ADVERTISEMENT

Third assistant

Rosemond’s been the guy for a while folks. It’s just a matter of time until it’s announced.

Would certainly be Woody’s choice, and I think people are rightly concerned with it.
Don’t understand the concern! Clearly IU has done it’s due diligence. Yasir did nothing wrong before. He is a great communicator- he will be the bird dog in searching, finding & making initial contact with recruits. He has numerous AAU connections

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Don’t understand the concern! Clearly IU has done it’s due diligence. Yasir did nothing wrong before. He is a great communicator- he will be the bird dog in searching, finding & making initial contact with recruits. He has numerous AAU connections.
Well, his name came up (and transcripts confirmed this) in regard to finding ways to recruit players based upon certain questionable tactics. Not only was this in the context of NCAA rules issues but also in regard to a criminal proceeding. There’s nothing to suggest he was the target of a criminal probe, but he was was quite obviously someone who had Relationships with those who were both participating in illegal activities as well as NCAA violations. It seems reasonable, therefore, to wonder why we would select someone who hangs out in that space. But perhaps you can provide detail in regard to IU’s diligence here, as you’ve intimated that you could. Thanks.

RMK would bring guys in with a checkered past. I always trusted he would manage their behavior while representing IU.

I expect the same from Coach Woodson. That is why he makes the big bucks.
Neither of those coaches were in roles where they recruited, however. That’s a material distinction.

Well, his name came up (and transcripts confirmed this) in regard to finding ways to recruit players based upon certain questionable tactics. Not only was this in the context of NCAA rules issues but also in regard to a criminal proceeding. There’s nothing to suggest he was the target of a criminal probe, but he was was quite obviously someone who had Relationships with those who were both participating in illegal activities as well as NCAA violations. It seems reasonable, therefore, to wonder why we would select someone who hangs out in that space. But perhaps you can provide detail in regard to IU’s diligence here, as you’ve intimated that you could. Thanks.
So what are you suggesting? That no one from either the Indiana compliance office or athletic department is aware of Rosemond's name surfacing a few years back and are hiring him (potentially) on a whim? It's not plausible that the the Indiana compliance office/athletic department DID do their diligence, concluded that Rosemond isn't facing any NCAA violations/has had his name cleared and therefore is a candidate worthy of being hired (potentially). What's more plausible here?

I’ve seen Jabari Smith mentioned several times but everything I read says he is signed with Auburn and I see nothing about him asking to be let out of that, let alone it being granted. Am I missing something?

I believe Rosemond played with Jabari Smith Sr....in any event he is close to Sr. and communicates with Jr. on twitter. The thought is that Jr. may ask out of LOI with Auburn. I have no idea whether there's any substance to the speculation.

Reactions: brianiu
So what are you suggesting? That no one from either the Indiana compliance office or athletic department is aware of Rosemond's name surfacing a few years back and are hiring him (potentially) on a whim? It's not plausible that the the Indiana compliance office/athletic department DID do their diligence, concluded that Rosemond isn't facing any NCAA violations/has had his name cleared and therefore is a candidate worthy of being hired (potentially). What's more plausible here?

Just think........if one reads the trial accounts, one might come to believe that he'd be in prison or on probation now if he'd been better at his job. According to the 'agent runners' he wasn't bribe-worthy.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
You mean the same compliance office that claimed they were going to do all of those things with Kelvin Sampson and then failed to adequately monitor him on multiple occasions? That compliance office, which still includes some of the same people? I realize you’re not terribly familiar with the IU AD, but they don’t exactly have the greatest track record on things like this.

Just think........if one reads the trial accounts, one might come to believe that he'd be in prison or on probation now if he'd been better at his job. According to the 'agent runners' he wasn't bribe-worthy.
That they found others who were more willing to go along doesn’t mean he wasn’t listening. Read the transcript. He didn’t exactly storm out and threaten to turn everyone into the regulator (the NCAA). He did, however, express his personal ambitions, which alluded to a willingness to engage in some practices that might be considered all that pure.

Different standards for some of us, apparently.

That they found others who were more willing to go along doesn’t mean he wasn’t listening. Read the transcript. He didn’t exactly storm out and threaten to turn everyone into the regulator (the NCAA). He did, however, express his personal ambitions, which alluded to a willingness to engage in some practices that might be considered all that pure.

How many sit on the pedestal of perfection with you?

Reactions: birdforbogey
You mean the same compliance office that claimed they were going to do all of those things with Kelvin Sampson and then failed to adequately monitor him on multiple occasions? That compliance office, which still includes some of the same people? I realize you’re not terribly familiar with the IU AD, but they don’t exactly have the greatest track record on things like this.
So what's you answer? IU is just hiring the guy on whim? They have no clue about his track record though multiple on an anonymous message board are aware of his past?

Reactions: baileyiu

He was willing to go along. He offered to introduce his recruits to them.

They didn't offer him $ because he didn't then have a top prospect to deliver. He & two other guys couldn't deliver the goods. They weren't charged. The guys who had more pull with top prospects were charged and convicted. There's an interesting story on the internet about Tony Bland, former USC assistant. The FBI charged into his room with an arrest warrant and guns drawn, grabbed him, twisted his arm behind his back and shoved him up against the wall. Who are the good guys?

Anyway, our man Yasir is lucky he wasn't a better recruiter..........and now he's working for IU. Not bad work if you can get it.

Last edited:
He was willing to go along. He offered to introduce his recruits to them.

They didn't offer him $ because he didn't then have a top prospect to deliver. He & two other guys couldn't deliver the goods. They weren't charged. The guys who had more pull with top prospects were charged and convicted. There's an interesting story on the internet about Tony Bland, former USC assistant. The FBI charged into his room with an arrest warrant and guns drawn, grabbed him, twisted his arm behind his back and shoved him up against the wall. Who are the good guys?

Anyway, our man Yasir is lucky he wasn't a better recruiter..........and now he's working for IU. Not bad work if you can get it.
I didn’t read the stuff about Bland, and also saw some stuff about Book that was pretty heavy handed on the part of the FBI. Strange deal for a few basketball coaches. Not saying Yasir is an awful guy, but some here obviously are rather parochial in their worldview.

So what's you answer? IU is just hiring the guy on whim? They have no clue about his track record though multiple on an anonymous message board are aware of his past?
Maybe the answer is to steer clear of a guy who wanted to be a player in the world of shady recruiting but didn’t get in the door, since he had nothing of value to deliver to the bad guys with whom he sought favor. As Mushroom said, lucky for him he wasn’t more adept at his job. Had he been, he’d have suffered a pretty undesirable fate. But I’m not surprised you’re unable to understand the nuances here, however.

• Angry
I could care less if we cheat a little bit if, it brings us a Championship. Just don’t get caught and even if you do, they probably won’t do anything anyways. If we don’t do it, someone else will. Baylor probably just did.
Teams always pay a price after the money has been made. I’ll take a penalty after 6. Many don’t feel that way around here. I think rules have been stretched and we either aren’t good at playing with new rules or we take a zealot like approach and end up as a 10 seed in the B1G tournament. 10 doesn’t work for me on any level. Better get good at something fast. Go Hoosiers!

I didn’t read the stuff about Bland, and also saw some stuff about Book that was pretty heavy handed on the part of the FBI. Strange deal for a few basketball coaches. Not saying Yasir is an awful guy, but some here obviously are rather parochial in their worldview.

I'd rather see us hire Bland. That sob got roughed up by the FBI and convicted, and is remorseful as hell. He's got a real story he could tell kids, not like Yasir. What's he gonna tell them.......how to recognize an FBI sting?

• Haha
Look. IF the fricken NCAA looks the other way at Self,the LSU coach,USC,zONA ,Then I can take this guy as a coach. Coach K,Izzo,Williams,Calapari have all been known cheaters in the recruiting game. I bet there is not one college that hasn't broke rules at some point. The NCAA itself is a bribery taking money hog.Emmert the worst of the worst. No ones knows that Woodson will allow him to recruit carte blanche.

People will use this situation to fatten up their own narrative. There will be sunshine pumpers instantly claiming ethics beyond question and others desperate seeking a darker version all while disparaging the IU AD. Ignore the tripe.

The fact is this coach was in the parking lot when the drug deals went down and he needs to be vetted by the perfectly capable Compliance team and more importantly by Woody and Thad. End of story for anyone with a shred of objectivity.

People will use this situation to fatten up their own narrative. There will be sunshine pumpers instantly claiming ethics beyond question and others desperate seeking a darker version all while disparaging the IU AD. Ignore the tripe.

The fact is this coach was in the parking lot when the drug deals went down and he needs to be vetted by the perfectly capable Compliance team and more importantly by Woody and Thad. End of story for anyone with a shred of objectivity.
parking lot drug deals??

As if UK,Duke,Kansas, and UNC don't recruit questionably . I'm sure the discussions will be answered by Woodson and Matta. He must be okay with them. I'm not in that elite group to dictate what they should do.

Don’t understand the concern! Clearly IU has done it’s due diligence. Yasir did nothing wrong before. He is a great communicator- he will be the bird dog in searching, finding & making initial contact with recruits. He has numerous AAU connections
Right, I mean, when has IU ever hired a Coach who'd run afoul of the NCAA and had it be a problem?

Reactions: Birnk403
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT