ADVERTISEMENT

Took a trip to the NW board

zeke4ahs

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2003
It’s kind of fun to see what other teams are saying about us. Lots and lots of comments and compliments about our offense, in particular and also to our fans. Several of them think Ohio State is the only team who will beat us. Such a different feeling to be reading all the positives and they are t talking about Buckeyes or MIchigan. . .

It’s kind of fun to see what other teams are saying about us. Lots and lots of comments and compliments about our offense, in particular and also to our fans. Several of them think Ohio State is the only team who will beat us. Such a different feeling to be reading all the positives and they are t talking about Buckeyes or MIchigan. . .
There's kind of a surreal aspect to all of this. We've gone from worst to ?????

In other contexts that might be considered slumming, or trolling.
Beat’s “How the hell did we lose to that trash” … disparagements.
I was surprised how well NW played Saturday, considering the FG+Safety effort off Puget Sound.

There's kind of a surreal aspect to all of this. We've gone from worst to ?????
Yeah, I’m trying to think of anything like this in my entire sports life, both football and basketball, professional and college and baseball and high school! So easy to remember all the times we were expected to be good and were not. But it’s so fun to have had absolutely zero expectations and be doing this. Looking forward to the Nebraska game. It’s going to be huge and Bloomington should be on fire. Hope the weather cooperates. One rain game was enough.

Yeah, I’m trying to think of anything like this in my entire sports life, both football and basketball, professional and college and baseball and high school! So easy to remember all the times we were expected to be good and were not. But it’s so fun to have had absolutely zero expectations and be doing this. Looking forward to the Nebraska game. It’s going to be huge and Bloomington should be on fire. Hope the weather cooperates. One rain game was enough.
This is beginning to remind me of the ‘67 season. Every week we kept thinking it was bound to end there but they just kept winning. Of course the games were a lot closer that year, so there is that difference.

This is beginning to remind me of the ‘67 season. Every week we kept thinking it was bound to end there but they just kept winning. Of course the games were a lot closer that year, so there is that difference.
'67 was before my fandom but '88 was close with 8 wins and a tie. They had three L including a one pt loss at ILL and a bad loss at home to Sparty IIRC. '87 was as good incl the win in the rain to Mich and a sobbing whining Bo

I suspect we will with people turned away. Neb will bring by far the most visiting fans this season 4-5K I would guess.
A lot of tickets sold yesterday. Eyeballing it there are maybe 2.5K seats left with two weeks to go, so it will sell out a several days before the game.

My guess is Nebraska is closer to 20% of the crowd, but I don't know. They're fans are very good as we know.

A lot of tickets sold yesterday. Eyeballing it there are maybe 2.5K seats left with two weeks to go, so it will sell out a several days before the game.

My guess is Nebraska is closer to 20% of the crowd, but I don't know. They're fans are very good as we know.
The good thing is they'll wear red too... so it'll look like they're all IU fans. Good day to take some marketing photos, assuming the weather cooperates.

Man, I wish I could be there...

20%? Seems high, especially since they already played nearby (@Purdue). I'd be shocked if they have anywhere close to that many.

20%? Seems high, especially since they already played nearby (@Purdue). I'd be shocked if they have anywhere close to that many.
I'm sure there's plenty of Nebraska fan demand to fill 11-12K worth of seats. Hoping there aren't enough IU fans looking to make a buck for them to get that many though.

Regardless...whatever the percentage is, I hope they're quiet for most of the game.

Reactions: vesuvius13
We are a 100% a legit team that has a legitimate chance to get to 10 wins. The rest of the games save Purdue could go either way. I had us for 7 maybe 8 wins depending upon how MSU and Nebraska evolved. Nebraska is a damn good team with a GREAT defense that is tricky to play --mostly because of their 3-3-5 look and how difficult it is to pick up and read players--it just isn't a defense people see frequently.

We need to stay healthy--Walker's injury opened the floodgates on defense because Walker is used all over the field and can and does cover WR decently enough in zone defenses. Not sure Jones does...Kamara, Carr and Fisher are playing a ton of snaps--Kamara played all but 1 play two games in a row. Wayyy too many. We do get some rotation at DT, so that is helpful, and in a perfect world Burris could slide out to an end to spell Kamara (Burris played end in Texas A & M's 3-4 defense).

Regards, we have a great coach and staff, a strength coach who is in tune and on the cutting edge of training and recovery, a bunch of dudes on the roster (both new and who stayed from one staff to the next), who have absolutely bought in.

We are a 100% a legit team that has a legitimate chance to get to 10 wins. The rest of the games save Purdue could go either way. I had us for 7 maybe 8 wins depending upon how MSU and Nebraska evolved. Nebraska is a damn good team with a GREAT defense that is tricky to play --mostly because of their 3-3-5 look and how difficult it is to pick up and read players--it just isn't a defense people see frequently.

We need to stay healthy--Walker's injury opened the floodgates on defense because Walker is used all over the field and can and does cover WR decently enough in zone defenses. Not sure Jones does...Kamara, Carr and Fisher are playing a ton of snaps--Kamara played all but 1 play two games in a row. Wayyy too many. We do get some rotation at DT, so that is helpful, and in a perfect world Burris could slide out to an end to spell Kamara (Burris played end in Texas A & M's 3-4 defense).

Regards, we have a great coach and staff, a strength coach who is in tune and on the cutting edge of training and recovery, a bunch of dudes on the roster (both new and who stayed from one staff to the next), who have absolutely bought in.
IU is a very good football team as we will find out how good in the next few weeks. That isn't just opinion but based on metrics that show IU is in the top 3 of teams.

Is there an update on Walker? Great week to have a bye.

I hope, even if we lose a game or two, heck even 3, that we don't lose too much of the energy that's building.

Nebraska, Washington, Michigan, and Purdue...what a fun slate of remaining home games!! And the game at OSU, assuming we don't completely fall apart, should be heavily anticipated too.

Only game that is mildly "less interesting" is at MSU.

In short...it should be an incredible few months for IU football.

I hope, even if we lose a game or two, heck even 3, that we don't lose too much of the energy that's building.

Nebraska, Washington, Michigan, and Purdue...what a fun slate of remaining home games!! And the game at OSU, assuming we don't completely fall apart, should be heavily anticipated too.

If you sleep on MSU they'll get you. Aiden Chiles is not only a walking turnover, but also a developing and high-potential QB to make plays out of nothing. By the time we go up there, he will have close to a full season under his belt and they will certainly have the POTENTIAL to be dangerous.

That's a rivalry game for a traveling trophy. No way that game is less interesting to Coach Cig and the players (or to me). They stole one from us in Bloomington last year too. Time to take the Brass Spittoon back home to Bloomington. Might be the only away game I attend this season since they suck and tickets should be cheap. NU tix were pricey last weekend.

If you sleep on MSU they'll get you. Aiden Chiles is not only a walking turnover, but also a developing and high-potential QB to make plays out of nothing. By the time we go up there, he will have close to a full season under his belt and they will certainly have the POTENTIAL to be dangerous.
Obviously...but compared to the home games, and OSU... it is "less interesting"...

IU is a very good football team as we will find out how good in the next few weeks. That isn't just opinion but based on metrics that show IU is in the top 3 of teams.
A buddy of mine is former high school in Indiana and coached at several colleges. He watched the UCLA game and was texting me about our players and his exact comment was "the JMU guys are better than than the UCLA guys and Rourke has to be a top 10 QB"

That's a rivalry game for a traveling trophy. No way that game is less interesting to Coach Cig and the players (or to me). They stole one from us in Bloomington last year too. Time to take the Brass Spittoon back home to Bloomington. Might be the only away game I attend this season since they suck and tickets should be cheap. NU tix were pricey last weekend.
Oh I doubt Cig looks at any of this the way most fans do. He's probably focused on the first set of drills they're doing today at practice, and how he can make sure the team perfects them.

And all the games are interesting...but compared to the home games, and at OSU, its obviously not quite as interesting. That particular trophy, at this point, seems a little "forced". I've been an avid IU football fan for 35+ years, and I've never thought of MSU as any sort of rival.

But its a winnable road B10 game, so when it rolls around, it'll be a huge game, no doubt. No matter what we do until then.

I just took a trip into Nebraska fantasy land reading all of the Nebraska forums. They think we are not very good and they think they are great. Reading all of it really makes me hope we just light them up!
They’ve pretty much operated this way, their fanbase, since joining the conference. Thought they would dominate right out of the gate.

I just took a trip into Nebraska fantasy land reading all of the Nebraska forums. They think we are not very good and they think they are great. Reading all of it really makes me hope we just light them up!
We are "Indiana"...its fair for them to be confident, in my opinion. Just like its fair for me to be confident we'll beat a 5-1 or 6-1 Nebraska team, because they've largely been awful the last few years...and I really haven't watched them play at all this year, so I have no clue how good they actually are.

But Rhule is a legit coach. Raiola was obviously very highly ranked coming out of HS. And it sounds like they have a legit defense. Strength on strength, should be a fun game.

After a tough adversary maxed LOS performers will get rest during the bye as #2 can get time to heal if it is in the cards. Haines gets lots of NW film study with his charges. Cignetti gets a 2 full weeks coaching coaches. Very good scenario.

We are "Indiana"...its fair for them to be confident, in my opinion. Just like its fair for me to be confident we'll beat a 5-1 or 6-1 Nebraska team, because they've largely been awful the last few years...and I really haven't watched them play at all this year, so I have no clue how good they actually are.

But Rhule is a legit coach. Raiola was obviously very highly ranked coming out of HS. And it sounds like they have a legit defense. Strength on strength, should be a fun game.
Confidence is one thing. But to sit there and say we arent good is another. I would be ok with them saying Nebraska's Best beats IU's best. Some are saying we are not a good team and it will be a blow out. They forget we have been to two bowls since they last time they went bowling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT