ADVERTISEMENT

This team is an O-line away

jlasson

Freshman
Jun 24, 2021
As I've taken some time to digest, I'm so frustrated because this team looks considerably better in nearly every aspect from last year...except O-line. Again, we're one game in so we have a very small sample size for this team, but the D-line looked like they could actually generate pressure, the secondary looked very strong, albeit against a pretty mediocre QB and as a whole the defense seemed to play with much more of an edge than last year(not blaming last year's defense considering what the offense looked like).

Camper was a delightful surprise and Idk about y'all, but I can see why DJ Matthews was a top 60 recruit coming out of HS. Bazelak also looked really solid in his first start, able to make most throws accurately but more importantly, didn't panic and throw the ball at the first target he sees when under pressure(only interception bounced off the wide receiver's hands). There were some questionable calls from Bell, I hated the read option call on 3rd and 7 in the 4th quarter with an O-line that's been dominated the entire game and a pocket passer at the helm. But overall, I thought the offensive looked far more creative and cohesive than they did all of last year and that is a really well coached Illinois defense.

Now the elephant in the room, the O-line. At best, the pass protection was mediocre and the run blocking was just pathetic. I said Illinois has a solid defense and I meant it, but they don't have a talented enough front seven for it to be acceptable to average 1.67 yards per carry(not including Bazelak's runs/sacks). That's not losing the line of scrimmage, that is simply being dismantled to a lower tier conference opponent. Almost everyone on this board said it at the end of last year, and even casuals are asking, WTF is wrong with this O-line.

It's really a bummer because I think every change Allen made looked like it panned out in week one, but what felt like the most obviously needed change(outside of getting rid of Sheridan) didn't happen and there was no improvement year over year. When I say this team is an O-line away, I don't mean that we would be playoff or B1G title contenders, but I could absolutely see an 8-4 or 7-5 season with a few surprise upsets. As it is, I still feel like we'd be lucky to make a bowl game. I keep saying we'll see, but we all know Allen would've been well within his rights to fire Hiller after last season. If Ryan Day or Nick Saban were our HC, Hiller would've been gone the night of the Purdue game. Such a strange hill for Allen to die on, but here we are nine months later, shaking our heads and thinking the same thing, how could Hiller be brought back?!?!

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, didn’t Allen have to pay out of his own pocket for letting Sheridan go? Maybe he didn’t feel like doing that for an additional coach.

It’s bad. I saw a lot of lazy blocks. These guys just don’t have it. They were literally standing straight up. Our junior league kids have better technique. No clear outs, no push. Our QB is masking how bad they are. Hopefully they get better but after 2-3 years of this I’m not expecting them to get there. Defense was better but still gave up a ton of yards. The turnovers negated that. They were pretty consistent though. Made big plays when needed. Lots to work on but also some things to be optimistic about. Go Hoosiers!

As I've taken some time to digest, I'm so frustrated because this team looks considerably better in nearly every aspect from last year...except O-line. Again, we're one game in so we have a very small sample size for this team, but the D-line looked like they could actually generate pressure, the secondary looked very strong, albeit against a pretty mediocre QB and as a whole the defense seemed to play with much more of an edge than last year(not blaming last year's defense considering what the offense looked like).

Camper was a delightful surprise and Idk about y'all, but I can see why DJ Matthews was a to 60 recurit coming out of HS. Bazelak also looked really solid in his first start, able to make most throws accurately but more importantly, didn't panic and throw the ball at the first target he sees when under pressure(only interception bounced off the wide receiver's hands). There were some questionable calls from Bell, I hated the read option call on 3rd and 7 in the 4th quarter with an O-line that's been dominated the entire game and a pocket passer at the helm. But overall, I thought the offensive looked far more creative and cohesive than they did all of last year and that is a really well coached Illinois defense.

Now the elephant in the room, the O-line. At best, the pass protection was mediocre and the run blocking was just pathetic. I said Illinois has a solid defense and I meant it, but they don't have a talented enough front seven for it to be acceptable to average 1.67 yards per carry(not including Bazelak's runs/sacks). That's not losing the line of scrimmage, that is simply being dismantled to a lower tier conference opponent. Almost everyone on this board said it at the end of last year, and even casuals are asking, WTF is wrong with this O-line.

It's really a bummer because I think every change Allen made looked like it panned out in week one, but what felt like the most obviously needed change(outside of getting rid of Sheridan) didn't happen and there was no improvement year over year. When I say this team is an O-line away, I don't mean that we would be playoff or B1G title contenders, but I could absolutely see an 8-4 or 7-5 season with a few surprise upsets. As it is, I still feel like we'd be lucky to make a bowl game. I keep saying we'll see, but we all know Allen would've been well within his rights to fire Hiller after last season. If Ryan Day or Nick Saban were our HC, Hiller would've been gone the night of the Purdue game. Such a strange hill for Allen to die on, but here we are nine months later, shaking our heads and thinking the same thing, how could Hiller be brought back?!?!
I have said before the weak link in this team now is coach Hiller but since coach didn't let him go, I would wait to see with this offense how they do. If coach Allen is serious about building a team to win the B1G at some Hiller has to be gone with a much better OL coach coming in. Let's see how the OL does the next two weeks as this is a new offense for them, if no improvement occurs, he needs to be gone before this season is lost. There is a good OL coach on hand already to take his place if coach Allen makes a change during the season.

If I were coach Bell, I would have the nonblocking WR and Bazelak run stadium steps for leaving Shivers to take the hit he did on the first pass play.

While I agree I will also add 3rd OC in 3 years. Now when we have had competent OC's the o-line hasn't dominated, but were capable and sufficient. Sheridan just let that go to hell. As the saying goes week 1 to week 2 is the biggest difference. Lets see what happens next week and then against Cincy. I will say that I'm watching the arky-cincy game and the cincy defense seems solid. I would love to beat Cincy on their turf after last year. Anyways, lots to consider here regarding the O-Line NOBODY knew what to expect yesterday. With all the new bodies and coaches I was surprised. Not to mention coming off the hell year we had. Great start. Lets just improve and get some type of running game going.

One thing though...During the Wilson years we had excellent cut back runners. Now, we could't cut back if it slapped us in the face.

It's been widely speculated that Allen would have to eat not only Sheridan's contract, but Hiller's as well. He obviously chose to eat Sheridan's but couldn't Hiller's.

This is the main reason I don't think Dolson is up to the task of running a big time football program. It's a cheap look, not good.

It's been widely speculated that Allen would have to eat not only Sheridan's contract, but Hiller's as well. He obviously chose to eat Sheridan's but couldn't Hiller's.

This is the main reason I don't think Dolson is up to the task of running a big time football program. It's a cheap look, not good.
Yup, hey Dolson get your a$$ out there and shake down all these elite alums. If you need a guy on straight commission to get after em gimme a call. Nothing would make me happier. :)

Dolson would be over his head as the AD at an NAIA school.

He's stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

At least Dolson is an AD and not a carnival barker like Freddy
Dolson has done NOTHING to show he's anything more than a yes man for the B of T.... Fred was barely able to keep his head above water, too. Making long-due capital improvements that really only bring IU up to standard of the day aren't really "accomplishments" in my book...... Fred was barely above a Caretake..... Neither one is, or was, a visionary leader. Both had little, if any, influence in the direction of the B1G, let alone the NCAA .... A true visionary is what IU needs and IU hasn't had an AD that was one since Bill Orwig. Yep, Fred was a carnival barker but Dolson is a puppet who's their purely because he's done as he's been told.

I have very little to bitch about with Glass nor Dolson. Something I did profess loudly 3-4 years ago was maybe Hiller knows OL blocking, technique and the teaching of to develop 'trenchmen'. But he has never created mean, nasty SOB's. The only 1's he's ever coached were of that ilk before he recruited them. If Bell and Allen can light a fire under him, maybe it works out. (?) Real bastards win body to body trench face offs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT