coffee, and limit drinking anything after 7pm where possible and then empty your bladder before bed. If I do those things, I can generally limit it to 1 bathroom break a night. If I go out drinking and don't? Man, could be up 5-6X. I haven't sworn off drinking, but I don't drink much at all now. Hardly ever by myself and try and stop after 2-3 most other nights. I also do the water between each alcoholic drink and that helps a ton and I think is good advice for anyone.
yep doing same thing. We had our yearly sales conf in January and a few people asked me if I had gone to a dry life. Just told them I can't hang with the youngins anymore. Anytime my wife drags me to a weekend party and I put them down in mass quantities to fight off the boredom, I spent the entire next day on the couch cursing God. Travel work days with a hangover are the worst. Did that a few yrs back and had to do a preso the next morning and almost threw up on my shoes in front of people. Never again.

yep doing same thing. We had our yearly sales conf in January and a few people asked me if I had gone to a dry life. Just told them I can't hang with the youngins anymore. Anytime my wife drags me to a weekend party and I put them down in mass quantities to fight off the boredom, I spent the entire next day on the couch cursing God. Travel work days with a hangover are the worst. Did that a few yrs back and had to do a preso the next morning and almost threw up on my shoes in front of people. Never again.
Tfd101 GIF by Tacoma FD

Just wear rubber boots -washes right off.

Except when he's used X's injury, over and over and over again, this year as an excuse. And when he used Race's injuries last year.

Woody does often say "Next man up" type phrases. But very often immediately follows it up with "but man, you know its tough without X" type comments.
Kind of like “it’s on me, but I don’t miss those shots”

yeah I know. The nights of meetings 10 yrs ago were stuff of legends. We were actually asked not to return to a particular hotel in S Florida one year, after various incidents including a couple visits from the local police. I think some of us cannot legally enter the city limits of Boca Raton. Now, we're shells of our former abusive selves.

yeah I know. The nights of meetings 10 yrs ago were stuff of legends. We were actually asked not to return to a particular hotel in S Florida one year, after various incidents including a couple visits from the local police. I think some of us cannot legally enter the city limits of Boca Raton. Now, we're shells of our former abusive selves.
Maybe don't go to Puerto Rico for vacation either, as an IU fan.

Are you intentionally throwing out BS? Not to jump ahead of the docs on here, but that is a fairly easy surgery to rehabilitate. A young stud athlete like Trey would likely be back on the court within a few months. I had the same in my 40s and was back playing bball in 4 months. And have never had an issue with it since. It’s a very common surgery.
That's what I was thinking. Meniscus tears are very common, & certainly not typically the most severe as far as knee injuries & surgeries go.

The meniscus is not actually a ligament but a cartilage "pad" between the femur and the tibia.

The extent and location of the damage determines what treatment may or may not be necessary.

In Trey's case we should know more tonight.....

Last edited:
No an orthopod but a medical device distributor for 30 years. Countless hours in OR supporting orthopedics, including joint replacement, spine surgery, cardiac surgery
The way CMW sees it-every cloud has a silver lining (every injury provides a new excuse). The Next Excuse Up coaching philosophy he honed through hundreds of NBA losses.
so loosing another senior guard isn’t a problem or have any negative impact on this team?

Or, you could just drink Coors Lite. (The water is already mixed in.)

Watching IU play this year would drive anyone to drink , even if they haven't before!

Or, you could just drink Coors Lite. (The water is already mixed in.)
I’m not a domestic beer guy much. I’ll tell you when it’s 110 heat index. I love me some almost-so-cold-it-almost-freezes blue mountain Coors light. After working all day and mowing especially.

• Love
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT