ADVERTISEMENT

This year's start versus last year

I hope Bates is working as hard on the same drills that Oladipo did to develop his handles. JG is still a ways out from having a shot at starting IMO.
I agree Bates will move in to the starting roll this year, but JG is a hell of a 6tth man. He is working tho! Gonna be fun to watch JG grow. Bates is more polished now. We are about to see a game where he scores 20 points.

That's laughable, the Bulls are one of the better teams again. Anyone suggesting a college team beats a pro team is just wrong, it would be a joke
Even if Gonzaga has 5 nba level players on their roster, an nba team is made up of 3 Gonzaga’s. Gonzaga couldn’t even beat the worst nba team.

Reactions: TomEric4756
The game is too fast right now for Geronimo. That'll change with more PT. Right now he's 7th on the team in minutes played (behind the starters and Bates). With his ceiling, it's hard to say how much better he will get this year.

I need to see more minutes from Leal, I was wrong about Lander, I think he is going to be good.
I have made many of comments that were wrong, respect when someone says they were wrong. I still doubt Leal contributes much this year unless we have significant injuries. But I fully anticipate him being a great upperclassman at IU and having a major impact at some point.

Absolutely absurd to think such a thought!

IU basketball Bahamas opponent BC Mega using college ...

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com › iu-basketball-baham...

Aug 11, 2021 — Indiana's reasoning for wanting to play a professional Serbian basketball club in a foreign tour in the Bahamas is obvious.

Granted, it wasn't an NBA level professional team, but we beat them. Point is, Gonzaga is scary good and they have many future NBA draft pics on their team.

My concern is that they become the next unbeaten team in college basketball. That would suck! I personally relish that achievement IU holds.

Sorry for voicing my opinion. I hope you all sleep well tonight. I can see it was very traumatic for some of you.
That didn't last very long did it?

However, I watched Gonzaga toy with the #2 team in the nation last night and unless they have some injuries, I think they go undefeated. I honestly think they could beat the Chicago Bulls right now and the Bulls are much much better than they have been in 15 years or so.
Well the Bucks, Suns, Lakers ect...better look out, Duke's coming for the NBA championship.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I've posted some thoughts about this in other threads, but thought it was a worthy enough discussion to start a new thread.

What does everyone think about this years start versus the first few weeks last year?

Main reason I'm asking, is I'm a tad worried that we might be overvaluing some of the things we've done so far. Mainly our defensive efforts. It seems like everyone is attributing our early success this season mainly to our defensive efforts thus far. I'm not so sure that tells the whole story. And I'm a little worried we're turning a blind eye to some flashing warning signs.

First off, our competition level has been really bad so far. St Johns is the obvious exception to that, but at this point last year, we had already played Providence, Texas, Stanford, and Florida State. And in ZERO of those games, did our defense allow those "good" opponents to shoot over 40% from the field. This year, we've played just one team that's at those teams level, in St Johns. And we allowed them to shoot 43% from the field, narrowly escaping with a victory. Last year through 5 games, we had only played 1 "bad" team. This year, we'll have played 4. We've looked more dominant this year versus those types of teams, to be sure. But how much of that will correlate to the good teams? It didn't for the entire game against SJU?! At times we were dominant, but when the game was over, we almost lost, and they had put together a solid offensive performance against us.

So is this positive perception of our defense because of the actual results, or more about the style? A man to man defense, that goes long stretches dominating, is visually much more exciting and appealing than the pack line stuff we saw with Archie. But in our only comparable games against good teams...a very key metric (defensive FG %) shows that the boring pack line, that did give up some easy stuff from time to time, was more effective than the more exciting, at times suffocating and dominant, man to man we're seeing this year.

Some of the warning signs I mentioned above...

-2nd half performances thus far have been very underwhelming. A couple of the games flat out bad.

-In our only game comparable to B10 level of play...we allowed their obvious best player and main threat waaaayyyy to many easy catch and shoot opportunities. I like an aggressive man defense as much as the next guy. But I'm more than a little worried that we allowed Champagnie to get that many catch and shoot looks. He may have scored 30 regardless, hes a really good ball player. But we allowed him to get there way too easily.

-Turnovers, free throws, offensive rebounds...these are usually key metrics for successful teams. And we've had our fair share of struggles in these areas. Both against SJU, but also against the weaker teams.

We're about to find out how "real" this early success is. And I'm excited to see it play out.

As I've posted in other threads, the single best takeaway, for me, from our first 5 games is how we respond to stress/adversity. We showed it in the Bahamas, and while I don't like that we've allowed teams back in games in a couple 2nd halves, I LOVE how we've responded and went out and won those games. I think this trait will be what enables this team to win a handful more games than last years team did. But I'm seeing enough questionable stuff, that I'm just not on the train yet to think we're going to make a huge leap this year.

We gotta beat somebody good first before I can compare us to last years team. We've played nobody except a shorthanded SJU at home.

I think it's fair to ask the questions @IUNorth is asking. It's early in the season and it's best to look at the season as a process where continuous improvement and calibration is the goal. There are always going to people who complain about being objective and truthful as somehow being negative. And there are always going to be people who look at 5-0 and over-react with unmerited optimism and bliss.
Overall I am more optimistic at this point than I thought I'd be but I'm definitely bothered by a couple things as well. Indiana has got to take better care of the ball and they need to improve from the free throw line. It's going to be difficult to get out of the mid-level morass of the Conference missing freebies and giving the ball away so often.
I really like how TJD was looking for 40 last night but when the game was still in doubt 2 or 3 times he kicked it for three-pointers which helped seal things. He got his 40 but he made the right play when it mattered and put the outcome ahead of his statline. I also really like the role players and bench on this team. There seems to be significantly more continuity and joy with this group - which goes a long way.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Everyone can debate all these theoretical what ifs……. Doesn’t matter. They’re fun to watch and Woody is our man. Looking forward to seeing how they play when the competition ramps up. But could do without the JV announcers we had for the Marshall game. Bardo gets a lot of criticism but I’d listen to him every game instead of that fluff last night

Reactions: Gooselands
I see players competing at a higher level. They give a shit about doing their job on defense and not counting on a teammate to bail them out. When they are open, they shoot the ball like they shoot with confidence. TJD is way more active on both ends of the court and in transition.

We have a PG that isn't scared to shoot and drive. Race has made a jump in effort and toughness. I'm still figuring out if Kopp and Stewart are going to be effective scorers. They don't put up the volume of shots I thought they would. They seem to be getting more comfortable, or at least shooting better in the last few games.

Lander is playing like he knows his coach trusts him and is free to use his natural PG instincts. He seemed lost in what Archie wanted from him.

There is a lot to work on, but this team has a better foundation than last year. They won't quit on Woodson.

I agree Bates will move in to the starting roll this year, but JG is a hell of a 6tth man. He is working tho! Gonna be fun to watch JG grow. Bates is more polished now. We are about to see a game where he scores 20 points.
Serious questions: how old are you? And are you an IU grad? Answer honestly or lose any shred of credibility.

Serious questions: how old are you? And are you an IU grad? Answer honestly or lose any shred of credibility.
I bet 100 posters could answer that question because I have lived my life transparently on here for the last several months, you 100% don’t have the balls to do that. 36, IU grad, born in Bloomington.

Now who are you? Post a picture of yourself, full name, phone number, email, and tell me exactly where you will be multiple times a week. Or lose all credibility.

Well the Bucks, Suns, Lakers ect...better look out, Duke's coming for the NBA championship.
Well Gonzaga won’t go undefeated , so that one is off the list . Also when we were sending college players to the Olympics it was an all star team made up of some of our best college players from all of college basketball. Finally the rest of the world has gotten better at playing basketball with their many pro leagues. Could a really good college team beat a pro team , well it could happen , but I wouldn’t bet money on it.

I bet 100 posters could answer that question because I have lived my life transparently on here for the last several months, you 100% don’t have the balls to do that. 36, IU grad, born in Bloomington.

Now who are you? Post a picture of yourself, full name, phone number, email, and tell me exactly where you will be multiple times a week. Or lose all credibility.
If I ran into Sean at TAH I would immediately know who it was. From photos it looks like we don't sit too far apart.

Well Gonzaga won’t go undefeated , so that one is off the list . Also when we were sending college players to the Olympics it was an all star team made up of some of our best college players from all of college basketball. Finally the rest of the world has gotten better at playing basketball with their many pro leagues. Could a really good college team beat a pro team , well it could happen , but I wouldn’t bet money on it.
Olympic Basketball was a lot more fun to watch when it was a bunch of college kids playing their hearts out for their country.

My biggest concerns are

#1 stopping runs- Basketball is a game of runs. And IU has been really bad about stoppiing teams when they get into scoring runs on them for many many years now.
Easier said then done but if this team is going to be a GREAT team theyre going to have to mentally dig deep and find a way.
Both St Johns and Marshall are great examples this year of this and why they were able to hang around out there with IU.

#2 intensity. - I think the first 5 games if im not mistaken IU played hard for 40 minutes all 5 games, against Marshall that wasnt the case, and it showed.
iU looked too relaxed, esp first half.

Those are easily my two biggest concerns, miles above everything else.
We are probably going to be ranked top 25 here in about 4 hours, Lets hope its not for nothing

This team looks like a hot mess right now regardless of wins. Chemistry and coaching will be the key moving forward. We have the talent so lets see what happens. I really like our coaching staff.

However, I watched Gonzaga toy with the #2 team in the nation last night and unless they have some injuries, I think they go undefeated. I honestly think they could beat the Chicago Bulls right now and the Bulls are much much better than they have been in 15 years or so.
This didn't age well. Gonzaga looked pretty overrated and Holmgren looks like a strong wind would blow him away. Duke beat them and maybe with their weak schedule they will have a good record, but last year's Gonzaga team was better, particularly at the guard position.

This year's Bulls team would destroy Gonzaga. If you really believe that part of your comment you are seriously delusional.

• Haha
Reactions: mk23

Nah, I'm not here constantly begging for credibility and/or visibility. Ever since you landed in the Bahamas, you consistently hyper promote yourself and your enthusiastic proclamations reap of a millennial. So the age thing was about as expected although I figured you might be 20. The grad thing worries me a bit. The next thing you post without a misspelled word or grammar mistake will be your first. Carry on son.

Nah, I'm not here constantly begging for credibility and/or visibility. Ever since you landed in the Bahamas, you consistently hyper promote yourself and your enthusiastic proclamations reap of a millennial. So the age thing was about as expected although I figured you might be 20. The grad thing worries me a bit. The next thing you post without a misspelled word or grammar mistake will be your first. Carry on son.
I talk for a living. You getting to read my gibberish is a blessing you should not take lightly.

Sick burn with the 20 year old comment, I see you have about as much wit as you do balls.

Sure you are. Your holier-than-thou something stuck up your ass persona is just begging for validation - denigrating others with uninformed drive-by spitballing is a dead giveaway.

As a self-styled authority on 'grammatical' (not grammar) mistakes and "hyper promotion" (should read 'hyper-promotion'), perhaps you can explain your incoherent "proclamations reap". And the next time you post something actually germane to the Program/Team/Game of basketball will likely be your first. GLWT.

My biggest concerns are

#1 stopping runs- Basketball is a game of runs. And IU has been really bad about stoppiing teams when they get into scoring runs on them for many many years now.
Easier said then done but if this team is going to be a GREAT team theyre going to have to mentally dig deep and find a way.
Both St Johns and Marshall are great examples this year of this and why they were able to hang around out there with IU.

#2 intensity. - I think the first 5 games if im not mistaken IU played hard for 40 minutes all 5 games, against Marshall that wasnt the case, and it showed.
iU looked too relaxed, esp first half.

Those are easily my two biggest concerns, miles above everything else.
We are probably going to be ranked top 25 here in about 4 hours, Lets hope its not for nothing
The only thing I think we know about this team thus far is that they appear to be enjoying themselves and they're more aggressive defensively. And I'd say it looks like we're definitely a deeper team this year than we have been in recent years.

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
Sure you are. Your holier-than-thou something stuck up your ass persona is just begging for validation - denigrating others with uninformed drive-by spitballing is a dead giveaway.

As a self-styled authority on 'grammatical' (not grammar) mistakes and "hyper promotion" (should read 'hyper-promotion'), perhaps you can explain your incoherent "proclamations reap". And the next time you post something actually germane to the Program/Team/Game of basketball will likely be your first. GLWT.
Go back into your little black hole. I'll let you know if I ever need your opinions.

There you go with the racist crap again, Get lost white trash, you must have pictures of the owner of this site!

There you go with the racist crap again, Get lost white trash, you must have pictures of the owner of this site!
You might be the only person in the world that thinks GLWT mean anything other than 'good luck with that'. Not as if anyone here with a shred of sense cares or even knows what ethnicity anyone is.

Year after year, nothing about you is memorable or impressive save for your stupidity. GLWT.

You might be the only person in the world that thinks GLWT mean anything other than 'good luck with that'. Not as if anyone here with a shred of sense cares or even knows what ethnicity anyone is.

Year after year, nothing about you is memorable or impressive save for your stupidity. GLWT.
What happened to your premium subscription?

Perhaps some of you on this board are beyond full of shit, to the point where it can't be explained out of you but here goes... Not only would even the worst NBA team beat any college team, but the NBA team would be able to name the score 10/10 times. NBA teams are so much bigger and more athletic that even the best college offenses would be unable to get open shots consistently.

Do you think all of those top draft picks out of college go to the NBA and suddenly get worse? No, they improve exponentially while getting bigger faster and stronger. They become grown ass men and every NBA team is full of them.

Also, keep in mind the 3 point line gets moved way back in the NBA. So for the majority of NBA teams in 2021 the college 3 point line is pretty much a lay up.

Even entertaining this as a possibility is beyond delusional. Stop relying on sports movies where "anyone can beat and anyone" and welcome back to reality. Where in this instance the mismatch is so big that it's not even close to the case.

Last edited:
Perhaps some of you on this board are beyond full of shit..
"Perhaps"? All of a sudden you're a diplomat? 🍏

Reckon "beyond full of shit" would require being bloated by or made of it - could explain why it seems to serve as a signature for some.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT