ADVERTISEMENT

The Frustration of “Should Have”

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
No question I eas a full on kool aid drinker coming into the season.

-I thought Penix was going to have a Burrow like year and put himself into the Heisman mix. He should’ve had better year”

-Clearly that meant I thought the returning lineman were going to be better. They should have been on paper.

-I think up to OSU game the Defense had played well enough to win every game prior and offense/Spec teams should’ve pulled their weight to win.

-Feel like OSU domination, combined with DB injuries and being let down so much in first 5-6 games, may have partially broken the spirit of the Def who should have played much better vs MD.

- Had IU just played about 10-20% better eliminating a turnover here or one stop there. IU should have beaten Cinci, MSU and MD.

- We should be 5-3 with 2 top 10 wins on resume.

It’s a bummer to have a season that feels like “the old IU” again this year.

But to end on a high note: I DO think IU has better talent than in years past. The facilities compete with B10. And not only do I think we will keep majority of our beat recruiting class, I believe we “should” continue being able to benefit from transfer portal additions now too. We’ve lost almost all players who hadn’t cracked the lineup much (not 100% but mostly) and I think IU can get more Ryder Anderson, Handy,, Kramer & Carr contributors ahead.

-I also think we should for sure see some coaching staff changes after the season that could help.

I still love IU FB, and still strongly support Tom Allen. I hope we end as well as we can, would love to beat PU to end year especially!

Id like to believe we should right the ship after this season and use a definitely friendlier first seven game schedule next year to get back to bowl eligible and beyond with an improved staff to boot.

But shoulda woulda coulda is no way to enjoy a season that’s for sure.

Here is a stat that is being overlooked this year: what team has given up the most points this season.

Answer: the Indiana Hoosiers giving up 31.6 points a game.

Reactions: Sophie1970
This would have to be the most frustrating year on record simply because of the overall expectations surrounding this season. Many media types and of course fans, had Indiana as the 2nd best team in the conference. When you go 6-1 in conference, those are inevitably the expectations put upon you the following year....

I can't cover all of the ground in this post, but Allen needs to build from this point forward for next year. That means playing younger guys here and there and probably different combinations on the oline. It means grooming DM for the future.

Next year's schedule certainly sets up for a bowl season but Allen will need to keep this class together AND raid the portal for a good MLB and other key pieces....

Go to the one minute 52 second mark of this video. The Hoosiers have just blocked the punt and it’s first down on the 13 yard line of Maryland. On the right side of the line Caleb Jones has nobody to block. Watch a Maryland lineman rush between the Hoosier right guard and right tackle untouched to put the first hit on the quarterback. Then a second defender who had knocked the Hoosier left guard onto his back puts the the quarterback away.

This play sums up the whole season.

Last edited:
I know college blocking schemes are a different level, but my HS coach would’ve really gotten all over the RG there. Caleb collapsing on the DL would’ve worked on that particular play, but an OT needs to keep a head up for the outside rush. He got his hand on the guy and looked like he was passing him off to the RG who did nothing to him.

In fact, it almost looked like the RG was releasing to set up a screen. I’m not sure if that was the call or not because only the WRs went out on routes. Also, BTW, great defensive holding on the WR at the top of the screen getting hung onto for 10 yards.

And it looked like Carr was in a position to at least slow him down, but stepped to the right, just as the DL was breaking through.

No question I eas a full on kool aid drinker coming into the season.

-I thought Penix was going to have a Burrow like year and put himself into the Heisman mix. He should’ve had better year”

-Clearly that meant I thought the returning lineman were going to be better. They should have been on paper.

-I think up to OSU game the Defense had played well enough to win every game prior and offense/Spec teams should’ve pulled their weight to win.

-Feel like OSU domination, combined with DB injuries and being let down so much in first 5-6 games, may have partially broken the spirit of the Def who should have played much better vs MD.

- Had IU just played about 10-20% better eliminating a turnover here or one stop there. IU should have beaten Cinci, MSU and MD.

- We should be 5-3 with 2 top 10 wins on resume.

It’s a bummer to have a season that feels like “the old IU” again this year.

But to end on a high note: I DO think IU has better talent than in years past. The facilities compete with B10. And not only do I think we will keep majority of our beat recruiting class, I believe we “should” continue being able to benefit from transfer portal additions now too. We’ve lost almost all players who hadn’t cracked the lineup much (not 100% but mostly) and I think IU can get more Ryder Anderson, Handy,, Kramer & Carr contributors ahead.

-I also think we should for sure see some coaching staff changes after the season that could help.

I still love IU FB, and still strongly support Tom Allen. I hope we end as well as we can, would love to beat PU to end year especially!

Id like to believe we should right the ship after this season and use a definitely friendlier first seven game schedule next year to get back to bowl eligible and beyond with an improved staff to boot.

But shoulda woulda coulda is no way to enjoy a season that’s for sure.
A new OC and OL coach will be the two most important hires CTA ever makes. He's got to get this right.

Parenthetically, I'd add that I'm not sold on Charlton Warren, and am anxious to see what he does with the D in Year 2.

A new OC and OL coach will be the two most important hires CTA ever makes. He's got to get this right.

Parenthetically, I'd add that I'm not sold on Charlton Warren, and am anxious to see what he does with the D in Year 2.
I'll cut Warren some slack. Our D has been very stout vs. the run, and it has hurt us to be without Mullen and Taylor vs. the pass - especially given that we are not able to get a lot of pressure on the QB without blitzing. This is his first year to see B1G teams. I thought Saturday vs. Maryland was the first time we had scheme issues, but some of that was a good QB picking on our inexperienced corners.

Definitely agree on the first part. We either have to recruit better O-linemen, or find them in the portal. Barring that, we must find someone who can coach up the guys we have. Otherwise, I'm not sure it matters what plays we call ( though nothing about Sheridan has been impressive either). A bad O-line = a bad offense. Always has, always will.

I'll cut Warren some slack. Our D has been very stout vs. the run, and it has hurt us to be without Mullen and Taylor vs. the pass - especially given that we are not able to get a lot of pressure on the QB without blitzing. This is his first year to see B1G teams. I thought Saturday vs. Maryland was the first time we had scheme issues, but some of that was a good QB picking on our inexperienced corners.

Definitely agree on the first part. We either have to recruit better O-linemen, or find them in the portal. Barring that, we must find someone who can coach up the guys we have. Otherwise, I'm not sure it matters what plays we call ( though nothing about Sheridan has been impressive either). A bad O-line = a bad offense. Always has, always will.
No question we've felt the loss of Mullen and Taylor but, by the same token, Warren won't have the benefit of an All-American linebacker anchoring the defense every season. But absolutely, as I suggested in my earlier post, Warren deserves more time.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips

I'm a lot more fearful than I am anxious.

The Troll was right in the 'Warren' thread when he pointed out that Warren's record as the AF DC was less than stellar. I think he sold CTA with his god-fearing AF demeanor. I don't think he's got the goods.

Without McFadden, Jones, Mullen, and others I expect a big decline next year defensively. Hopefully, that will be offset with some improvement offensively. Even so, that gets us another 3-9 type year.

Not only that, but our d has been put in some bad spots. We've thrown 10 interceptions and lost 2 more fumbles. How many shanked punts have we seen from our freshman punter this year?

They haven't gotten the help they deserve. We're turning the ball over more than 1 time a game. That's not good. That puts our d in a awkward position that we ask them to bail us out of time and time again. Can't keep doing that to them.

I'm a lot more fearful than I am anxious.

The Troll was right in the 'Warren' thread when he pointed out that Warren's record as the AF DC was less than stellar. I think he sold CTA with his god-fearing AF demeanor. I don't think he's got the goods.

Without McFadden, Jones, Mullen, and others I expect a big decline next year defensively. Hopefully, that will be offset with some improvement offensively. Even so, that gets us another 3-9 type year.
Those are legitimate fears because so much of the underclassmen are relatively untested and we obviously don't have Ohio St. level depth that can reload annually. Although I personally think we will see Cam back to be the man on the defense for his super senior year (thanks for the + year COVID) and we might see Mullen back since he's been hurt so long this year and he'll want to put out a strong senior campaign for the draft.

Those are legitimate fears because so much of the underclassmen are relatively untested and we obviously don't have Ohio St. level depth that can reload annually. Although I personally think we will see Cam back to be the man on the defense for his super senior year (thanks for the + year COVID) and we might see Mullen back since he's been hurt so long this year and he'll want to put out a strong senior campaign for the draft.

I'm also hoping Taiwan will want to play a year with his brother and have the Mullen boys patrol the corners for us.

I know college blocking schemes are a different level, but my HS coach would’ve really gotten all over the RG there. Caleb collapsing on the DL would’ve worked on that particular play, but an OT needs to keep a head up for the outside rush. He got his hand on the guy and looked like he was passing him off to the RG who did nothing to him.

In fact, it almost looked like the RG was releasing to set up a screen. I’m not sure if that was the call or not because only the WRs went out on routes. Also, BTW, great defensive holding on the WR at the top of the screen getting hung onto for 10 yards.

It is impossible, or at least nearly so, to know the blocking scheme of any play. But it appears to be that the TE was effectively the tackle there and took the edge player, looked like a blitzing LB, the rest of the linemen were blocking left due to the unbalanced defensive front alignment. So the RG was looking left towards the DL lined up over center. For some reason Jones reached for him and didn't get back and left into pass pro like the rest of the line.

Reactions: TMFT
Mike certainly had the ability to do exactly that. Tragic story for a highly promising athlete and good kid.
He had a lot of work to do with moving within the pocket and his footwork. It did not look like those issues had been addressed, which you have to put on Sheridan.

Here is a stat that is being overlooked this year: what team has given up the most points this season.

Answer: the Indiana Hoosiers giving up 31.6 points a game.
How many of those points were due to the offense and OSU that has been scoring over 50 points. Pulling up stats without context isn't really telling a true story.

Reactions: ESalum86
And play a year with his brother! He could have a beast like year next year if he stays healthy. Might Reese do the same & play one more given his injuries this year too?

Reactions: vesuvius13
And play a year with his brother! He could have a beast like year next year if he stays healthy. Might Reese do the same & play one more given his injuries this year too?
IMO, Reese is going to have a personal choice to make. If he just really loves football and doesn't want to hang 'em up, maybe he'll be back.

He's a real long shot NFL prospect at the moment, I think. His freshman year was relatively wasted and he's not been able to show much as a returner. I think he's a tremendous tackling, run-support, kind of corner as well as a really good college cover corner. But I don't necessarily think he's shown enough for an NFL team to really invest in. So maybe if he wants to give it one more crack to impress NFL scouts he might too?

While you thought Penix was going to put himself into contention for the Heisman Memorial Trophy, I was doubting whether Penix would ever participate in a Bucket game. My doubt continues to this day and beyond.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT