ADVERTISEMENT

This could not have worked out any better

On your first not sure I understand it ..

the variable rating +/- is an adj score based on that team's raw talent (raw talent is determined by combining PER, or average PER, + ratings from various people sources. giving us both a "valuable" opinion to balance out the PER). vs it's success or failure (in conference, in tourney, in non conf) and then adj into a value that equals points.

On point two. You are correct. Izzo was an example I used earlier. He doesn't do well with a team built of blue chips. He is though phenomenal with teams built of role players. Coach K doesn't either, he seems to fall just under his expectations when he has pro talent teams. He's better when he has a good mix and especially an experienced mix. the opposite also holds true. Roy William needs, absolutely needs, a cookie cutter lineup. When he has one, he's ranked one and tends to equal those expectations. Give him an average Pg, or any other missing piece and he's having a bad year.

Yea, this rating isn't magical or scientific, it's a starting point and a different perspective. This is my standard disclaimer. It adds to what you know about a coach, and if you followed for years it starts showing these types (what you just mentioned) trends. Everyone mentioned as a good coach today has a positive rating. So it fits our perspective. I would also bet most coaches perceived as bad, also rate badly.

There's no real epiphanies or anything here and very few surprises. What surprises me is Self being a +1.5 which is usually reserved for mid major coaches, and Fisher rating top 10. But if I use the same logic to say Bo Ryan is top 3 and I apply that logic to the two mention, well. It fits. Self doesn't have down years even when his talent is down. He can coach role teams, and star filled teams equally well.

On your last, "exactly". The coaching variable was created to add to preseason predictions. It wasn't meant to be a coaching rating, exactly. To make a decent coaching rating from it - it needs to be combined with an SOS weighted winning %, after all that is the major goal.

This post was edited on 3/16 7:46 PM by Guy_Fawkes

It's hard to put into words. Let me try this...

If the coach's "rating" is essentially a weighted win % compared to team PER, do you adjust the PER for the PER of that team's opponents?

As an example, Coach A might go 18-0 in a bad conference with a team that, while better than the rest of the league, is still also pretty bad. Would that show up in your statistics as performing well with a relatively poor team, or as performing well with an exceptionally talented team? In other words, are the PER numbers relative to the entire nation or to a coach's particular set of opponents?

goat

Nope, we let Kenpom and Sagarin do the SOS thing

instead of calculating it. We use thiers combined to weight the PER and the win %. And, it would show in their rating because they're SOS would be far lower.

Example. IIRC though it's not how we do it but example. 18-0 in say the MAC would be adj and equal 88% in an average conference and maybe a 70% in the Big... a 100% in the BiG would show as 110% + . in an average conf.

And they are relative to the nation not only this year but for the last five years. We go back five years to determine average.

This post was edited on 3/16 9:26 PM by Guy_Fawkes

Gotcha

The reason I brought this up is because I see it as perfectly plausible that a guy dominates, say, the OVC, because he's very good when he's coaching the best team, but then if he gets hired at a big conference school, he ends up with even better talent, but his results drop off because it wasn't the talent he was good at handling, but the situation in which he had more talent than his average rival.

I guess what I'm getting at is that whether or not a coach has a "talented" team is relative to his particular situation, and might not always be translatable. Specifically talking about coaches jumping from one league to another, obviously.

goat

A Legit Newb...

Long time lurker, decided to join after Andy passed. I don't post much, mostly just lurk. I had a log-in a long, long time ago, before the switch to Rivals, and never bothered to get a new one. I haven't posted under any other name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT