ADVERTISEMENT

Thompson gets last minute goal for the win over NM

Thompson’s Late Penalty Propels No. 13 Hoosiers Past New Mexico

SOUTH BEND, Ind. – The No. 13-ranked Indiana University men's soccer team opened the season with a dramatic, 1-0 victory over the New Mexico Lobos in the first match of the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament on Friday in South Bend, Ind.

Preseason All-America honoree Tanner Thompson converted a penalty kick with just 30 seconds left in regulation to give the Hoosiers the win over the Lobos. With the win, IU remains undefeated in the team's last six openers and improves to 9-1-5 overall dating back to 2002.

Senior GK Colin Webb was outstanding for the Hoosiers, making four saves to post his first shutout of the season and the 21st of his career. In 2015, Webb recorded 10 shutouts for the Hoosiers.

"I thought New Mexico was a very excellent and mature team," IU head coach Todd Yeagley said following the win. "Our rhythm and attacking wasn't great today, but I thought we battled and adjusted. I know offensively we will perform much better moving forward. But we got another zero and it was great to get Tanner on the score sheet – I think that's important early in the season. I think New Mexico is going to be a very good tournament team, so this win will go far for us."

In a balanced first half, the Hoosiers and Lobos were both unable to get on the scoreboard. Indiana out-shot New Mexico, 5-4, and also had a 3-1 advantage in corner kicks.

Tanner Thompson had the best look on goal for the Hoosiers in the first half, but his right-footed shot from the top-left corner of the 18-yard box was saved at the near post by the UNM goalkeeper in the 29th minute.

In the second half, the Hoosiers had a great opportunity for a goal in the 59th minute. Off a corner kick, the ball found junior DGrant Lillard at the top of the six-yard box. The preseason All-America selection flicked a header to the back post, but the Lobos' goalie was able to make a bobbling save to keep the Hoosiers off the board.

With less than a minute left in regulation, Indiana had one more scoring opportunity with overtime looming. Working on the right side of the pitch, two yards inside the 18-yard box, freshman A.J. Palazzolo cracked a shot that was blocked by a UNM defender.

The rebound fell to the foot of Lillard, who attempted to chip a shot over the charging Lobos' defense from 15 yards out, but a handball was called after a New Mexico player batted the ball down, giving the Hoosiers a penalty shot.

Thompson stepped to the spot and struck a great penalty, beating the New Mexico keeper to give IU a 1-0 lead.

New Mexico had one last shot to force overtime with 19 seconds remaining, but Webb made a diving save at the near post off a header from UNM's Luke Lawrence to preserve the shutout and the win for Indiana.

For the match, IU out-shot the Lobos, 14-12, with each team getting four shots on goal. The Hoosiers also had the advantage in corner kicks, 7-1.

The No. 13-ranked Indiana men's soccer team will be back in action on Sunday, Aug. 28 when the Hoosiers face UC Irvine in the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament in South Bend. Kickoff is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. ET.

For all the latest on Indiana University men's soccer, be sure to follow the team at @IUMensSoccer on Twitter, Facebook,Instagram and Snapchat.

Boxscore within link:
http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2016/8/2...y-propels-no-13-hoosiers-past-new-mexico.aspx

Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT