ADVERTISEMENT

The real hostages--why aren't we talking about them?

We still have American citizens as hostages in Gaza, taken by Hamas. This doesn't seem like it's covered often in the news. Why?

And 32 Americans were killed in Israel on October 7.

As far as I know, nobody has said their names. Nor do we know the names of the American hostages.

The White House policy is to end the conflict by mobilizing world opinion to force Israel to stop and to gin up sympathy for Gazans. The purpose of the media is to support the Biden administration. Reporting about American deaths, casualties, and hostages at the hands of Hamas is inconsistent with policy.

We still have American citizens as hostages in Gaza, taken by Hamas. This doesn't seem like it's covered often in the news. Why?

A quick Google of "US hostages Hamas" shows stories about them in the media, AP had a story 1 day ago according to Google as did NBC.

We Americans lose interest without a celebrity involved, compare the coverage of Paul Whalen to Greiner.

A quick Google of "US hostages Hamas" shows stories about them in the media, AP had a story 1 day ago according to Google as did NBC.

We Americans lose interest without a celebrity involved, compare the coverage of Paul Whalen to Greiner.
I have no empirical data here. Just a feeling.

Do you think these hostages are getting anywhere near the attention that Iranian ones did? I was young at the time, but it seems like that was in the consciousness a lot more than the Gazan hostages.

Take this board, for example: how many posts concern the hostages? Or the U.S. response to the taking of them?

True dat. Celebrity status affects how the President and government leadership responds which directly increases news coverage. The more politicians have to gain the more they are involved.

I have no empirical data here. Just a feeling.

Do you think these hostages are getting anywhere near the attention that Iranian ones did? I was young at the time, but it seems like that was in the consciousness a lot more than the Gazan hostages.

Take this board, for example: how many posts concern the hostages? Or the U.S. response to the taking of them?
No they aren’t. The condemnation of Iran and the Mullahs in those days was very strong. I remember “Nuke Iran” sentiment on the CSU campus. Back in those days we didn’t have the internet with foreign and domestic interest groups ginning up political support for Iran. Also, there was no handy third party boogeyman like Israel waging its own war.

@Bowlmania should respond to your question.

Reactions: 76-1
No they aren’t. The condemnation of Iran and the Mullahs in those days was very strong. I remember “Nuke Iran” sentiment on the CSU campus. Back in those days we didn’t have the internet with foreign and domestic interest groups ginning up political support for Iran. Also, there was no handy third party boogeyman like Israel waging its own war.

@Bowlmania should respond to your question.
The Iranian hostage crisis was covered every night on the evening news shows of ABC, CBS and NBC. They closed with something like “that’s the news for [MONTH DAY], the XXX day of captivity of Americans in Iran.” It was a huge thing. It was a big factor in Carter losing the Presidency in 1980.

Last edited:
The Iranian hostage crisis was covered every night on the evening news shows of ABC, CBS and NBC. They closed with something like “that’s the news for [MONTH DAY], the XXX day of captivity of Americans in Iran.” It was a huge thing. It was a big factor in Carter losing the Presidency in 1980.
Right. Ted Koppel started his evening ABC news show with that.

This is an American citizen:

A U.S. official confirmed to CBS News on Wednesday that there are five U.S. nationals still unaccounted for and presumed to be living hostages in Gaza, including Goldberg-Polin. Three other Americans who were in Israel when Hamas launched its Oct. 7 attack — Itay Chen, Judith Weinstein and Gad Haggai — are presumed dead, but their bodies have not yet been recovered.

I read about them often, but my algorithms show lots of news from Israel. Especially this week with Passover, I’ve seen quite a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT