ADVERTISEMENT

TJD Shots %

NOMORENIT

Freshman
Jan 29, 2020
TJD is by far the best player on this team. That said, does anyone agree that he misses alot of shots 5ft and in (layups and dunks aside)? Let's just say his touch inside the paint needs to improve?

TJD is by far the best player on this team. That said, does anyone agree that he misses alot of shots 5ft and in (layups and dunks aside)? Let's just say his touch inside the paint needs to improve?

I do agree. About a quarter of what he throws towards the general direction of the basket has no hope of going in.

He has all the athleticism to be incredibly successful but needs to not only develop a game 15-20 feet from the basket, but improve both on passing and shot selection. I think he tries to force things when he feels he is not involved enough in the offense.

Reactions: 76-1 and Brockway
That he is our best player is the problem, he is at best Jeff Newton lite

He's going to be very interesting on the decision to go pro and once he does how he fares.... He's not big enough IMO to score where he does now in the NBA, and I don't see the outside shot guys who are 6'8"/6'9" are expected to make in the league. I'm not sure he will get "sure fire 1st round pick" feedback after this season? Which could be good news for IU.

EDIT: reminds me a bit of where Swanigan was.....probably nothing left to prove to the NBA at the college level, but still looking like a tough fit at the NBA level.

He's going to be very interesting on the decision to go pro and once he does how he fares.... He's not big enough IMO to score where he does now in the NBA, and I don't see the outside shot guys who are 6'8"/6'9" are expected to make in the league. I'm not sure he will get "sure fire 1st round pick" feedback after this season? Which could be good news for IU.

EDIT: reminds me a bit of where Swanigan was.....probably nothing left to prove to the NBA at the college level, but still looking like a tough fit at the NBA level.
Let's just hope that if he does leave for the pros, he doesn't smoke weed and get the case of munchies Caleb did. 😉

Off topic, but the announcers’ talk of Luke Garza last game I found interesting. Do you all agree he has no chance in the NBA? It amazes me how someone can dominate at this level and be an after thought in the pros.

The IU connection is I think Logan duncomb can be our Garza. I think he will be a solid four year contributor and all big ten when it’s all said and done, but not an early departure to the pros. We need some consistency like that (I think Galloway, and to a lesser extent leal, will be similar).

That he is our best player is the problem, he is at best Jeff Newton lite
Hey.. I watched every bit of the Jeff Newton era and no disrespect to him but are you comparing Jeff Newton to TJD? A better comparison would be like Jarad Jefferies or Alan Henderson. Not Jeff Newton..

Reactions: BaxterIU
If he is such a bad shooter, why is he 5th in FG% in the best/deepest conference in America. He has very little help down low going against double teams all the time. He is only in his second year.

Hey.. I watched every bit of the Jeff Newton era and no disrespect to him but are you comparing Jeff Newton to TJD? A better comparison would be like Jarad Jefferies or Alan Henderson. Not Jeff Newton..
Obviously those guys had so much more talent and scoring surrounding them. So hard to compare as TJD has to carry so much of the load. One reason we can’t close games is that we don’t have a ball handler that can “score at will” in crunch time. How many great teams win at the end of games with their primary post player taking the final shot? Almost never. I disagree with almost all the criticism on these boards about TJD. His jumper is pitiful and his pro prospects not great but I think he is giving it almost everything has. Even the criticism of his jogging back on defense occasionally needs to be placed in perspective. He plays an incredible number of minutes for his position. I don’t care how conditioned one is, fatigue eventually wins

I do agree. About a quarter of what he throws towards the general direction of the basket has no hope of going in.

He has all the athleticism to be incredibly successful but needs to not only develop a game 15-20 feet from the basket, but improve both on passing and shot selection. I think he tries to force things when he feels he is not involved enough in the offense.
I think this is the reason he will not go to the NBA. He may leave IU (especially if the culture is not enjoyable) and go to Europe or the development league.

I think that is harsh. TJD is a very good player and is only a Sophomore. Newton was similar sized but averaged less than 10 points and 5 rebounds per game for his 4 year career.
It may be a tad harsh, but Newton played a complimentary tole to JJ on good teams. TJD is good, but should be that complimentary player

Reactions: SoccerSammy
It may be a tad harsh, but Newton played a complimentary tole to JJ on good teams. TJD is good, but should be that complimentary player
Exactly. It’s a shame if he leaves after
This year IU nation won’t look too fondly on his time here. Which isn’t really fair to the kid

I do agree that TJD certainly gets the benefit of being the go to guy. I still think he is a really good player and better than Newton at this stage if his career. TJD is still very young and can keep developing. If he stayed all 4 years he would have a chance at player of the year. Assuming he develops more to his game. I really think patients is one of his issues. If you watch Race in the post he just operates more deliberately and doesn’t force things. Once TDJ gets some of that his efficiency will go up. As will his assists out of the post.

If he is such a bad shooter, why is he 5th in FG% in the best/deepest conference in America. He has very little help down low going against double teams all the time. He is only in his second year.
He doesn't shoot from outside of 5'. He should be 1st in the conference in shooting %.

Reactions: Lambo134269
TJD hit's a couple more inside 5ft shot's a game and he averages 26pts a game and is probably a shoe in for National Player of the Year. I got no complaints (maybe his Ft's) with anything else. Love the kid already a great hoosier.

If he shoot 6 of 18 again he wont be in top ten in FG%. Maybe he should look for someone open if he's double or triple teamed?

At first I thought this was an OLD post complaining about how many contested shots Cody missed from within 5 feet of the basket. Of course, on the majority of those shots he was the victim of a HARD foul.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT