ADVERTISEMENT

Third assistant

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
I know most of us are caught up in all the talk of transfers and roster decisions, but I'm wondering who Woodson's third assistant coach will be. Mike Roberts is still listed as an assistant on the official IU Athletics website. I'd be curious to know if Woodson has spoken with Mike Lewis at all since UCLA was knocked off by Gonzaga over the weekend.

I know most of us are caught up in all the talk of transfers and roster decisions, but I'm wondering who Woodson's third assistant coach will be. Mike Roberts is still listed as an assistant on the official IU Athletics website. I'd be curious to know if Woodson has spoken with Mike Lewis at all since UCLA was knocked off by Gonzaga over the weekend.
I have a gut feeling that Roberts is going to be retained. Fife talked like he would be working with Roberts and since we've not heard otherwise by now I think that's a safe assumption.

I think he'll be an even tougher "get" than Fife (and originally I thought the opposite)... He's with a team that'll probably have a legit shot at winning it all next year, after which he'll likely be in line for some mid level Head Coaching jobs...; for that matter, Cincinnati might take a serious look at him This year... We may have missed our window on him as an Assistant (which is ashame if it's the case)...

Reactions: kkott
Larry Brown (in the linked story) kept referring to him as an assistant. He seems to have a finger on the programs pulse.

Reactions: 76-1
Larry Brown (in the linked story) kept referring to him as an assistant. He seems to have a finger on the programs pulse.
I did see that comment from Brown in Rick Bozich's column. That comment along with Dane Fife telling Dakich that he would sleep on Mike Roberts' couch leads me to believe Roberts will be retained.

Im pumped. Having Larry and Thad in your corner basically advising you.... He said he would be in Bloomington as much as Woodys wife. We might just be on to something.

CAUTIOUSLY a optimistic.

I am sure I will have us going to the final four by the end of summer.

I'm surprised CMW hasn't brought anyone on his list to Coach. I think it is obvious that Thad, Dane and Hunter where all IU Athletic Director decisions that Coach Woodson obviously agreed with but none of those 3 people were someone that he had jotted down before he came to Bloomington. Roberts is an IU guy and it would be tough to kick him off the staff but that would make all coaches people he did not bring in. I like having Fife and Roberts so I am not saying anything negative about that but to me Fife was brought over to be a possible replacement when CMW retires, Hunter was retained to keep the current players from transferring, and Roberts will be retained so they wont piss off an ex player. Is it possible to add a fourth assistant?

I did see that comment from Brown in Rick Bozich's column. That comment along with Dane Fife telling Dakich that he would sleep on Mike Roberts' couch leads me to believe Roberts will be retained.
I would personally feel bad if MR didn't come back. I thought he showed passion on the bench and seemed the most interested in actually "coaching" guys. Maybe that's my IU bias, but I always thought Bruiser looked disengaged and not supportive of CAM... which maybe was warranted, but obviously you've got to be a "team guy". Roberts had a steady gig at UNCG and seemd well-respected, so I think he'd have been in line for that HC job or to follow Wes Miller when he ultimately moves. I understand it's part of the business, but I hope CMW did seriously consider him, and I'd be fine if he was retained if CMW feels he can help us.

I would personally feel bad if MR didn't come back. I thought he showed passion on the bench and seemed the most interested in actually "coaching" guys. Maybe that's my IU bias, but I always thought Bruiser looked disengaged and not supportive of CAM... which maybe was warranted, but obviously you've got to be a "team guy". Roberts had a steady gig at UNCG and seemd well-respected, so I think he'd have been in line for that HC job or to follow Wes Miller when he ultimately moves. I understand it's part of the business, but I hope CMW did seriously consider him, and I'd be fine if he was retained if CMW feels he can help us.
I'll feel bad for Roberts if he is ultimately let go. I agree with you on Roberts seeming to be the only coach on Archie's bench who displayed the type of emotion you see in guys who are hungry to win.

Reactions: jac79 and 76-1
Lewis is staying at UCLA.

Think that was sort of a 'tongue in cheek" reamrk as he was traveling with his family and his dogs. Or not - could park them all in a hotel and get right to work.
That was to come down and house hunt. He said they would go back while the girls finished school and he'd be a bachelor for a while.

I'll feel bad for Roberts if he is ultimately let go. I agree with you on Roberts seeming to be the only coach on Archie's bench who displayed the type of emotion you see in guys who are hungry to win.
Didnt Roberts get in a shouting match with Archie? I say keep and bonus!

I don't think Miller was very good at taking suggestions from his assistants during games which makes me believe he had that same attitude during practice. He just seems like one of those people that always thinks his way is the best and no suggestions from anyone else is necessary.

I will say though that Bruiser did go to KY and helped them have their worst losing percentage ever (I believe) so maybe he does need to share in some of the crap we put up with for 4 years.

Remember the name Jaris Rosemond
This guy?

I think I'd ask Keith Smart and/or Calbert Cheaney first......, but......, I know zip about that young Seattle coach so maybe he's a diamond in the rough... (like Brad Stevens in his 1st year at Butler [few knew his name to start with either]...).

I'm not too worried about our 3rd Assistant hire... With the cumulative knowledge (and contacts) of Mike Woodson, Thad Matta, and Larry Brown I think we'll end up with the right fit for that spot...

Would love to have Mike Lewis come home but that seems pretty unlikely...

Last edited:
If Lewis wanted to come you could always make Robert’s DOBO if we wanted to stay at IU and would accept that role
Lewis is happy at UCLA according to his brother Brian. Why would he leave in a lateral move to IU? Some people don't let emotions drive their decisions.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I'm surprised CMW hasn't brought anyone on his list to Coach. I think it is obvious that Thad, Dane and Hunter where all IU Athletic Director decisions that Coach Woodson obviously agreed with but none of those 3 people were someone that he had jotted down before he came to Bloomington. Roberts is an IU guy and it would be tough to kick him off the staff but that would make all coaches people he did not bring in. I like having Fife and Roberts so I am not saying anything negative about that but to me Fife was brought over to be a possible replacement when CMW retires, Hunter was retained to keep the current players from transferring, and Roberts will be retained so they wont piss off an ex player. Is it possible to add a fourth assistant?
Yeah. I’m sure CMW is just being told who to hire that can help him run HIS basketball team the way HE intends. His extensive playing and coaching experience at the highest levels show he doesn’t know WTF he is doing. Good call dude. You’re a genius!

This guy?

I think I'd ask Keith Smart and/or Calbert Cheaney first......, but......, I know zip about that young Seattle coach so maybe he's a diamond in the rough... (like Brad Stevens in his 1st year at Butler [few knew his name to start with either]...).

I'm not too worried about our 3rd Assistant hire... With the cumulative knowledge (and contacts) of Mike Woodson, Thad Matta, and Larry Brown I think we'll end up with the right fit for that spot...

This guy?

That is the guy, except you missed that he was at Georgia 2014-2017, and currently at Alabama 2018-2020. This "young" coach has 16 years experience!

That is the guy, except you missed that he was at Georgia 2014-2017, and currently at Alabama 2018-2020. This "young" coach has 16 years experience!

Well..., you made it a little tough on me (and google 😉) when you misspelled his first name and all I found was what I originally linked (his Seattle bio)...

Here's his Alabama bio...., which illuminates things considerably...:

**That's Weird! When I link his Alabama bio and then post it it switches from his to Avery Johnson!!! **

Here's a version that might stick:

Is he already here???

Do you have "inside"info or is this just someone you think would be a good fit?

That bio reads like a good hire... Why would he/did he leave Alabama??

The final question: was he the lone holdover from the previous staff that got to stay and work with Oats or did he get rifted along with everyone else??

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Remember the name Jaris Rosemond

So what's this guy's connection with CMW?

i'd rather we not hire someone who was caught up in an FBI sting.

The story I read was that JR was not offered $, only because he was not of sufficient influence to influence recruits' decisions anyway....google "Former Alabama assistant among coaches named in federal trial". WTH?

I know AJ Moye's name has been mentioned. I looked at what AJ's background has been since IU, and he's been involved in a variety of basketball-related activities. He would work.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
I know AJ Moye's name has been mentioned. I looked at what AJ's background has been since IU, and he's been involved in a variety of basketball-related activities. He would work.
Since 2011, AJ has been a "Master Coach of Basketball" at a place called Sports Academy in California. It sounds like he does a lot of personal training and one-on-one instruction with high school players. He was also involved at Oaks Christian as a coach for a year or two, but that's it.

Since 2011, AJ has been a "Master Coach of Basketball" at a place called Sports Academy in California. It sounds like he does a lot of personal training and one-on-one instruction with high school players. He was also involved at Oaks Christian as a coach for a year or two, but that's it.
True, but as far as I could tell he was very successful in the limited coaching he did and in his development of players at the academy.

Well..., you made it a little tough on me (and google 😉) when you misspelled his first name and all I found was what I originally linked (his Seattle bio)...

**That's Weird! When I link his Alabama bio and then post it it switches from his to Avery Johnson!!! **

Is he already here???

The final question: was he the lone holdover from the previous staff that got to stay and work with Oats or did he get rifted along with everyone else??

Is he already here???

The final question: was he the lone holdover from the previous staff
So what's this guy's connection with CMW?

i'd rather we not hire someone who was caught up in an FBI sting.

The story I read was that JR was not offered $, only because he was not of sufficient influence to influence recruits' decisions anyway....google "Former Alabama assistant among coaches named in federal trial". WTH?
It is my understanding that he was cleared of any wrongdoing. NCAA has given him a clean bill of health.
I hope the third assistant is not a former IU guy (I would have loved it to be Lewis). IU needs to expand the circle of coaches we might consider

It is my understanding that he was cleared of any wrongdoing. NCAA has given him a clean bill of health.
I hope the third assistant is not a former IU guy (I would have loved it to be Lewis). IU needs to expand the circle of coaches we might consider
Maybe we could make a strong ass offer to Will Wade. Maybe get Person on some sort of work release arrangement. Have we considered Book?

First, is there any smoke about him coming here, or is it just your thought that he might be a good choice?

Second, google the story I cited. His name came up in a trial. The "agent runners" testified that he said "whatever you need to do, I'll do it" and that the reason he didn't get $ was that he "didn't have pull with prospects". Is that your idea of being "cleared"?

I agree. I am not against another IU guy, but this hire should be for needed skill set.

Reactions: BHAII
First, is there any smoke about him coming here, or is it just your thought that he might be a good choice?

Second, google the story I cited. His name came up in a trial. The "agent runners" testified that he said "whatever you need to do, I'll do it" and that the reason he didn't get $ was that he "didn't have pull with prospects". Is that your idea of being "cleared"?
What was he charged with - nothing! That means he was cleared of any wrong doing. NCAA has also given him a clean bill of health.
Remember the name: Jasir Rosemond - IU knows who he is

• Sad
I'm back to thinking Keith Smart would be a great fit... My only question would be would he even consider taking the job... He most likely has an NBA job awaiting him somewhere when he finishes what amounts to be a sabbatical from pro coaching...

Here's an Great interview Guyton had with him recently that covers everything from "The Shot", to what Coach told him to focus on when he's breaking down film... :

I think he'd make a great college Coach here at INDIANA if he had any inclination to drop down a level and help get this ship righted and underway again...

Reactions: travlinhoosier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT