ADVERTISEMENT

The top 10 college basketball arenas, according to Andy Katz

The only thing Purdue is top 10 in is having tall guys every year.

Mackey is barely top 10 in the conference.
Assembly Hall, Breslin, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska all better.

Reactions: Bippy
The only thing Purdue is top 10 in is having tall guys every year.

Mackey is barely top 10 in the conference.
Assembly Hall, Breslin, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska all better.
I think folks here are only commenting on aesthetics. I see too many objective folks who rave about the game day environment to think it's not awesome. Not the venue, but the crowd I would guess makes it the toughest place to play in the B10 at the moment.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I think folks here are only commenting on aesthetics. I see too many objective folks who rave about the game day environment to think it's not awesome. Not the venue, but the crowd I would guess makes it the toughest place to play in the B10 at the moment.
The toughest place to play is Assembly Hall, Bloomington, IN when the Hoosiers are good.

If the entire Big Ten was ranked simultaneously, IU would be the toughest place to play.

What Purdue has right now is "hope", which can be squashed with a few appropriate whoopings.

His selections make no sense: Mackey at #3? OK, it's based on the fans and environment and not aesthetics, but then you don't have Rupp, and have the Palestra? No Assembly Hall and no Hinkle? Clickbait.
Andy Katz picked arenas of the fan bases he ‘s targeted to make inroads. He already has IU so he sees no reason to brown nose us for the numbers game those guys always have to play.

His selections make no sense: Mackey at #3? OK, it's based on the fans and environment and not aesthetics, but then you don't have Rupp, and have the Palestra? No Assembly Hall and no Hinkle? Clickbait.
Make your own list .... it would as valid as any sportswriter.

TAH
Cameron
Palestra
Hinkle
DeanDome
Allen
WigWam
MSG

These seven (that I have seen games in are in no particular order) are my favorite.

TAH
Cameron
Palestra
Hinkle
DeanDome
Allen
WigWam
MSG

These seven (that I have seen games in are in no particular order) are my favorite.
Any arena with a balcony should be eliminated from consideration.

Cameron
Palestra
Hinkle
DeanDome
Allen
WigWam
MSG

Deandome? What in the heck did you find memorable about that? Don't see that on anyone's list. Are you a UNC fan? I don't even think they like it. What a shame that Carmichael sits mostly unused on campus (the women use it). They should play some of their holiday games there.

Last edited:
I bet the AH architect has never watched a game from the balcony. He should be hung in effigy from its railing.
The balcony consists of seats up high. All larger arenas have them. Actually CC is a very good place for a knowledgeable fan to watch a game

This is probably true for a number of arenas around the country, but for some reason I think its more true for Assembly Hall than most.

Assembly Hall is one of the best venues in the country, for big, highly anticipated games. I'd give the nod to a number of arenas on that list for a random non conference game in November, over Assembly Hall.

IU fans have largely shown up, despite a few stretches of mediocre play since the mid 90s. But when IU isn't elite, and we're playing a cupcake in November or December, its not a great atmosphere.

I would say Allen Field House, Cameron Indoor, Breslin, Bud Walton, Kohl, yes maybe even Mackey, are more consistent in their good atmospheres, than Assembly Hall is. But few of them can touch an electric, highly anticipated game in Assembly Hall.

Reactions: bsmitty08 and kkott
This is probably true for a number of arenas around the country, but for some reason I think its more true for Assembly Hall than most.

Assembly Hall is one of the best venues in the country, for big, highly anticipated games. I'd give the nod to a number of arenas on that list for a random non conference game in November, over Assembly Hall.

IU fans have largely shown up, despite a few stretches of mediocre play since the mid 90s. But when IU isn't elite, and we're playing a cupcake in November or December, its not a great atmosphere.

I would say Allen Field House, Cameron Indoor, Breslin, Bud Walton, Kohl, yes maybe even Mackey, are more consistent in their good atmospheres, than Assembly Hall is. But few of them can touch an electric, highly anticipated game in Assembly Hall.
I'd agree with what some others have said or implied, that AH would clearly be up there if we were good, but we've not been, which is why I think it wasn't included (although Katz has probably never had to sit in bad AH seats and it was probably just a clickbait thing). If we had a sustained run of good-great teams I definitely think AH would be on the list.

TAH is built with sound absorbing tiles and seats on the sides and ceiling which make it a better concert venue than most basketball arenas but also reduces the sound for a mid game.

The metal ceilings and domed metal ceilings in particular amplifly and reflect the sound.

Big differnce in resulting sound even for a smaller arena like Macky.

Agree 100% when IU is good and it’s a big game, Assembly is hard to beat. Lately though it hasn’t been that loud or that tough to play.
Mackey is in the list because of how loud it gets.

Reactions: kkott
TAH is built with sound absorbing tiles and seats on the sides and ceiling which make it a better concert venue than most basketball arenas but also reduces the sound for a mid game.

The metal ceilings and domed metal ceilings in particular amplifly and reflect the sound.

Big differnce in resulting sound even for a smaller arena like Macky.
Interesting, thanks — you know a lot about our facilities. I’ve always found AH to be pretty loud to very loud. Maybe the offset is the steep seating. It results in some bad views and probably isn’t up to modern code, but it makes for a great atmosphere.

Mackey is a good atmosphere — they do fundamentally like basketball. But that that place doesn’t reach the big games highs of AH.

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks — you know a lot about our facilities. I’ve always found AH to be pretty loud to very loud. Maybe the offset is the steep seating. It results in some bad views and probably isn’t up to modern code, but it makes for a great atmosphere.

Mackey is a good atmosphere — they do fundamentally like basketball. But that that place doesn’t reach the big games highs of AH.
One of the opposing coaches once described AH’s design as making you fill like you’re in a giant vise that squeezes in on you. It’s a very interesting building that has its (+)’s and (-)’s like any other structure. This unique design makes it easily recognizable to all basketball enthusiasts. I’ve been going there for 53 years and still enjoy going my visits.

Reactions: ulrey and kkott
One of the opposing coaches once described AH’s design as making you fill like you’re in a giant vise that squeezes in on you. It’s a very interesting building that has its (+)’s and (-)’s like any other structure. This unique design makes it easily recognizable to all basketball enthusiasts. I’ve been going there for 53 years and still enjoy going my visits.
visually it is one of the most appealing designs, but I'd agree there are way too many bad seats. If we were to climb back up to elite, I think a new arena that tries to maintain the special aspects of AH (vertical feel, banners at one end, etc...) but provide better overall seating views should be a priority.

Fred’s AH renovation will keep AH around for another 20+ years. I think he made the right move. The place has a lot of character and aura despite it’s faults. And a new arena would have stressed our finances — look at Washington who blew too much $ on their stadium and they’re broke.

The new place won’t be same. Personally I would like a fieldhouse design — we’ve had two historically so let’s make it three. Big lower seating bowl and not a bunch of tiers like Gainbridge. Would be good. That will be a weird day when AH gets demolished.

Reactions: ulrey and kkott
Fred’s AH renovation will keep AH around for another 20+ years. I think he made the right move. The place has a lot of character and aura despite it’s faults. And a new arena would have stressed our finances — look at Washington who blew too much $ on their stadium and they’re broke.

The new place won’t be same. Personally I would like a fieldhouse design — we’ve had two historically so let’s make it three. Big lower seating bowl and not a bunch of tiers like Gainbridge. Would be good. That will be a weird day when AH gets demolished.
Anxious to see what the new Clippers arena looks like. It has some unique elements to it versus typical new arena designs. If we did build a new arena, I'd hate to see a cookie cutter design like what most modern "Field Houses" are.

Our high school is building a new gym, which most are very excited for (I am overall as well!). But I'm a little bummed at the design though...very sterile, very wide open. Lots of schools taking this approach with new gym design in the last 10 years. Easy for me to say, but I just think they could have taken a little bit of extra time and designed more character in to the project.

I would hope when IU finally does it, they do take the time and design character, atmosphere, etc... into the overall plans.

Anxious to see what the new Clippers arena looks like. It has some unique elements to it versus typical new arena designs. If we did build a new arena, I'd hate to see a cookie cutter design like what most modern "Field Houses" are.

Our high school is building a new gym, which most are very excited for (I am overall as well!). But I'm a little bummed at the design though...very sterile, very wide open. Lots of schools taking this approach with new gym design in the last 10 years. Easy for me to say, but I just think they could have taken a little bit of extra time and designed more character in to the project.

I would hope when IU finally does it, they do take the time and design character, atmosphere, etc... into the overall plans.
Any new design needs to incorporate as many of AH's aesthetic appeals as possible: vertical feel/layout, limestone features, banners at one end, etc... I think a good architect could do that with no problem. Might also be cool to try and maintain/match AH's seating capacity, which I think is a great size.

That Clippers arena will be interesting. I know you’ve seen that steep fan section behind the hoop, sort of a Euro football Kop. Question I have is if NBA fans will go for that. NBA fans, especially Clippers fans, are tame. They arrive late and sit there with beer/food as the arena blasts music all game. Are these people really going to create a lively fan section? Doubt it.

Idk where you are but it’s been painful to see a lot of old Indiana HS gyms get replaced by the same designs. The new designs are functional and cost effective but no soul. HS’s don’t have the $ or incentive to get creative. Is what it is.

That Clippers arena will be interesting. I know you’ve seen that steep fan section behind the hoop, sort of a Euro football Kop. Question I have is if NBA fans will go for that. NBA fans, especially Clippers fans, are tame. They arrive late and sit there with beer/food as the arena blasts music all game. Are these people really going to create a lively fan section? Doubt it.

Idk where you are but it’s been painful to see a lot of old Indiana HS gyms get replaced by the same designs. The new designs are functional and cost effective but no soul. HS’s don’t have the $ or incentive to get creative. Is what it is.
I know they don't...so I know its me barking in to the wind. And the positives of the project far out weigh the potential negative of having a wide open, blah atmosphere, new gym. But I keep wondering...how much more money would it have been, really?

I think Noblesville/Warsaw's layout is unique enough, that could be scaled down to a smaller gym, and provide a much better atmosphere for a 4K ish seat venue. The new Homestead and Carroll gym designs are what most schools are opting for (including ours). Wider footprint all the way around, seats on all four sides, with smaller sections of bleachers, overall building isn't nearly as tall, etc... Homestead's capacity is only 2500 seats, and those seats are in a wide open field house. No matter how good they get, that gym will never be loud or really any sort of intimidating place to play. Ours isn't done yet, so I hope ours is a little more intimate than those FW schools gyms I mentioned.

That same spirit and direction I'd worry about with a new arena for IU as well. I'm sure the benefits of a more modern design would help with concerts and other events, but I'd hate to see a "Kohl Center" type design.

Yeah...the "Wall" is part of what I was referring to. Also some of the concourse ideas, and the luxury boxes aren't just normal cookie cutter arena designs.

Depending on stage placements, that "wall" feature could provide some interesting possibilities for concerts too.

The tier thing is just a money making scheme, the lower the tier seating the higher
the ticket price.

Yeah...the "Wall" is part of what I was referring to. Also some of the concourse ideas, and the luxury boxes aren't just normal cookie cutter arena designs.

Depending on stage placements, that "wall" feature could provide some interesting possibilities for concerts too.
While I’m skeptical, credit to Ballmer for thinking outside the box. Will be interesting to see what works.

Any new design needs to incorporate as many of AH's aesthetic appeals as possible: vertical feel/layout, limestone features, banners at one end, etc... I think a good architect could do that with no problem. Might also be cool to try and maintain/match AH's seating capacity, which I think is a great size.
Yea. An odd thing to consider is what do live sports look like in 25-30 years? Maybe more people are watching via VR and bars like the ones now that have screens like a mini-IMAX that makes it feel like you’re at the game. These viewing methods may provide incredible immersion that reduces demand for going in person. Maybe we build something smaller like what Baylor did (though their reason is small fanbase). I hope not, but who knows how things change that far on the future.

visually it is one of the most appealing designs, but I'd agree there are way too many bad seats. If we were to climb back up to elite, I think a new arena that tries to maintain the special aspects of AH (vertical feel, banners at one end, etc...) but provide better overall seating views should be a priority.
“Those days of thinking about a new arena have come and gone, at least for the remainder of this century.” ~ Cindy Simon-Skjodt, $40,000,000.00 poorer

The toughest place to play is Assembly Hall, Bloomington, IN when the Hoosiers are good.
A lot of people waiting for this!
If the entire Big Ten was ranked simultaneously, IU would be the toughest place to play.
This is will never happen!
What Purdue has right now is "hope", which can be squashed with a few appropriate whoopings.
Purdue is 145-16 at home the last 10 years winning at 90% clip! IU is 136-41, playing 16 more home games than Purdue but only winning at 77% clip. Purdue is also 3rd or 4th in the country in consecutive sellouts, (IU sorry no), up there with Kansas and Duke! So you say Purdue is just "HOPE"! With your above statements you sound like IU is the best candidate for hope! Maybe you should rethink what you typed, because you sound like a "DOPE"!

Purdue is 145-16 at home the last 10 years winning at 90% clip! IU is 136-41, playing 16 more home games than Purdue but only winning at 77% clip. Purdue is also 3rd or 4th in the country in consecutive sellouts, (IU sorry no), up there with Kansas and Duke! So you say Purdue is just "HOPE"! With your above statements you sound like IU is the best candidate for hope! Maybe you should rethink what you typed, because you sound like a "DOPE"!
A swing at being clever, and a miss.

Points for rhyming. However....

the last 10 years are arbitrary and intent on skewing the data. 11 and 12 years ago Purdue had a losing record and you chose to cut it off there.

Indiana has more fans at home than Purdue every single year. Every game, every year. You can sell out a 12 person conference room and try to convince us that Mackey has any kind of aura at all. They've only cracked the top 10 in the nation twice in the past 40 years and that's because they had a 7'4" aberration on the court.

11th in capacity in the Big TEN. How funny is that?

Reactions: Courtsensetwo

Yes, you all have reaped the benefits of having a 2 time NPOY and a good team, and look what it's gotten you: your first real NC... oops, sorry, no. Hey, have you started back up any sort of midnight madness; you know, after your fans weren't supportive enough in the down years of Keady/Paint? If so, at least you have something tangible to show for that stretch!

Points for rhyming. However....

the last 10 years are arbitrary and intent on skewing the data. 11 and 12 years ago Purdue had a losing record and you chose to cut it off there.
IU is underwater in the Big Ten this CENTURY! Sub 500! 24 years with the middle of the pack in the record in the BT! Is that BETTER?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT