ADVERTISEMENT

Traditions

kraft cheese+macaroni

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2010
A lot of time is spent on this message board talking about creating new traditions and things to get fans excited or get them to stay at games, etc.

It’s games like Saturday, where things may happen organically end up becoming traditions, even if it only lasts for a few years. It could be a song that’s played. It could be a chant that the students start. Let’s hope it’s a great day and the only way that a tradition is born out of Saturdays with a victory.

A lot of time is spent on this message board talking about creating new traditions and things to get fans excited or get them to stay at games, etc.

It’s games like Saturday, where things may happen organically end up becoming traditions, even if it only lasts for a few years. It could be a song that’s played. It could be a chant that the students start. Let’s hope it’s a great day and the only way that a tradition is born out of Saturdays with a victory.
And let's hope that tradition is not an entire section of men and boys taking off their shirts and twirling them over their heads.

• Haha
Reactions: midwolfe
Some traditions do just come about organically but there are some things that you have to help along. My one daughter went to Iowa State and they do a few things during the games. One is the Cyclone Warning and siren but the two that stand out are playing Sweet Caroline and then when they play Juicy Wiggle. The thing about the songs is they play them at the same time each game. They do the same at their basketball games with the same two songs.

What I notice at the IU game is the music they play jumps around so there is no consistency when we go through the game. Pick a song that you want to be your transfer song from the 3rd to 4th quarter and over time the crowd will join in because they know its coming and can anticipate it.

I think IU does a good job with the Marching 100 at the start of the game and the new entrance by the team to Thunderstruck but after that everything just seems to occur haphazardly. I do like the honoring of the hero of the game they do and I also appreciate when you see players on the other team also clapping for our veterans. We do have some traditions that happen, they just aren't some of what we see in other stadiums.

Some traditions do just come about organically but there are some things that you have to help along. My one daughter went to Iowa State and they do a few things during the games. One is the Cyclone Warning and siren but the two that stand out are playing Sweet Caroline and then when they play Juicy Wiggle. The thing about the songs is they play them at the same time each game. They do the same at their basketball games with the same two songs.

What I notice at the IU game is the music they play jumps around so there is no consistency when we go through the game. Pick a song that you want to be your transfer song from the 3rd to 4th quarter and over time the crowd will join in because they know its coming and can anticipate it.

I think IU does a good job with the Marching 100 at the start of the game and the new entrance by the team to Thunderstruck but after that everything just seems to occur haphazardly. I do like the honoring of the hero of the game they do and I also appreciate when you see players on the other team also clapping for our veterans. We do have some traditions that happen, they just aren't some of what we see in other stadiums.
I agree the most likely time to start a tradition is the end of the third quarter. I would like for them to play the clip of Cig when he was introduced at the basketball game stating “Purdue sucks… and so does Ohio State and Michigan!”
I disagree with Frik, I think it’s hilarious when they take their shirts off and swing them around. I think the whole east side should do it no matter the weather!

Reactions: red hornet

I’m not sure how frequently you’re able to attend games, but the author department did do some things routinely at the end of the third quarter for several years. The fact that our team wasn’t doing great, although that wasn’t always necessarily the case, and the fact that our fans kind of suck, those Things didn’t take hold. The William Tell overture. Playing jack and Diane. We will see what happens tomorrow.

Reactions: red hornet
I agree the most likely time to start a tradition is the end of the third quarter. I would like for them to play the clip of Cig when he was introduced at the basketball game stating “Purdue sucks… and so does Ohio State and Michigan!”
I disagree with Frik, I think it’s hilarious when they take their shirts off and swing them around. I think the whole east side should do it no matter the weather!
End of third quarter...

Turn all the lights off in the stadium (day games this loses a lot of the effect)...

Play the bells from beginning of Undertaker intro song, or Hells Bells...that vibe...

Have that lead in to some sort of pump up song that the students and crowd can easily sing along to...

Time it so it ends right around when the team would be heading back on to the field...

Cignetti doesn't seem to be one that would like something like that? But can you imagine how jacked you'd be as a student, in a completely packed Memorial Stadium, when the lights kick off and those Bells start tolling...and then the anticipation of a singing a cool song with your buds...

End of third quarter...

Turn all the lights off in the stadium (day games this loses a lot of the effect)...

Play the bells from beginning of Undertaker intro song, or Hells Bells...that vibe...

Have that lead in to some sort of pump up song that the students and crowd can easily sing along to...

Time it so it ends right around when the team would be heading back on to the field...

Cignetti doesn't seem to be one that would like something like that? But can you imagine how jacked you'd be as a student, in a completely packed Memorial Stadium, when the lights kick off and those Bells start tolling...and then the anticipation of a singing a cool song with your buds...
Unfortunately, despite us upgrading to LED lights a couple of years ago, it appears we didn’t invest in the kind allow us to manipulate the lights like you see it so many other stadiums these days. Surely we would’ve seen it in action before now if we had.

End of third quarter...

We've already been doing 3rd quarter music...this year it's a combo of don't stop believin' and welcome to the Jungle.

This is a tough one to solve. Students drive the energy, so almost need focus group sessions to see what will get them the most excited. The players will probably like what the students like, which is good.

Whatever they play can be creative and not just one song: perhaps a mash-up of songs, also potentially remixed with high energy beats to guarantee energy even if the crowd is flat. This approach would also make whatever they come up with unique to IU.

It's an art and not easy -- good luck to the gameday ops people.

I’m adamant about getting something special going into 4th quarter. I’m jealous every time I see Jump. Maybe a contest for students to pick

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT