ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Our team is in new territory. We blew a bowl game - lost Ramsey, Cronk, Westbrook and Hale - then Covid - then got a PSU "ugly win" upset and now an only- slightly smoother win at Rutgers.
We clearly have not played "well" yet. (Remember when Penix hit 20 straight passes last year against MSU?)

Last year, we dominated Eastern Illinois, beat a bad UConn, beat a bad Rutgers badly, and beat a weakened, injured NW.
The rest were tough and close - or we got thumped.

Last year, we got 91 rushing yards against Penn State. This year - 41.
Last year we got 42 against Ohio State, 70 against Michigan State, 97 against Michigan and 76 against Tennessee.
Those were our losses.

Last year, we got 260 rushing against Rutgers. This year - 105.

We're living off our defense.
Indiana.
Playing defense.
Roll that over in your head a little.

The mental reactions of both teams to current circumstances will be huge.

The Michigan fanbase is now in turmoil - split between "fire him" and "he's our Michigan Man."
Don't know if the team is in turmoil.

If Michigan recovers and we get the big head, we get blown.
We get less than 100 rushing - we lose.
If Michigan starts to hate practice, and we come together even more, improve again, we win.
If both teams improve, IU keeps being "must see TV" - and big plays decide it.

Overall, however, I look at this as a year-long enhanced practice.
I try and keep our guys together - see how many guys will come back in 2021 and REALLY blow thelid off something.

We have 10 guys who - but for Covid - would complete their eligibility and COULD come back if they wanted. (Swann, Ball, Jerome Johnson, Nworah, Powell, Crider, Fryfogle, Layne, Whop, Ziemba).

Imagine if they all came back ....

Also, I hope all of college football does a re-set, and gets back to COLLEGE football.
I'm OK with a free transfer if your coach leaves before or after your first year.
After than - we gotta protect the programs - or Bama, Clemson and Ohio State will dominate forever.
No more 5th year transfers.
Injury can get you another year.
Then it's go pro - stay at your school for a Master's program - or go start your career.
Coaches need to know who they have back, have many spots they have.
Waiting until the NFL rejects somebody, then pulling an offer from a high school kid to get somebody back?
THAT is not what this should be about.

Beat Michigan.

I am happy like most IU fans with these two wins but agree we have not played a solid game yet. I am a big Coach Allen fan but after 4 years he still has not ended these dumb personal foul/un-sportsman like penalties that hurt us last year and are doing the same now. We are also 14th in the league in rushing and that is going to put too much pressure on Penix every game to have to carry more load than he should. Defense is the main reason for 2-0 right now and that hasn't happen since Coach Mallory. Perhaps Coach Sheridan has been limited because of the reduced spring practice and feels it is best to limit play calls. But I have not seen one play-action play in two games and only one run play to the outside. With our offensive line play so far, I would think we need to try something else with our run calls. We have shown how good we can be in these two games but I am a believer we will never reach the next notch up without a running game. Here is hoping for that Michigan win we have all been waiting on for so long.

One thing that has really stuck out to me with Penix is his ability to flick the ball, even when he's getting hit, and throwing strikes with heat. This kid is really special. I hope with Michigan they throw, throw, and throw some more and not spend the first series "feeling things out." It's getting pretty clear that ramming the ball between the tackles is not going to be the offense's strongest play. So stretch the D early and go to the run after they start playing back more.

Our team is in new territory. We blew a bowl game - lost Ramsey, Cronk, Westbrook and Hale - then Covid - then got a PSU "ugly win" upset and now an only- slightly smoother win at Rutgers.
We clearly have not played "well" yet. (Remember when Penix hit 20 straight passes last year against MSU?)

Last year, we dominated Eastern Illinois, beat a bad UConn, beat a bad Rutgers badly, and beat a weakened, injured NW.

Last year we got 42 against Ohio State, 70 against Michigan State, 97 against Michigan and 76 against Tennessee.
Those were our losses.

Indiana.
Playing defense.

The Michigan fanbase is now in turmoil - split between "fire him" and "he's our Michigan Man."

If Michigan starts to hate practice, and we come together even more, improve again, we win.

I try and keep our guys together - see how many guys will come back in 2021 and REALLY blow thelid off something.

We have 10 guys who - but for Covid - would complete their eligibility and COULD come back if they wanted. (Swann, Ball, Jerome Johnson, Nworah, Powell, Crider, Fryfogle, Layne, Whop, Ziemba).

Also, I hope all of college football does a re-set, and gets back to COLLEGE football.
I'm OK with a free transfer if your coach leaves before or after your first year.
After than - we gotta protect the programs - or Bama, Clemson and Ohio State will dominate forever.
Then it's go pro - stay at your school for a Master's program - or go start your career.
Waiting until the NFL rejects somebody, then pulling an offer from a high school kid to get somebody back?

Beat Michigan.

I feel you, especially the "Beat Michigan", part but I think the Transfer Portal is here to stay...

I am happy like most IU fans with these two wins but agree we have not played a solid game yet. I am a big Coach Allen fan but after 4 years he still has not ended these dumb personal foul/un-sportsman like penalties that hurt us last year and are doing the same now. We are also 14th in the league in rushing and that is going to put too much pressure on Penix every game to have to carry more load than he should. Defense is the main reason for 2-0 right now and that hasn't happen since Coach Mallory. Perhaps Coach Sheridan has been limited because of the reduced spring practice and feels it is best to limit play calls. But I have not seen one play-action play in two games and only one run play to the outside. With our offensive line play so far, I would think we need to try something else with our run calls. We have shown how good we can be in these two games but I am a believer we will never reach the next notch up without a running game. Here is hoping for that Michigan win we have all been waiting on for so long.
Coaches really only have control over personal fouls that are based on behavior. Getting called on personal fouls for playing hard and trying to knock the ball out of the QB hands, etc isn't bad.

Coaches really only have control over personal fouls that are based on behavior. Getting called on personal fouls for playing hard and trying to knock the ball out of the QB hands, etc isn't bad.

I agree with this.......I'm not seeing late hits out of bounds or on top of the pile. Both the late hits this past week, as unfortunate as they were, were guys getting after it.

We are #13 in the country. We have a legitimate chance to blow the lid off something this year. We already got the win against a team ranked in the Top 10. Now we need one against a team we haven't beaten in 33 years. If we beat Michigan, we probably move into the Top 10 and become part of the New Year's Six conversation.

I know it's dangerous considering how injury prone Penix is, but the offense is at it's best when he uses his legs. It would open things up for Scott and the running game. But I'm guessing the coaching staff is trying to protect the kid as much as possible by keeping him in the pocket.

There have been lots of teams win with great defense and a basic offense that doesn't turn the ball over. Certainly not as much fun but again we are ranked #13 and undefeated. Michigan is very beatable. Looked awful against MSU. Our defense should have a field day with their offense. We are on the right course. Just need to continue to protect the ball, protect Penix, and then eliminate stupid penalties and this will be our best year ever.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Our home field advantage will be diluted. Not to the extent of a neutral site, but not a “true” home game.
UMich is still a storied program. I think we can win, but we cannot afford mistakes. Turnovers, personal foul penalties (taunting, excessive celebration, etc), and somehow we need to run the ball.

I know it's dangerous considering how injury prone Penix is, but the offense is at it's best when he uses his legs. It would open things up for Scott and the running game. But I'm guessing the coaching staff is trying to protect the kid as much as possible by keeping him in the pocket.

There have been lots of teams win with great defense and a basic offense that doesn't turn the ball over. Certainly not as much fun but again we are ranked #13 and undefeated. Michigan is very beatable. Looked awful against MSU. Our defense should have a field day with their offense. We are on the right course. Just need to continue to protect the ball, protect Penix, and then eliminate stupid penalties and this will be our best year ever.

Don Brown is known for his press coverage......no zone......we'll have to call some QB draws. We can't play it safe when we have a chance to beat Michigan.......

Coaches really only have control over personal fouls that are based on behavior. Getting called on personal fouls for playing hard and trying to knock the ball out of the QB hands, etc isn't bad.One of the ongoing problems we have had on offense is that we hare never developed a good Draw play/Screen Pass Combination. This goes back at least 35 years regardless of Coaching Staff. The Coaching Staff thinks that Draw Play is something they do on a Blackboard with a piece of Chalk, and Screen Pass is something you use to gain admittance to a Movie Theater. I cringe anytime I sense one of those plays coming. The spacing and timing are never good, and the OLine releases too soon thereby tipping off the Defense. If we could produce something on those types of Plays , it would help.

As far as getting a message to the Undisciplined Players committing stupid Personal Fouls, now that you have depth on defense, some Bench Seat Time should send the Message effectively.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13

Those were our losses.

Indiana.
Playing defense.

Beat Michigan.
I think the graduate transfer rule is here to stay. I don't know whether I like it or not, but it's helping us this year.

I don't like losing Ramsey, but there's no doubt who our QB1 is.

I've seen some play-action from us and it's worked. I agree, though, we need some more deception to keep the opponent's pass rush down.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Defense wins championships.

After decades of “wish we had a defense,” we finally got one and so I guess the only thing left is to wring our hands over the offense.

Our home field advantage will be diluted. Not to the extent of a neutral site, but not a “true” home game.
UMich is still a storied program. I think we can win, but we cannot afford mistakes. Turnovers, personal foul penalties (taunting, excessive celebration, etc), and somehow we need to run the ball.
I am not sure I have ever seen a homefield advantage for IU in football.

Reactions: vesuvius13
One of the ongoing problems we have had on offense is that we hare never developed a good Draw play/Screen Pass Combination. This goes back at least 35 years regardless of Coaching Staff. The Coaching Staff thinks that Draw Play is something they do on a Blackboard with a piece of Chalk, and Screen Pass is something you use to gain admittance to a Movie Theater. I cringe anytime I sense one of those plays coming. The spacing and timing are never good, and the OLine releases too soon thereby tipping off the Defense. If we could produce something on those types of Plays , it would help.

As far as getting a message to the Undisciplined Players committing stupid Personal Fouls, now that you have depth on defense, some Bench Seat Time should send the Message effectively.
We have been a huge screen team since Wilson ere. We have thrown the bubble with huge success with Wilson, Deboard and Deboer. I have not seen it with Sheridan but I do believe we need to use it more this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT