ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen jr is gritty but SLOW!

It was so obvious...he could not close on a guy he had right in front of him...what is Allen thinking here?

Reactions: IUgradman
Against IA got burned in end zone for TD pass. One on one with McSorley a joke.

Nepotism needs to know where he can or can’t play. NOT in red zone!

He would not receive a minute of playing time for any other Big Ten 10. Hard to believe that he is the best we got.

Reactions: IUgradman
We had like 3 LB go down to injury so they have to play someone
Hasn't he been starting like the entire year. That other true freshman who came in #37 looked really good though. Appeared to be playing way above Allen's level.

This kid will be a difference maker, leader and starting linebacker next 3 years. He will get faster. I watched him on sidelines after Mcsorley got him and he was upset. Discouraged and embarrassed. Seems like a kid that cares a whole lot. But this is a guy I want to cheer for, regardless if he is son of head coach. I'd want him on my side down the road. Go Hoosiers.

Needs to play defensive end, not linebacker.

I agree Allen Jr has great attitude you’d want from a player but also have thought “wouldn’t he be better at DE? Just don’t think he has the wheels for top D1 LB. But may have enough speed and grit to contribute as a DE.

Love Tom Allen Sr. But he may need to re-evaluate this one or be open to playing more athletic players as they get recruited.

Reactions: 76-1
Allen Jr shouldnt be in the game on passing downs. I would play a big safety instead, somebody who can close on the ball...

I hate to say that I have to agree with this. I commented about how slow he was after the FIU game. He cannot play in space so I like the idea of moving him to DE. He will never be fast enough to play LB. I cannot believe they have McFadden playing behind him. That kid on the other hand will be a very good LB.

Reactions: kmathum
I hate to say that I have to agree with this. I commented about how slow he was after the FIU game. He cannot play in space so I like the idea of moving him to DE. He will never be fast enough to play LB. I cannot believe they have McFadden playing behind him. That kid on the other hand will be a very good LB.
I think it's necessity and not nepotism. Moving him to DE might very well be a good idea (if his frame can handle more weight) but we knew coming into this year LB was a problem area. The staff was clear about that. You have to have 4 or 5 guys who can effectively play. Roof is not available right now and Jones and Willis are not Scales and Covington. They can't play every snap. Allen is a smart kid who can make defensive calls and recognize offense. That's valuable and unfortunately, he's as good as we have right now (Wilson's fault, not Allen's).

The staff has been high on McFadden since he got here and he's going to be good. But it takes some time to learn that position. They were hoping to redshirt him, but even early in the season TA said he thought he might have to play.

TA Jr. is slow for a B1G linebacker, no question. But McSorley has made lots of guys look silly in that position over his career. I've seen some of the best defensive players in the NBA look like Frankenstein trying to keep Allen Iverson in front of them in one-on-one situations. I saw Moore and Knox make some 4 and 5-star guys from OSU look pretty stupid last night.

Again, like Allen’s grit. He’s about 240 now. I think college DE’s can play at 250-260. I think he’d be great in that rotation more so than LB.

I suppose some say he “knows schemes better than McFadden?” But my view is McFadden is a better player and fast enough to play ahead of Allen. For now, if he’s staying at LB, then how about not in red zone or obvious third and long situations?

Again, like Allen’s grit. He’s about 240 now. I think college DE’s can play at 250-260. I think he’d be great in that rotation more so than LB.

I suppose some say he “knows schemes better than McFadden?” But my view is McFadden is a better player and fast enough to play ahead of Allen. For now, if he’s staying at LB, then how about not in red zone or obvious third and long situations?
Allen is not playing in front of McFadden. He's playing alongside him for the most part. McFadden is playing in Roof's spot. Those two linebacker positions are different positions. It would be similar to having the husky play Allen's spot or having a safety play corner. Different roles, different techniques, different reads, different responsibilities. Tall order for a true freshman to learn the other LB position in the middle of the season.

I feel pretty confident that if we had someone better at Allen's spot, he would be playing. Nepotism tends to be much less common after you get beyond the junior high level. When you are getting paid or fired base on success, and you have to answer to other players who know who the best players are, family loyalty moves into second place. Not saying it can't or doesn't happen, but TA strikes me as the kind of guy who is honest with himself about his son's limitations. And the kid strikes me as someone who doesn't expect to be given something he doesn't deserve.

Reactions: 76-1 and Sassy61
If explosive lateral quickness could be taught IU's problems would have solved decades ago.

Last edited:
I’ll give TA benefit of the doubt that he’ll be fair and not practice nepotism. My initial post may have insinuated that. I hope the idea of trying him at DE comes to fruition. I feel like future LB’s may have more speed needed for B10 defenses.

I’ll give TA benefit of the doubt that he’ll be fair and not practice nepotism. My initial post may have insinuated that. I hope the idea of trying him at DE comes to fruition. I feel like future LB’s may have more speed needed for B10 defenses.
I agree. I'm sure Coach Allen is acutely aware of our need for speed at that position. The last couple of years we got to see the importance of athletic linebackers who can make plays against the run and cover as well. Scales, Covington, and (damn my old brain, the guy who left early two years ago), make it pretty obvious that we have a drop off in physical talent in that position this year. McFadden looks like the real deal going forward. Roof can hold his own too but we need 4 or 5 of those kind of guys.

Reactions: 82hoosier
I think it's necessity and not nepotism. Moving him to DE might very well be a good idea (if his frame can handle more weight) but we knew coming into this year LB was a problem area. The staff was clear about that. You have to have 4 or 5 guys who can effectively play. Roof is not available right now and Jones and Willis are not Scales and Covington. They can't play every snap. Allen is a smart kid who can make defensive calls and recognize offense. That's valuable and unfortunately, he's as good as we have right now (Wilson's fault, not Allen's).

The staff has been high on McFadden since he got here and he's going to be good. But it takes some time to learn that position. They were hoping to redshirt him, but even early in the season TA said he thought he might have to play.

TA Jr. is slow for a B1G linebacker, no question. But McSorley has made lots of guys look silly in that position over his career. I've seen some of the best defensive players in the NBA look like Frankenstein trying to keep Allen Iverson in front of them in one-on-one situations. I saw Moore and Knox make some 4 and 5-star guys from OSU look pretty stupid last night.
Well Roof did play yesterday. Allen has gotten posterized several times, usually in pass coverage, but also on a few runs. I realize we are thin there, just don’t think he will be effective if he stays at LB.

Allen is not playing in front of McFadden. He's playing alongside him for the most part. McFadden is playing in Roof's spot. Those two linebacker positions are different positions. It would be similar to having the husky play Allen's spot or having a safety play corner. Different roles, different techniques, different reads, different responsibilities. Tall order for a true freshman to learn the other LB position in the middle of the season.

I feel pretty confident that if we had someone better at Allen's spot, he would be playing. Nepotism tends to be much less common after you get beyond the junior high level. When you are getting paid or fired base on success, and you have to answer to other players who know who the best players are, family loyalty moves into second place. Not saying it can't or doesn't happen, but TA strikes me as the kind of guy who is honest with himself about his son's limitations. And the kid strikes me as someone who doesn't expect to be given something he doesn't deserve.
Not saying it is nepotism, but perhaps the LB coach wants to be on the right side of his boss?

Well Roof did play yesterday. Allen has gotten posterized several times, usually in pass coverage, but also on a few runs. I realize we are thin there, just don’t think he will be effective if he stays at LB.
My mistake. I did not recall seeing Roof on the field yesterday.

As an aside, LB Cam Williams from Andrean was at the game Saturday. Not sure if was an official visit or not. Hoping to hear some news on him positive toward IU soon.

Reactions: 76-1
Roof and McFadden should be our starting linebackers if both are healthy. They both make plays. Both should also be on kickoff coverage along with Crawford.

Not saying it is nepotism, but perhaps the LB coach wants to be on the right side of his boss?

Have considered that too. Allen was gored by his father now he hired his son. Think BOTH hired on merit, but LB coach may not love telling his boss if/when the son can’t play bc he’s too slow. Which coach TA does not like hearing I’m sure.

I have always believed he destined to put his hand on the ground. However the mike linebacker is the quarterback of the defense and it may be that depth and maybe knowledge of the calls might be the reason he is playing now. Just a guess.

Roof and McFadden should be our starting linebackers if both are healthy. They both make plays. Both should also be on kickoff coverage along with Crawford.
The bet was made to put freshman in on kicking teams to get their four games in. This would allow the four down players a chance to catch their breath. Remember when Jackie Sherrill made the entire kickoff team at Texas A&M walk-ons? It was a great success until it wasn't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT