ADVERTISEMENT

The red shirting prospects of Jerome Hunter

BusdriverE

Junior
Dec 16, 2018
I know that the usual way is for a player to play a handful of games, gets injured and then declares for a red shirt year. But what of the opposite is true where he is hurt at beginning of year, recovers and is able to contribute at end of year, say Big Ten tourney time? Only play handful of games and still redshirts? Not sure of rules regarding when he has to declare.....just some rambling thoughts waiting for the next game

I know that the usual way is for a player to play a handful of games, gets injured and then declares for a red shirt year. But what of the opposite is true where he is hurt at beginning of year, recovers and is able to contribute at end of year, say Big Ten tourney time? Only play handful of games and still redshirts? Not sure of rules regarding when he has to declare.....just some rambling thoughts waiting for the next game
I posed the same question a few years ago about a player whose name escapes me. The answer I got then was no and I assume that that is the answer today.

This would technically fall under a Medical Redshirt and he wouldn’t have a claim under your scenario.

Medical Hardship Exemption

1. The NCAA allows a seriously injured athlete to extend her eligibility period through a medical hardship exemption, commonly referred to by media outlets as a "medical redshirt," though the NCAA does not use this terminology.

An athlete can qualify for this exemption if he has a documented, incapacitating injury or illness that occurred in the first half of the basketball season and the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of his team's scheduled contests, whichever number is greater.

Well there you go. Like I said just a rambling question Hopefully he recovers well enough to practice against our starters and give them a some good competition in practice a la Josh Newkirk a couple of years ago

I can see no reason to even try and play him this yr . You can't drop a freshman that hasnt played a minute yet into the Big Ten part way through and expect anything. If it were his Sr yr and he came back well enough to play yes but all it would do is screw up rotations unless several others go out with injuries

Highly ..Super highly unlikely he play's this year..
Big bummer. .
Just a notch below Romeo in abilities.
He wouldn't avge like 15..
But 8 -10 would have been possible.
His game is a lot like Keion's.But Brooks has more length. .jmo

To get an injury redshirt you can only play in 30% of the games but I don' think you would get it if Hunter cam back to play the last few of the games.

This would technically fall under a Medical Redshirt and he wouldn’t have a claim under your scenario.

Medical Hardship Exemption

1. The NCAA allows a seriously injured athlete to extend her eligibility period through a medical hardship exemption, commonly referred to by media outlets as a "medical redshirt," though the NCAA does not use this terminology.

An athlete can qualify for this exemption if he has a documented, incapacitating injury or illness that occurred in the first half of the basketball season and the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of his team's scheduled contests, whichever number is greater.

When it says first half of the season do you know if it means starting at the first practice or the first exhibition/actual game or even just fall semester? Because if Jerome's injury occurred before the first exhibition game would he even meet that qualification regardless?

When it says first half of the season do you know if it means starting at the first practice or the first exhibition/actual game or even just fall semester? Because if Jerome's injury occurred before the first exhibition game would he even meet that qualification regardless?

I don't get what you are asking. He has an injury or illness that occurred before he participated "in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of his team's scheduled contests, whichever number is greater."

So, unless there is more to the rule, he would be eligible.

Reactions: minneman
He's eligible for a normal RS. As such, I imagine he would have to RS this season then have another injury shortened season to use a medical RS.

To qualify for the medical RS you have to be injured early in the season and miss the rest. If the player comes back and plays at the end of the season they will not get a medical RS.

Reactions: coachv jr
Honestly I see no point in even thinking either of them will or even should come back this yr. Nothing against them at all and I hope they have good careers . We aren't talking about Mike Woodson as a Sr coming back and being MVP in 6 games in the big 10. They aren't Mike Woodson , whatever positives they might have at this point having never played a Big 10 game or even with the team . To even try and play them would do a disservice to the rest of the team

Honestly I see no point in even thinking either of them will or even should come back this yr. Nothing against them at all and I hope they have good careers . We aren't talking about Mike Woodson as a Sr coming back and being MVP in 6 games in the big 10. They aren't Mike Woodson , whatever positives they might have at this point having never played a Big 10 game or even with the team . To even try and play them would do a disservice to the rest of the team

Didn't Race redshirt last year? I was under the impression he did, can't see that happening again. Unless, he gets a special 6 year waiver or whatever it's called. Appears to be a wasted year for him. That is really bad luck!

Coopster

Didn't Race redshirt last year? I was under the impression he did, can't see that happening again. Unless, he gets a special 6 year waiver or whatever it's called. Appears to be a wasted year for him. That is really bad luck!

Coopster
He did. He would be eligible for a medical RS

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT