ADVERTISEMENT

Tour of IU’s Football Facilities

Thumbs-Up-Gif.gif

But … how many just “IMPROVEMENT” projects has PSU had in the last 10 years that are more than $86,000,000? I think they are in the start of a $700,000,000 (!) renovation right now. (Yo! Scott Dolson! Give that Pat Kraft dude a call and get a loan!)

And if ours is this nice at $86,000,000, what the heck do these other guys spend their money on? Water slides? Private interstate ramps to parking?

Thumbs-Up-Gif.gif

But … how many just “IMPROVEMENT” projects has PSU had in the last 10 years that are more than $86,000,000? I think they are in the start of a $700,000,000 (!) renovation right now. (Yo! Scott Dolson! Give that Pat Kraft dude a call and get a loan!)

And if ours is this nice at $86,000,000, what the heck do these other guys spend their money on? Water slides? Private interstate ramps to parking?
Andt that place needs it!

Reactions: vesuvius13
Thumbs-Up-Gif.gif

Strippers

For the most part, I see the same rooms as I toured just four years ago. Biggest exception is the weight room. Since they are splitting it with the Olympic sports will that make it smaller for the football specific side ? And what was that comment a player made to the host about the barber shop?

A lot of apples to oranges numbers here. PSU is basically rebuilding all of Beaver Stadium, which of course will cost a lot. The $86M quoted for IU is probably the North and South Endzone projects that contain a lot more than just the football facilities (offices, meeting rooms, academics, suites, seats, etc.). Regardless, the promotion from this video is nice.

For the most part, I see the same rooms as I toured just four years ago. Biggest exception is the weight room. Since they are splitting it with the Olympic sports will that make it smaller for the football specific side ? And what was that comment a player made to the host about the barber shop?
The massive looking weight room has been split in half, not massive looking anymore

Just need to get the east side suites back on the schedule.
IIRC from a recent interview, it sounds like Scott is looking for a Simon-Skjodt type gift to jump start the next addition to Memorial Stadium.

I’d guess it must be tough to balance donations for a stadium addition vs NIL. If someone wanted to make large donation, it seems IU may prefer it to be multi-year NIL support. Better ROI to have a good team and sell out the current stadium. Suites appear to cost a lot to build vs annual revenue generated — though it would be cool to have them, don’t get me wrong. I don’t know how IU looks at it, it’s just an interesting dynamic.

Last edited:
IIRC from a recent interview, it sounds like Scott is looking for a Simon-Skjodt type gift to jump start the next addition to Memorial Stadium.

I’d guess it must be tough to balance donations for a stadium addition vs NIL. If someone wanted to make large donation, it seems IU may prefer it be multi-year NIL support. Better ROI to have a good team and sell out the current stadium. Suites appear to cost a lot to build vs annual revenue generated — though it would be cool to have them, don’t get me wrong. I don’t know how IU looks at it, it’s just an interesting dynamic.
It certainly has gotten squirrely fast. Unfortunate they didn’t get that project going pre Covid. Initial phase was basically spoken for. Starting from scratch now.

So this article about a new weight room facility was nothing more than splitting the current one in half???
Yes but wall hasn't been built yet

Reactions: vesuvius13
Thumbs-Up-Gif.gif

Penn State needed the extra $$ for playground equipment, kiddie showers, finger painting supplies, tricycles etc

Yes the kettle corn concession was a top notch idea. If for no more reason than the aroma is enjoyed by more #'s than those who actually purchase. Also you certainly become a lover of kettle corn as a kid. Every little bit helps to put folks in the stands, now and in the future.

I know it is being renovated but my freshman grandson took the tour with me and at the time he called a friend who is also a football player and he told him the weight room was 30 times better than theirs at Terre Haute North. I will be interested to see how it changes. I do remember reading that some recruits were used to seeing football only weight rooms and that was a negative for some. I think our move though is in response to that.

IU is investing a lot into FB as we know, I doubt they’re going to screw up something like the weight room as they go through the process of making part of it FB only. Plus Cig and staff wouldn’t let that happen either.

I sure hope they aren't splitting the room. It would have been better to build a weight room elsewhere for the non-football teams. Addon to cook hall or something
That's exactly what they're doing because football recruits are spoiled and pampered and we have to bow to the trends. These are things that I know:
  • the football team got first priority on scheduling with the weight room
  • during times of the year when players went to the weight room on their own time, a lot of them liked sharing it with volleyball, soccer and field hockey (and more) female athletes. Guess why.
Maybe one good thing about paying players $20M is that the facilities arms race will slow down and this absurd crap will end. That weight room was absolutely large enough to be used by all programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT