ADVERTISEMENT

The whole Nike satan shoe thing is really effing weird...

but what's even more insane/depressing is that all but one pair of the $1,018 shoes sold out within a minute of their release.

I'm not sure I want to know the type of person who buys something like that.
You’ve gotta hand it to Lil Nas X to be honest. He is desperately trying to not be a one hit wonder. Old Town Road, which sucked, was a colossal hit especially with kids. His new album sucks and he’s diversifying into branding himself and it is working.

I don’t get too pissed at artists that push the line like this. But I can see why some parents are upset given how his success was borne on the backs of their kids’ love of his song.

but what's even more insane/depressing is that all but one pair of the $1,018 shoes sold out within a minute of their release.

I'm not sure I want to know the type of person who buys something like that.
The headline of the linked article is a mess:

Nike files lawsuit over Lil Nas X 'Satan shoes', which contain human blood​

The collaboration dropped on Palm Sunday.​

The Nike lawsuit is based on the allegation that Nike has no involvement with the shoes, yet the subheadline refers to the "collaboration." Come on. The collaboration was between Lil Nas and MSCHF - not Nike.

And no, it is not a defense to trademark infringement/unfair competition that the shoes were genuine Nike shoes modified to create the "Satan Shoes."

i'm calling BS on the whole thing.
The whole thing? What do you mean? They definitely sold a bunch of the shoes. People are receiving notices that they shipped today, and hundreds are for sale on eBay. (It's quite common for shoes to be resold before they are received by the original purchaser - a close "relative" of mine buys and sells shoes quite a bit. )

Do they contain human blood? I doubt it.

Is Nike pissed? Absolutely.

Reactions: vesuvius13
When you are a no talent hack, you have to resort to this over the top promotion. See also: Madonna.

It’s a huge thing. Substantial market and margins to be made.
My son sold a pair of Dior x Jordan 1 High last summer. He paid $2,200 for them. Let's just say he turned a nice profit, even after his expenses for flying to Miami to get them.

It’s a huge thing. Substantial market and margins to be made.
I totally get that market. As a kid I really wanted the Air Jordan 4 and 5 versions, but my dad vetoed paying a ton for shoes I’d beat to hell and grow out of pretty quickly.

As a middle aged man, I still thought it’d be cool to have a pair and was fully prepared to pay in the $150 range for them. They’re plenty available, but in my size and verified new, they’re at least 3 times what that amount. Needless to say, I bought a more economical pair of shoes to wear around.

All that said, it’s still weird to me to buy satan shoes with blood in them.

I totally get that market. As a kid I really wanted the Air Jordan 4 and 5 versions, but my dad vetoed paying a ton for shoes I’d beat to hell and grow out of pretty quickly.

As a middle aged man, I still thought it’d be cool to have a pair and was fully prepared to pay in the $150 range for them. They’re plenty available, but in my size and verified new, they’re at least 3 times what that amount. Needless to say, I bought a more economical pair of shoes to wear around.

All that said, it’s still weird to me to buy satan shoes with blood in them.
The Satanic movement isn’t really what most curmudgeons think it is. It’s not literal devil worship. It’s a counter culture / counter authority movement.

The artist in question is a young black gay man who came out of the closet a year or so ago and received a lot of backlash from the hip hop community because that’s frowned upon. These shoes are his **** you to his haters.

Reactions: brianiu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT