ADVERTISEMENT

D-1Baseball did their fall report on IU...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Burke Granger, D-1 baseball's Midwest correspondent out of Columbus, Ohio did their fall report on IU. It was extremely long and very detailed so here are some tidbits/excerpts from it. The report was much more detailed than this, and I hope I don't get into trouble for providing this much detail, and it's just the view of one knowledgeable individual. He talked about the big turnover of players from 2021 to 2022 which caused continuity problems for the program. He opened up about IU position players and he said this:

"Indiana retained an especially strong group on the position player side, including four members of the All-Big Ten Freshman team and a couple offensive holdovers who turned down professional opportunities. This group of galvanized veterans welcome another talented crop of newcomers to comprise one of the stronger position player groups in the Big Ten."

He then did a brief introductory of the pitching position citing how IU has done a good job of churning out draft talent on the mound with seven IU pitchers selected in the last two seasons, including five weekend starters. Here's a quote from the article:

"Outside a couple standouts, the Hoosiers struggled to gain footing on the mound last season, finishing last in the Big Ten in ERA (7.04) and walks (332). If you want to look at it through a more optimistic lens, the Hoosiers finished second in the Big Ten in strikeouts and return several pitchers from the team that helped them do so. While some of the same questions entering last season persist, there’s more depth in this pitching group than there was a year ago."

He discussed how the outfield returns all three starters in Carter Mathison, Bobby Whalen and Hunter Jessee. He also said this about Morgan Colopy:

"The best defender in the group, Morgan Colopy will be in the center field mix as well, although he has the instincts and arm strength to play all three spots. A standout performer as a freshman in 2021, Colopy stumbled in his encore, slashing .236/.329/.431 as a draft eligible sophomore last season. When he’s dialed in, he’ll work counts and produce above average-to-plus exit velocity numbers at the plate. An unsigned 34th-round pick out of high school in 2019 (Orioles), Colopy is a bounce-back candidate this spring. "

He also mentioned that Stan Murrison is a standout defender in the outfield, and he said this about freshman Devin Taylor:

"A highly regarded prep prospect, the Hoosiers were fortunate to get Devin Taylor to campus where he could make an immediate impact, especially with the bat. The freshman has a smooth lefthanded stroke and is in the mix for left field, first base and designated hitter reps."

As far as the infield goes, he talked about the players we already know about in Phillip Glasser, Josh Pyne, Evan Goforth, and Brock Tibbetts. As far as other candidates for the infield, he said this:

"Tyler Cerny is a highly recruited talent out of nearby Indianapolis who will be in the mix for infield opportunities. A transfer from Florida, Jorge De Goti played sparingly for the Gators last year (9 games) and is expected to compete and provide depth at second, short and third.

He cited how IU is deep at the catcher position. He said this about Ellis:

"Affectionally nicknamed “Big Country”, Matthew Ellis is back after slashing .271/.398/.564 while pacing the team in RBIs (65) and walks (40). At 6-foot-4, 240-pounds, Ellis is an imposing figure in the batter’s box with plus raw power to match. Displaying bat speed, barrel control and brute strength, he’s a prodigious power threat, and was among the national leaders in home runs early in the year. While he slowed a little during the Big Ten schedule, he still finished with an impressive 18 long balls and earned third team all-conference honors. Big Country flashes a strong arm behind the plate and improved receiving skills." He said this about Serruto: "A savvy defender, Peter Serruto gets high marks for his catch-and-throw skills as well as his ability to handle a pitching staff. A three-year starter at Rutgers before transferring to Indiana before last season, Serruto has an abundance of Big Ten catching experience. Historically, he’s been light on offensive production (.544 career OPS), but he’s made strides with the bat this fall as a situational hitter who can spray the ball around. As far as freshman catcher A.J. Shepard goes, he said this "The Hoosiers were fortunate to get A.J. Shepard to campus after he garnered some late season draft buzz as a standout prep catcher from Virginia. He exhibits impressive pop to the pull side and could be deployed as a righthanded DH option in addition to seeing time at catcher and first base.

As far as pitching goes, he says that Ty Bothwell (4.47 ERA out of the bullpen) is the favorite to land a rotation spot. He believes W. KY transfer Luke Sinnard is another candidate for the rotation and said this about him, " Sinnard is a candidate to join Bothwell in the rotation after going 1-2, 7.18 with more than a strikeout per inning in a swingman role for the Hilltoppers last season. The 6-foot-8 sophomore was impressive in the fall, showing a high spin fastball up to 94 mph and 2700 rpms." Other candidates for the starting rotation that were mentioned:

"Gabe Levy will see meaningful innings. He pitched in both roles for Davidson during a decorated four-year stint with the Wildcats, compiling a 13-5 record, 3.27 with 20 games started and 20 saves. He fills the zone with a three-pitch mix. His fastball has been clocked as high as 95 in his career, though he pitches more consistently in the upper-80s, while also showcasing a swing-and-miss changeup and a low-80s slider.
"Ben Seiler made headlines last April when he struck out 19 against Niagara, setting the D1 high water mark for punchouts in a game for the season. Now a Hoosier, the 6-foot-6 lefthander gets downhill from a high slot, attacking hitters with 88-89 mph fastballs, low-80s changeups and mid-70s breaking balls."
"Ryan Kraft is a candidate to start after leading the team with 24 relief appearances last season. While he pitched in the low-90s and showed the ability to spin a 75-77 mph breaker in an early season look last spring, the lefthander shined in the Appalachian League last summer (4-0, 1.73 with 29:3 K/BB ratio) and made big strides in the fall while working to optimize his pitch package."
"Brooks Ey came to Bloomington via Fordham, where he went 4-7, 6.90 as a weekend arm for the Rams. The 6-foot-2 righthander is described as having power stuff, and his stuff checks a lot of analytical boxes. Ey also shined in summer ball, going 3-1, 0.69 with 43 strikeouts/six walks in 26 innings in the New England Collegiate Summer League. Like Levy, Ey is a candidate to close if he doesn’t land in the rotation."
"Seti Manase is a transfer from Tacoma Community College (Wash.) who had a lot of success at the Juco level, going 9-2, 1.69 with 92 strikeouts compared to just 10 walks in 74.2 innings last spring. The big bodied righthander sits in the 88-90 mph range with his fastball and does a good job of landing his splitter and slider for strikes."

Bullpen candidates according to him are, and I'll just list the names he cited: Luke Hayden, Grant Holderfield, W.KY transfer Cooper Hellman, Youngstown St. transfer Nathan Ball, Butler transfer Adrian Vega, and Wes Burton, a transfer from Ole Miss. He also said this about freshman Connor Foley: "Keep an eye on Connor Foley, a 6-foot-5 freshman with a power fastball up to 96 mph who threw well this fall."

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this overview. I saw all of 5 innings of an intersquad game and would add a couple of names:
1. Ethan Vecrumba, has talent, patience at the plate, and could surprise if opportunities present themselves in a already crowded outfield,
2. Jace Druschel, a walk on freshman infielder who hustles in everything as he goes to the right place consistently, hope he makes the squad.

And of course the coaches need to find 4 solid starters and ideally a closer, or a set of dependable guys with location and stuff to make it through the opposing line once.

There are big opportunities on some daunting trips starting in about a month and a half.

Last edited:
Looks like IU built on last season’s successes. Let’s host a regional again this year.

Looks like IU built on last season’s successes. Let’s host a regional again this year.
As it is with every program, it all hinges on the success of the pitching staff. I and everyone else don't want to see another season where we have to try to outscore the opponent in many of the games. Dustin Glant was under heavy criticism last season from us and probably others as the pitching staff struggled mightily for much of the season with returning pitchers, with the exception of one, seeing their ERAs soar compared to the previous season. We have to give Glant credit for the improvement in the staff near the end of the season, and they pitched pretty well in the B1G tournament until we ran out of effective pitchers when we faced Rutgers. Needless to say, all eyes are going to be on Glant and the pitching corps during the early part of the season. The irony of it is that Modugno got destroyed by Rutgers starting in the 1st inning in the elimination game of the B1G tourney, and they now have him on their staff. I assume they believe they can turn him around, and he did have a good season for IU in the season before last.

Pitching has a huge mental component. I believe that is what was the problem in ‘22. The ”stuff” was as good as it gets for IU baseball as the number of strikeouts attests. But “location” frequently failed the entire staff. That often comes from overthrowing, aiming, or just lack of focus when the inevitable adversity comes. While IU can and has been able to land good position players, top notch pitchers coming out of high school that come to IU have historically been rare. I think Luke Hayden may be the best HS pitching recruit IU has landed in many years. You mention Modungo and he was a prime example of the problem, he has good stuff, but when adversity struck his location got worse and worse and guys at this level can hit mistakes, take walks, and accept hbps. Hopefully for him a fresh start will get him back on track.

Mercer has mentioned positive strides with Hayden‘s mechanics and confidence. He has also mentioned focus and ability to move on from a bad pitch and one big hit for some of the new additions, specifically Manase, Levy, and Foley come to mind (IUBASE interviews after fall games). The proof will start to come in mid February.

If the staff can produce an ERA in the mid-3s the Hoosiers will be playing a while come June, IMO

Reactions: ptrich and mk30
Pitching has a huge mental component. I believe that is what was the problem in ‘22. The ”stuff” was as good as it gets for IU baseball as the number of strikeouts attests. But “location” frequently failed the entire staff. That often comes from overthrowing, aiming, or just lack of focus when the inevitable adversity comes. While IU can and has been able to land good position players, top notch pitchers coming out of high school that come to IU have historically been rare. I think Luke Hayden may be the best HS pitching recruit IU has landed in many years. You mention Modungo and he was a prime example of the problem, he has good stuff, but when adversity struck his location got worse and worse and guys at this level can hit mistakes, take walks, and accept hbps. Hopefully for him a fresh start will get him back on track.

Mercer has mentioned positive strides with Hayden‘s mechanics and confidence. He has also mentioned focus and ability to move on from a bad pitch and one big hit for some of the new additions, specifically Manase, Levy, and Foley come to mind (IUBASE interviews after fall games). The proof will start to come in mid February.

If the staff can produce an ERA in the mid-3s the Hoosiers will be playing a while come June, IMO
IU had a lot of negatives on the pitching side last season as we are all painfully aware of. You mentioned Luke and he led the B1G in wild pitches, and I'm not just picking on Luke since he had a lot of company when it came to the negative pitching stats last season. I refreshed myself on some of the negative pitching stats we had last season. IU probably led the B1G in leaving bruises on opposing batters and they finished with the 2nd highest hit batter total in the NCAAs last season out of 301 teams. IU also ranked high in walking batters and finished 270th nationally in walks per 9 innings at 5.83. The one thing that we did well was striking out batters, so that's a positive. Those are just some of the things that we hope to improve on in the coming season. You are correct on the mental component, so let's hope everyone gets off to a really good start.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
IU had a log of negatives on the pitching side last season as we are all painfully aware of. You mentioned Luke and he led the B1G in wild pitches, and I'm not just picking on Luke since he had a lot of company when it came to the negative pitching stats last season. I refreshed myself on some of the negative pitching stats we had last season. IU probably led the B1G in leaving bruises on opposing batters and they finished with the 2nd highest hit batter total in the NCAAs last season out of 301 teams. IU also ranked high in walking batters and finished 270th nationally in walks per 9 innings at 5.83. The one thing that we did well was striking out batters, so that's a positive. Those are just some of the things that we hope to improve on in the coming season. You are correct on the mental component, so let's hope everyone gets off to a really good start.
Couple that with the weak fielding up the middle and it made for a long season.

Reactions: ptrich
Couple that with the weak fielding up the middle and it made for a long season.
Early on in the B1G last season we were doing extremely well when it comes to fielding. If my memory is correct, and I'm pretty sure it is, we ranked 2nd in the conference in fewest errors committed after a few conference games, then all of sudden we couldn't get through a game without two or three errors in most games and we ended up falling all the way down to 9th in fielding. Maybe my memory is faulty on this, but I'm thinking that we committed three errors on one play last season in a conference game.

Early on in the B1G last season we were doing extremely well when it comes to fielding. If my memory is correct, and I'm pretty sure it is, we ranked 2nd in the conference in fewest errors committed after a few conference games, then all of sudden we couldn't get through a game without two or three errors in most games and we ended up falling all the way down to 9th in fielding. Maybe my memory is faulty on this, but I'm thinking that we committed three errors on one play last season in a conference game.
That's how I remember it. It's like we fell off a cliff for some reason. I don't recall losing anyone to injury and we even changed up the middle in an effort to stop the bleeding, but it didn't seem to help.

Hope the arms and the gloves have it together this season. Seems like we might have a lot of potential for a good season.

Go Hoosiers!

Glasser got injured and was replaced by successive freshman at ss sometime in late April or early May.

Glasser got injured and was replaced by successive freshman at ss sometime in late April or early May.
Yes, I'm trying to remember, but I think he broke a finger, and it took a hot bat out of the lineup for a while.

In another item, IU had one player in D1Baseball's top 100 impact transfer list and that was RHP Gabe Levy who was ranked No. 85. As expected, most players on the list were at sunbelt or southwest/west teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk30
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT