ADVERTISEMENT

This is on Tom Allen

Certainly seems like an undisciplined bunch. Flashbacks of Bill Lynch going on.

We’ll see what Tom Allen and these coaches are made of.

I thought Penix would hide the weak coaching and we would be in the game. Our season will go as MP goes and today's performance isn't promising.

This season is not over by a long ways. We can still have a very good season. But...

I'd hate to be whomever has to clean up the humongous turd we left on Duke Slater Field.

I think it is stuck to their hind ends, until they find a way to play better.

Iowa has been trending upwards, since 2014, per ESPN FPI.

Despite this being a younger team, plenty of parts returned in all three phases.

Indiana made it tough on Iowa’s younger O-Line, but Iowa does have playmakers, but younger than IUs.

Good luck against Cincinnati and of course, Idaho next week.

I picked the West to go 1-3 this week. Glad to get Dub.

Good game for Black & Gold, despite two fumbles, like last year.

Reactions: CriticalObserver
I gave the O-line a pass last year for covid, but they looked brutal today, and this is an inexperienced Iowa defensive front. Penix played rattled the entire game and for good reason, the play calling was bad, but it wasn't so bad that we should have been held to six points, that can be put squarely on the O-line. I would not blame CTA for the loss, though he will need to be willing to clean house on offense(outside of McCullough and maybe Heard) if this offense doesn't take major steps forward by the end of the year.

Reactions: IUgradman
Iowa has good defensive lines and has rebooted three straight seasons with 3 new starters each season.

The D-Line coach is a former Iowa DL and recruits Indiana for Iowa.

Reactions: CriticalObserver
Offense has to play much better, it's that simple. The oline was a turd, Penix looked extremely rusty, and Sheridan called a lame game.

Positives for me are the field goal kicker and the defense. Get well against Idaho and knock off Cincinnati and all is right in the world.

I gave the O-line a pass last year for covid, but they looked brutal today, and this is an inexperienced Iowa defensive front. Penix played rattled the entire game and for good reason, the play calling was bad, but it wasn't so bad that we should have been held to six points, that can be put squarely on the O-line. I would not blame CTA for the loss, though he will need to be willing to clean house on offense(outside of McCullough and maybe Heard) if this offense doesn't take major steps forward by the end of the year.
Penix was under pressure all day. No protection.

Certainly seems like an undisciplined bunch. Flashbacks of Bill Lynch going on.

We’ll see what Tom Allen and these coaches are made of.
IU had only a passing attack. The qb is unable to tuck the ball and run. Protecting the injury. He also throws off the back foot because of the injury. That causes high throws, Unless all of this is corrected it will be a long season. Just this old man's opinion,

IU had only a passing attack. The qb is unable to tuck the ball and run. Protecting the injury. He also throws off the back foot because of the injury. That causes high throws, Unless all of this is corrected it will be a long season. Just this old man's opinion,
IU has big problem that don’t just resolve in a few games. The defense has dropped off as well. Handy and Anderson are the two guys that have at least some ability up front. The rest is non-existent. IU had blown coverages and there are some bad, bad omens from this debacle.

Hiller better be looking at job openings in Division II, all this time to develop a line and nothing. Penix's footwork was bad again today, as well as his touch on passes - the first interception was a rifle shot that didn't need to be. With the schedule IU has, could be a long season. Penn State's defense looked pretty darn good. If Tom Allen left the defense to Warren, time to take it back, if he coached this defensive debacle, he needs to do some major reevaluation. I expected a better second half, like at OSU last year and the second half was just as bad. Embarrassing. The jury is also about to come in on Nick Sheridan too, The offensive mistakes right out of the box showed a lack of preparation and his play calls are also unimaginative. The coaching staff owns this. There is still a lot of football left, but not a lot of time to put things right. The only potential good thing coming out of this could be Cincinnati looking at the film of this game could come into the IU game potentially overconfident expecting an easy win - which they may still get.

Penix was under pressure all day. No protection.
Penix was not under pressure. He held the ball too long and then panicked and threw the ball off of his back foot. Watching Mike Penix throw a football is like watching someone getting chased by hornets...flailing his arm while running away. If he can't set his feet and make a throw, we're going to have to limit the QB mistakes with Tuttle and play like we did at Wisconsin and try to win every game 14-6.

The offense has saved the defense so many times over the years, but now it just needs to not give the game away and let the d do its thing.

Penix was not under pressure. He held the ball too long and then panicked and threw the ball off of his back foot. Watching Mike Penix throw a football is like watching someone getting chased by hornets...flailing his arm while running away. If he can't set his feet and make a throw, we're going to have to limit the QB mistakes with Tuttle and play like we did at Wisconsin and try to win every game 14-6.

The offense has saved the defense so many times over the years, but now it just needs to not give the game away and let the d do its thing.
I don't know what game you watched if you think Penix wasn't under pressure. Was he on every mistake? No, but a clean pocket was an absolute rarity.

You are way overreacting to this game, Penix definitely does have some form issues. But to say he wasn't under pressure is just so ignorant. It is true that toward the end of the game Penix was not under pressure as much and just started panicking, but that's because the entire first half he had 2 seconds to get the ball out, college QB's simply don't play as well once they've thrown three picks. He definitely did not hold the ball too long either.

There was nothing open down field on 80% of our passing plays, honestly there's a case to be made that was the biggest difference from last year. He had no time against OSU and still put up huge numbers last year, the only difference, we had guys open against Ohio State. So either Iowa has a nasty secondary or the play calling was just significantly worse, I tend to think it was a mixture of both. Sprinkle in some bad luck and a road atmosphere, on top of the fact that the O-line didn't do anything in the run or pass and we ended up with this disastrous performance.

Reactions: IUgradman

He was under pressure from the jump. Every down.

I agree with you 100%. The first couple of series were terrible as we did not handle there stunts at all and had guys with free runs at Penix. We did adjust and gave Penix adequate time. He just doesn’t see the field as well as people think he does. He does a great job of getting the ball out on bubbles and tunnel screens or even some timing routes. But you are right when throwing down field he just doesn’t get rid of it. When he does throw it seems like it is to a covered guy when others seem to be open. We still held Goodson under a 100 yards with 56 yarder. So that was a plus. The secondary was good not great. Pass rush still a question mark. Created two takeaways against a team that does not give the ball away.
As far the run game Carr had some room early but Iowa made adjustments and shut down the outside. I don’t why we did not try going more downhill. It seems like we went from one extreme to the another where we never run outside to now we never run inside. Also not sure why Baldwin never got touched till late in the game does he turn the ball over in practice?
We faced a really good secondary today.. Which we knew they were. Iowa got off to a great start and we never recovered. I am not giving up on the season after one game.
I thought the defense played very well save the 56 yard touchdown in which we were outflanked and then Reese Taylor gambled and lost and came inside the wing and gave up containment and the end or outside backer was outflanked and also gave up containment.

I agree with you 100%. The first couple of series were terrible as we did not handle there stunts at all and had guys with free runs at Penix. We did adjust and gave Penix adequate time. He just doesn’t see the field as well as people think he does. He does a great job of getting the ball out on bubbles and tunnel screens or even some timing routes. But you are right when throwing down field he just doesn’t get rid of it. When he does throw it seems like it is to a covered guy when others seem to be open. We still held Goodson under a 100 yards with 56 yarder. So that was a plus. The secondary was good not great. Pass rush still a question mark. Created two takeaways against a team that does not give the ball away.
As far the run game Carr had some room early but Iowa made adjustments and shut down the outside. I don’t why we did not try going more downhill. It seems like we went from one extreme to the another where we never run outside to now we never run inside. Also not sure why Baldwin never got touched till late in the game does he turn the ball over in practice?
We faced a really good secondary today.. Which we knew they were. Iowa got off to a great start and we never recovered. I am not giving up on the season after one game.
I thought the defense played very well save the 56 yard touchdown in which we were outflanked and then Reese Taylor gambled and lost and came inside the wing and gave up containment and the end or outside backer was outflanked and also gave up containment.
Petras was held to 145 yards on a 48% completion percentage with a 5.4 yards per attempt average, both scarcely better than what Penix managed, and no touchdowns. Other than the interceptions (a big exception, granted), our secondary made Petras look just as bad as theirs made Michael look. The secondary was very good in this game, great, even.

Petras was held to 145 yards on a 48% completion percentage with a 5.4 yards per attempt average, both scarcely better than what Penix managed, and no touchdowns. Other than the interceptions (a big exception, granted), our secondary made Petras look just as bad as theirs made Michael look. The secondary was very good in this game, great, even.
Petras didn't have two pick sixes. He is patient enough to watch things develop, Penix was nervous all day. He is not the player you think he is, but still can become.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Petras didn't have two pick sixes. He is patient enough to watch things develop, Penix was nervous all day. He is not the player you think he is, but still can become.
The first pick six by Penix was a catchable pass for our receiver but the receiver slightly slipped while the ball was already on its way. That little slip likely changed that pass from a catch for a short gain to a tipped pass that went for six in the opposite direction. I didn’t see the second pick six so I’d have to look. From what I saw of the game, it was probably a pass that was too high and got tipped right to a defender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT