ADVERTISEMENT

The Music Thread

Well it's Fathers Day, and I know when it comes to pertinent music, people have tunes that come to mind. I've loved Father and Son since I first ordered Tea for the Tillerman in one of my 12 album introductory packages when I joined Columbia Record Club back in high school.I personally feel it's CS's best album, just quality songs from beginning to end...

And there are others as well. But for my money when you're discussing the dynamics of Father/son relationships nobody is more prolific than Springsteen. Bruce recounts the story of speaking with his father in his dying days, and asking his Dad which of his (Bruce's) songs he liked best. His Dad said "the ones about me"...Kind of says it all...

Here are three of my favorites...

The perfect Fathers Day song...

I was so glad that my last (likely) Bruce show was the 2016 Auburn Hills River tour. Playing the River album start to finish meant I got to hear Independence Day live for only the 2nd time ever, since I heard it in the Yum a few months earler...

But this solo piano version from Paris in a 4th of July show in 2012 is still my favorite live version

Finally this blistering version of Adam from the live Darkness sessions at the (empty) Paramount in 2009.

Since most of us are IU fans, safe to say most of us have been to Assembly Hall. My first visit wasn't a basketball game, but rather the first of many concerts I saw there over the years. I was a junior in high school, Stephen Sills was my RockNRoll hero, and I played the shit out of this album when it was released in 1972...

All 4 sides are awesome, but The Wilderness (side 2) has always been sort of my favorite. I had this romanticized vision of going out to Colorado and living the life in the Rockies that he wrote about pointedly on that side of the album...

Unfortunately when some buddies and I made a trip out there while I was at IU, reality came crashing down and shattered expectations. It was July and our plan was to camp out a couple of nights with just our sleeping bags.

But it was so cold that first night that we knew we couldn't go thru that again, so we went to a motel in Boulder. I kind of discovered that Colorado had incredible scenery and was a wonderful place to visit, but I no longer had any desire to actually live there...Or sleep outside, for that matter...

LOTB is a great song, but personally I prefer the early DF albums such as Souvenirs and Captured Angel to his later Top 40 hits. My roomate freshman year at IU had an 8 track, and it would cycle thru stuff as diverse as James Gang, Rod Faces, J Geils and Dan Fogelberg...

Speaking of Mr Walsh, he plays some tasty guitar licks on this song

Reactions: T.M.P.
Since most of us are IU fans, safe to say most of us have been to Assembly Hall. My first visit wasn't a basketball game, but rather the first of many concerts I saw there over the years. I was a junior in high school, Stephen Sills was my RockNRoll hero, and I played the shit out of this album when it was released in 1972...

All 4 sides are awesome, but The Wilderness (side 2) has always been sort of my favorite. I had this romanticized vision of going out to Colorado and living the life in the Rockies that he wrote about pointedly on that side of the album...

Unfortunately when some buddies and I made a trip out there while I was at IU, reality came crashing down and shattered expectations. It was July and our plan was to camp out a couple of nights with just our sleeping bags.

But it was so cold that first night that we knew we couldn't go thru that again, so we went to a motel in Boulder. I kind of discovered that Colorado had incredible scenery and was a wonderful place to visit, but I no longer had any desire to actually live there...Or sleep outside, for that matter...

My only concert at Assembly was on a Halloween night - The Grateful Dead. I was with one guy (Bill) who claimed to be at our college after he robbed a bank by making a briefcase that he could make pop open by sending a radio signal, with instructions to load it up with money and leave it by the trash can on the corner “or else.” The judge (allegedly, if you believe his story) said “out of state college or jail”. Also with a guy (Pete) who became a Franciscan monk. The third guy I can’t remember his name, for reasons presumably related to late 1970’s concerts, but he was a shitty driver.

My first trip to Colorado was awesome. My law firm sent me to a trial seminar where I learned more in two weeks than I did in three years of law school. They put me up in a 5-star hotel for two weeks. The Miami Dolphins showed up the last weekend. Then my wife flew out and we went up to Rocky Mountain national Park. We stayed in a joint in Estes Park that was owned by people from Lexington Kentucky. It was July. No ski crowd. They gave us a room as big as a barn loft right on the bank of a rushing Rocky Mountain Stream, all of it under hundred foot tall pine trees.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT