ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Simmons - Injury?

IUFANMI

Benchwarmer
Aug 20, 2006
I noticed that TJ Simmons did not play last night.

What gives? Is he injured?

I think he might just be the odd man out with the new 4-2-5 scheme.
Scott is spot on.....unfortunately three year starter TJ is the odd man out. Just not fast and quick enough in this new scheme. Clyde Newton is also another odd man out on this defense. With Newton's high school experience as also a stud running back he asked Wilson to be moved to offense. You will see Newton in the backfield in certain circumstances.

Simmons lacks the lateral speed for Allen's scheme. Next fall, Tom Jr. will be picking up the mantle.

I think you will see TJ in some games where we will need a little more beef to stop some running teams. I thought he might make a decent pass rusher and transition to DE.

Reactions: 10yrProject
I remember a comment of an announcer during the Pinstripe Bowl saying that the Hoosier linebackers were slow.

Scott is spot on.....unfortunately three year starter TJ is the odd man out. Just not fast and quick enough in this new scheme. Clyde Newton is also another odd man out on this defense. With Newton's high school experience as also a stud running back he asked Wilson to be moved to offense. You will see Newton in the backfield in certain circumstances.

I feel badly for TJ. He has been a key contributor for three seasons and to not play this first game has to hurt him. I hope that he earns more time on the field soon. Like you say, though, this defensive scheme requires speed and quick reactions, not great attributes of Simmons. Let's hope he keeps plugging away, contributing all that he can.

Reactions: muubell
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT