ADVERTISEMENT

The sinking of a super carrier

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
Here is a documentary of sinking the Japanese super carrier Shinano, the largest ship then afloat.

In the mid fifties, when I was in Jr High, memoirs WW II vets were all over the paper back book world. I devoured them. My favorites were stories about the submarine war in the pacific. I read about the Shinano in a few different books and this documentary I just ran across is almost exactly as I remember it.

Enjoy

Thanks--excellent interesting post.
I'm a ww2 sub guy too. Read "The Hunters and the Hunted" when I was in grade school 1958 Gary public library. German sub diaries fascinating reading. Just found a copy of the book about 2 years ago-- cost me 200 bucks for a hardcover copy but it was worth every penny.
Ever seen U505 at Science and Industry Museum in Chicago?
Those old subs were small!

Thanks--excellent interesting post.
I'm a ww2 sub guy too. Read "The Hunters and the Hunted" when I was in grade school 1958 Gary public library. German sub diaries fascinating reading. Just found a copy of the book about 2 years ago-- cost me 200 bucks for a hardcover copy but it was worth every penny.
Ever seen U505 at Science and Industry Museum in Chicago?
Those old subs were small!
I’ve seen the U505 a few times. I also have the DVD. The redo of the exhibit was a great improvement. Also toured a 60’s era Soviet Sub and an American WWII sub. The Americans provide the most creature comfort, but still not many.

Did you ever read Iron Coffins? An excellent portrayal of life on a U-boat. Miserable conditions would be a generous description. The war ended with the Germans having a new U- boat equipped with a snorkel, hydraulic torpedo loading, and much more submerged Speed.

Iron Coffins: A Personal Account Of The German U-boat Battles Of World War II https://a.co/d/8ekPQLv

I spent time in the Gary Public Library too in the 50’s and early 69’s. Where did you go to school?

Would love to see a Band of Brothers/Masters of the Air type miniseries on WWII carriers. Masters of the Air is a masterpiece. For anyone else liking it, the podcast We Have Ways of Making You Talk just finished a 6-episode piece on the Mighty 8th. Great podcast

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I’ve seen the U505 a few times. I also have the DVD. The redo of the exhibit was a great improvement. Also toured a 60’s era Soviet Sub and an American WWII sub. The Americans provide the most creature comfort, but still not many.

Did you ever read Iron Coffins? An excellent portrayal of life on a U-boat. Miserable conditions would be a generous description. The war ended with the Germans having a new U- boat equipped with a snorkel, hydraulic torpedo loading, and much more submerged Speed.

Iron Coffins: A Personal Account Of The German U-boat Battles Of World War II https://a.co/d/8ekPQLv

I spent time in the Gary Public Library too in the 50’s and early 69’s. Where did you go to school?
Thanks for the referral on the book. I'll order it today.
At the Yorktown exhibit in Charleston I went thru the American sub. That thing is massive compared to the 505.
Glen Park Library- - Holy Family & Franklin schools.

Thanks for the referral on the book. I'll order it today.
At the Yorktown exhibit in Charleston I went thru the American sub. That thing is massive compared to the 505.
Glen Park Library- - Holy Family & Franklin schools.
That book was a referral from @Rockfish1. Back in the time when the board was more interesting and we were all friends.

Reactions: Mgdriver
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT