ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Sampson James?

Why the Hell not? Good team to do it against. Giving up 4.9 per rush attempt on the year. If Scott is really out, he'll be fired up, I would think.

Whoever totes the rock, they better hold on to it. I think Wisconsin had 3 fumbles on drives and that is what kept the game closer than it should have been into the 4th quarter.

And so does Scott. What do you do next year if you think they are both capable of doing this? If you think they are both capable of this and you think you have an Offensive Line that can control the line of scrimmage, do you run a lot of two back Offense to get these guys 15-20 carries per game? Jettison the 4 and 5 Receiver Formations that move the Ball from side to side and run 2 back Power Football? I don't have an answer to this, but the Coaching Staff needs to choose the method that gives us the opportunity to win the greatest number of games throughout the Year.
Yeah that is the problem you in essence have three guys that are similar in that they wear down teams. I would love to bring in a guy that can take it the distance to bring in occasionally.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Yeah that is the problem you in essence have three guys that are similar in that they wear down teams. I would love to bring in a guy that can take it the distance to bring in occasionally.

This Saturday we need whoever can run best on that mud/sand slurry they call a football field while hanging onto the football out there...

Bob Sanders would have more targeting calls in today’s game than the Buckeye’s quarterback has leaves on his helmet.
I looked at Purdue's recruiting class for last year and found approx. 40% of them received almost no other offers for Power 5 schools other than Purdue mostly MAC schools etc. Not saying they won't improve but I found this odd. Do you notice that?

Last edited:
I thought Sampson James had more spring innhis step and was quicker to the hole than our current RB1.... he may not be patient yet but I think the hips are better also. Touches will fix the vision I believe

I thought Sampson James had more spring innhis step and was quicker to the hole than our current RB1.... he may not be patient yet but I think the hips are better also. Touches will fix the vision I believe

Right now, he runs right into the pile.
His vision needs a lot of work.

Reactions: DANC
Living in Avon I have watched Sampson play (live and on webcasts). He was very good his junior year and started out blazing his senior year. But, he was injured late in the 1st half against Ben Davis (2nd game of the year). He played sparingly for a few games, then was back as a starter, but I never saw the same Sampson James since Ben Davis. I have no knowledge as to what the injury was, nor am I aware of any surgical procedure. But, he seemed to be just a straight ahead runner instead of making that initial cut. Seems like that hasn't changed.

I have been disappointed in the production from Walker and James this year. I expected more back in August in all honesty. I defer to the coaches on this one but I was advocating for red shirting James early on but obviously that did not happen.

Most incoming Power 5 college football players have to learn the game rather than just relying on pure talent, which can be an adjustment for sure. It is also true that (for most) there is work to be done in terms of developing their bodies. The Big Ten is no picnic so a freshman offensive lineman for example usually isn't ready to deal with the physicality of this league.

I am a little concerned that James hasn't shown a little more to date. At this point he has had Spring ball and has played in 11 games. Surely things should be beginning to click by now? I feel like in just the last two games there have been a couple flashes of potential explosiveness but at some point potentiality has to be realized.

I suspect James will get 10-15 carries tomorrow and Purdue is bad against the run so if he looks ineffective I will become even more concerned. I predict anywhere from 45-75 yards from him against the Boilers.

Last edited:
I am anxious to see what he can do in non-garbage minutes when the defense knows we aren't passing the ball. He really hasn't been a featured back this year during meaningful minutes. He was in there for a while when Stevie was hurt, but I still don't think he had meaningful reps. thoughts? we shall see today! Is Stevie out or a "game time decision" still?

I am anxious to see what he can do in non-garbage minutes when the defense knows we aren't passing the ball. He really hasn't been a featured back this year during meaningful minutes. He was in there for a while when Stevie was hurt, but I still don't think he had meaningful reps. thoughts? we shall see today! Is Stevie out or a "game time decision" still?

I think it will be a whole lot of running back “by committee” today. Ellis, James, Walker, Lloyd.

Reactions: 76-1
It was phenomenal how he was able to move the pile before going down. It also looked like the IU line had been coached to push the pile. We racked up a bunch of yardage that way.

Agreed, I loved the kid today. Understand it was not Ahia, UM or Psu but he made a statement.

Guess Sampson answered all the naysayers..

rough season. But KICKED ASS AT PURDUE.

He, Ramsey, and Whop won the game for IU.

looks like we have a kick ass #2 back for next season behind Stevie.

Sampson is the real deal

Turned out the “knowing you have the touches and a big game opportunity” was what Sampson needed. So happy for him, and think that is a game he can build off of going forward in his career. Add some patience & better vision and he could be really good next 3 years! Congrats SJ!

Reactions: muubell
Sampson James ran great!! Couldn't have asked more of a true freshman, who has barely played in his first start (and, oh, against biggest rival). Love going into the bowl game and next season with 2 backs that IU can pound D's with.

Sampson James ran great!! Couldn't have asked more of a true freshman, who has barely played in his first start (and, oh, against biggest rival). Love going into the bowl game and next season with 2 backs that IU can pound D's with.

He couldn't have been better.....esp no fumbles.

Walker still looks pretty weak as a #3.....didn't really show us anything yesterday, but at least no fumbles.

The announcers did say Walker was a better pass blocker than James.....anything to that?

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
He couldn't have been better.....esp no fumbles.

Walker still looks pretty weak as a #3.....didn't really show us anything yesterday, but at least no fumbles.

The announcers did say Walker was a better pass blocker than James.....anything to that?

Ran well
Blocked OK - 1 hold

Pushed the pile several times.

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
James looked better on that last drive versus Michigan than he has all year long. He looked pretty good and moved the chains. I also thought he ran very hard on that series.

Assuming he gets the start, he might pop off a 100+ yard game this Saturday versus Purdue. I'd almost rather see Indiana just play ball control and run it down Purdue's throat if that'll get the Bucket back to its natural home.
After reading some genius posts about Sampson James....yours was so accurate it is scary. James showed quickness, strength between the tackles, and bounced into the hole a couple of times showing vision and quick lateral quickness

You were spot on

After reading some genius posts about Sampson James....yours was so accurate it is scary. James showed quickness, strength between the tackles, and bounced into the hole a couple of times showing vision and quick lateral quickness

You were spot on
When you watch Indiana football as closely as I do, you better be right occasionally!

I think we saw why Ohio State recruited him. He's a future NFL back. Reminds me somewhat of Jordan Howard with the leg drive, but also bursts through the line of scrimmage. He's also flat-out fast. Let's hope he stays two more years. They were running him straight into the line too much in previous games. Need to send him more off the tackles. If both he and Stevie Scott are healthy for the bowl game, we will be very hard to stop.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT