ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer QB options?

Lillyr66

Redshirt
Feb 17, 2016
I just noticed that Tristan Gebbia transferred to O$U - I didn't hear anything about this. I thought he was an IU lean after the spring semester. Who is out there that the IU staff should be talking to? What about the Cincinnati QB that just went into the transfer portal?

Cincy QB would be a Bazelak 2.0 situation. Complete antithesis of what our staff has said we want in a QB.

Cincy QB would be a Bazelak 2.0 situation. Complete antithesis of what our staff has said we want in a QB.
Considering that's what we have in place now, what are the options? At least he knows how to find the endzone: Ben Bryant ended the season with 2,732 passing yards and 21 passing touchdowns. He threw for 314 first-half passing yards in a 45-24 win against the Indiana Hoosiers in September. 35 TD's/5800 yards passing in in the past 2 years.

Considering that's what we have in place now, what are the options? At least he knows how to find the endzone: Ben Bryant ended the season with 2,732 passing yards and 21 passing touchdowns. He threw for 314 first-half passing yards in a 45-24 win against the Indiana Hoosiers in September. 35 TD's/5800 yards passing in in the past 2 years.
If your options are trying to shoehorn in a guy just because he is experience (who doesn’t fit the style of offense you want to run AGAIN), or letting your young guys who do fit what you want to do work through the growing pains; I would pick the latter.

Just because he has been a reasonably successful QB at other stops doesn’t mean anything (and if Cincy thought highly of him and his prospects in 2023 they would be keeping him and not letting him transfer away for the second time)

If you want experience for the sake of experience then yeah he’s the ideal option. But that’s a recipe for a repeat of 2022.

If your options are trying to shoehorn in a guy just because he is experience (who doesn’t fit the style of offense you want to run AGAIN), or letting your young guys who do fit what you want to do work through the growing pains; I would pick the latter.

Just because he has been a reasonably successful QB at other stops doesn’t mean anything (and if Cincy thought highly of him and his prospects in 2023 they would be keeping him and not letting him transfer away for the second time)

If you want experience for the sake of experience then yeah he’s the ideal option. But that’s a recipe for a repeat of 2022.
You may be right. All of our current QBs are unproven so it will be interesting to see!!

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'll be a Hot Fudge Sundae we don't add one....from his talk, unless he continues to play some serious cards to his chest, CTA is going with the 4 and not letting us know how far along Williams rehab is going
That would be an incredibly risky approach. They’re keeping the search quiet, but there is a search for the right guy.

I'll be a Hot Fudge Sundae we don't add one....from his talk, unless he continues to play some serious cards to his chest, CTA is going with the 4 and not letting us know how far along Williams rehab is going
I've learned over the years never to bet on the Hoosiers-to win or lose. Long time crazy IU Football fan and I've lost a lot of hair over the years but wouldn't change a thing about my passion for the program. I would love to see Williams back at some point this year.

I've learned over the years never to bet on the Hoosiers-to win or lose. Long time crazy IU Football fan and I've lost a lot of hair over the years but wouldn't change a thing about my passion for the program. I would love to see Williams back at some point this year.
Williams is definitely a wild car in the QB competition. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him under center the first game.

would love it if Williams was healthy next fall but don't want him rushed back, and i'm a hold him out longer than needed rather than shorter, to be on the safe side guy.

that said, if only we had a 4 star QB on the team with a big arm, speed, and size.

oh wait,
Penix was entirely healthy to start the 2022 season but he wasn’t ready to play, and it was one of many things that didn’t go well for us that season. Overcoming a serious injury is about more than just the physical healing.

would love it if Williams was healthy next fall but don't want him rushed back, and i'm a hold him out longer than needed rather than shorter, to be on the safe side guy.

that said, if only we had a 4 star QB on the team with a big arm, speed, and size.

oh wait,
exactly. everyone wants dexter back,(including me.) but if he doesn't make it back this year, don't we have the same kind of QB in jackson?

Williams is definitely a wild car in the QB competition. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him under center the first game.
From what I recall he had a serious injury that normally takes a year to heal and then how long after that would it take to get back into football shape ?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
I just noticed that Tristan Gebbia transferred to O$U - I didn't hear anything about this. I thought he was an IU lean after the spring semester. Who is out there that the IU staff should be talking to? What about the Cincinnati QB that just went into the transfer portal?
I thought it was the other Oregon St QB, Nolan who was the IU lean? Gebbia isn’t going to OSU to compete for the job. He stated that he wants to coach after graduating. He pretty much accepted that he will just provide depth and be 3rd or even 4th.

Penix was entirely healthy to start the 2022 season but he wasn’t ready to play, and it was one of many things that didn’t go well for us that season. Overcoming a serious injury is about more than just the physical healing.

who said anything about Penix.

that said, no one was ever more fair to a player than CTA to Penix, and MP couldn't have given a bigger finger back to CTA and IU in return.

i wish MP well and hope he stays healthy, but will never root for him again for one second.

I thought it was the other Oregon St QB, Nolan who was the IU lean? Gebbia isn’t going to OSU to compete for the job. He stated that he wants to coach after graduating. He pretty much accepted that he will just provide depth and be 3rd or even 4th.
It was Nolan from Oregon State and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't still end up getting him when all is said and done...

The big hold up during the first Portal cycle with him was his matching up his quarter system credits with the semester system here (in his area of study)... All that should be cleared up soon... As I recall, he was on track to graduate...

From what I recall he had a serious injury that normally takes a year to heal and then how long after that would it take to get back into football shape ?
It's my impression that he won't be physically ready to go until the middle of next season... It would make more sense for him to take a medical redshirt for next Fall (unless he already gets a sixth year for Covid [I've lost track]...). At any rate..., pushing him out there as early as possible when a big part of his game is his ability to make plays with his legs is just asking for trouble, in my opinion...

It was Nolan from Oregon State and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't still end up getting him when all is said and done...

The big hold up during the first Portal cycle with him was his matching up his quarter system credits with the semester system here (in his area of study)... All that should be cleared up soon... As I recall, he was on track to graduate...
The dude straight sucks so I am sure that Allen and that goof of an OC are making an all out push to get him

exactly. everyone wants dexter back,(including me.) but if he doesn't make it back this year, don't we have the same kind of QB in jackson?
Hard to say. We never saw enough of Dexter to really know what kind of total QB he was. Same with Tayven, we won’t know until probably after the Louisville game. The only way we will know is if they beat OSU, then we’ve got ourselves a gamer.

It's my impression that he won't be physically ready to go until the middle of next season... It would make more sense for him to take a medical redshirt for next Fall (unless he already gets a sixth year for Covid [I've lost track]...). At any rate..., pushing him out there as early as possible when a big part of his game is his ability to make plays with his legs is just asking for trouble, in my opinion...
The rumor I heard last Saturday was that Dexter was ahead of schedule and expects to be ready for fall camp. I’ll believe it when I see it, but reporting what I heard.

It would be better for IU to stay with their plan for offense and QB. Getting a QB that doesn't fit sets back recruiting in the future.
Absolutely, for HOOSIERS to be successful QB, OL and RB's have to fit offensive philosophy to attain goals. Same for D which needs a hair on fire edge warrior, laterally quick LB's and in your face DB'S. Add competent, opportunistic ST's play. Tall demands but possible with enough roster fits. Still believe Coach Allen is good at picking personnel he can mold. Including his staff assistants and support HR. I like this present staff as well as staff that included Kane and KD.

The rumor I heard last Saturday was that Dexter was ahead of schedule and expects to be ready for fall camp. I’ll believe it when I see it, but reporting what I heard.
Running for his life against the OSU defense would be good on his surgically repaired knee.

Reactions: bang63
No excuses!! Indiana is making a mint off of their lucrative TV contract, now bring someone in with plenty of experience. Put that money to recruiting!!

Is there half a brain up there????

No excuses!! Indiana is making a mint off of their lucrative TV contract, now bring someone in with plenty of experience. Put that money to recruiting!!

That's not what the TV money is for.

NIL can't be used with university funds. It's gotta be booster or collective funds to not be a violation.

We need to invest in a new indoor practice facility. We do that, we have a better chance at getting better players by showing kids we are committed to football here.

The school cannot pay recruits directly, nor add to NIL funds, especially directly from Athletic Department revenue. I know, I know, it happens indirectly all of the time, but above board, NIL is separate outside funding. If it were the case, all Big10 teams would be buying players based off of network funds.

That's right it was Nolan....thanks for the correction. I think they will still try to get some experience through the portal as well.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13

NIL can't be used with university funds. It's gotta be booster or collective funds to not be a violation.

We need to invest in a new indoor practice facility. We do that, we have a better chance at getting better players by showing kids we are committed to football here.
We have the need for a new practice facility, has there been anything formal announced by the university as to when it will be addressed?

There are three phases to a rehab and all have to go well and complete.

The physical rehab of the affected joint/muscle/etc
Getting the entire body into game shape
The mental aspect of stressing that rehabbed area at full game speed.

There are three phases to a rehab and all have to go well and complete.

The physical rehab of the affected joint/muscle/etc
Getting the entire body into game shape
The mental aspect of stressing that rehabbed area at full game speed.
If Dexter is ready to compete come Fall camp it will be a miracle. It would be great to have him back and ready to compete but it is unlikely he will be ready. If Dexter is ready then IU will have a very strong QB room that will be great at running the offense.

The school cannot pay recruits directly, nor add to NIL funds, especially directly from Athletic Department revenue. I know, I know, it happens indirectly all of the time, but above board, NIL is separate outside funding. If it were the case, all Big10 teams would be buying players based off of network funds.

you guys don't follow politics much, do you.

of course you can.

the school or coach funnels the money through a 3rd party, and back to the players.

instant legalization.

1st rule of NIL, there are no rules that can't be gotten around in 2 seconds.

there are tons of knowledgeable fball and bball coaches out there that would be more than thrilled to coach IU or any major school for 10th what we're paying now.

instead of investing 8 mil yr in fball coaches and recruiting, cut that down to $700,000.

that leaves $2 mil a yr for a QB, $1 mil yr for a left tackle, $1 mil each for 2 elite edge rushers, $750,000 each for a receiver and TE, $500,000 yr each for 3 at large more players of need, and $300,000 for another.

and that's before any actual donor or advertiser NIL money is figured in.

as for basketball, instead of investing $6 mil yr in coaches and recruiting, pay $700,000 there too.

that leaves $5.3 mil a yr in NIL for players before any actual booster or advertiser money is figured in.

you guys spend $8 mil yr in fball for coaches and recruiting, and zero university money for players outside the scholly. (not counting booster NIL money).

i'll spend $700,000 yr for coaches, and $7.3 mil a yr for a QB, a couple edge rushers, a LT, a TE, a WR, a backer, a DB. (not counting booster NIL money).

then we'll tee it up and see who wins.

Last edited:

of course you can.

the school or coach funnels the money through a booster or organization, and back to the players.

there are tons of knowledgeable fball and bball coaches out there that would be more than thrilled to coach IU or any major school for 10th what we're paying now.

instead of investing 8 mil yr in fball coaches and recruiting, cut that down to $700,000.

that leaves $2 mil a yr for a QB, $1 mil yr for a left tackle, $1 mil each for 2 elite edge rushers, $750,000 each for a receiver and TE, $500,000 yr each for 3 at large more players of need, and $300,000 for another.

and that's before any actual donor or advertiser money is figured in.

as for basketball, instead of investing $6 mil yr in coaches and recruiting, pay $700,000 there too.

that leaves $5.3 mil a yr in NIL for players before any actual booster or advertiser money is figured in.

you guys spend $8 mil yr in fball for coaches and recruiting, and zero university money for players outside the scholly. (not counting booster NIL money).

i'll spend $700,000 yr for coaches, and $7.3 mil a yr for a QB, a couple edge rushers, a LT, a TE, a WR, a backer, a DB. (not counting booster NIL money).

of course you can.

the school or coach funnels the money through a booster or organization, and back to the players.

and that's before any actual donor or advertiser money is figured in.

Name one school who is doing that. I do follow politics. It would take IU ten years to adopt that policy. Propose it at the next BOT’s meeting. You spent way too much time thinking about a meaningless post.

Name one school who is doing that. I do follow politics. It would take IU ten years to adopt that policy. Propose it at the next BOT’s meeting. You spent way too much time thinking about a meaningless post.
Ever seen the movie A Man Called Otto?

of course you can.

and that's before any actual donor or advertiser NIL money is figured in.

You must have missed my second sentence in my second, much much less long paragraph when I said for it to say not to be a violation.

I'm on the cooler. Good luck to anyone who reads that none sense.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT