ADVERTISEMENT

The Music Thread

Okay @cosmickid ... Theme: Songs for and or about Soldiers/Military and those who served or died. No war protest songs this isn't the holiday for that. This is a tough one.. especially without the protest element, probably not many out there...

I'll start ..

Steve Earle.

Dire Straights.. a bit protesty..

and of course this ... a father's hope for the return of his son from war.

Okay @cosmickid ... Theme: Songs for and or about Soldiers/Military and those who served or died. No war protest songs this isn't the holiday for that. This is a tough one.. especially without the protest element, probably not many out there...

I'll start ..

Steve Earle.

Dire Straights.. a bit protesty..

and of course this ... a father's hope for the return of his son from war.
Good choices. Just now saw your post...I've got a bunch from Springsteen, some kinda rare...Bruce is a master at writing about the human cost of war

Some more, mainly about the Middle East,except for The Wall...

The Pueblo Incident (the youngins may not be aware...

Covered repeatedly. Imho, the best version...

Hollywood supports the War effort...

From 1955, the year I was born The Long Gray Line. John Ford's tribute biopic of Marty Maher.the Irish Immigrant who became a fixture at West Point for over 50 yrs. It's a tearjerker as Marty first comes to the Point in 1898, which means he knew all the West Point casualties of WW1 and 2...

While i don’t really care for the GD (ducks and runs), I so appreciate his adulation for that band, and the counter culture mindset that came with it. I really do wish I liked the jam band thing more than i do now. He was an amazing ambassador for that culture, and I think we need a lot more of the Bill Waltons and GDs in the world. Full stop.

Reactions: MyTeamIsOnTheFloor
While i don’t really care for the GD (ducks and runs), I so appreciate his adulation for that band, and the counter culture mindset that came with it. I really do wish I liked the jam band thing more than i do now. He was an amazing ambassador for that culture, and I think we need a lot more of the Bill Waltons and GDs in the world. Full stop.

I like Jerry's stuff away from GD far more. The stuff he did with Grisham first and foremost. Old and in the Way. JGB. JGAB. Hell New Riders where he was only playing lap steel .. also like GD acoustic sets... it tones them down into the ... normal.

When most think of him they think Dead Jam Band .. he's a musical history encyclopedia and very eclectic.

I think this ...

or this ...

or even this .. which I'm not sure he even plays on (90%) but he basically formed this band.

Now as far as live concert experience..... there's nothing better. From the campground, to the parking lot, to the show, back to the parking lot, back to the campground ... end 3 day set ,,, drive... arrive 5 day set ... rinse and repeat .... Even getting a bit of sleep here and there ...Too much fun.

That whole time you were surrounded by music...... and free range titties.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
I recently saw a quote - forgot who they were quoting - maybe Elton John - but the quote was "Drummers should never sing, unless their name is Levon Helm."

I assume it was also a shot at Henley, but I think he sings pretty damn good too.
I'm not sure Eagles would be Eagles and have any distinguishing characteristics without Henley's vocals.

Well it's Fathers Day, and I know when it comes to pertinent music, people have tunes that come to mind. I've loved Father and Son since I first ordered Tea for the Tillerman in one of my 12 album introductory packages when I joined Columbia Record Club back in high school.I personally feel it's CS's best album, just quality songs from beginning to end...

And there are others as well. But for my money when you're discussing the dynamics of Father/son relationships nobody is more prolific than Springsteen. Bruce recounts the story of speaking with his father in his dying days, and asking his Dad which of his (Bruce's) songs he liked best. His Dad said "the ones about me"...Kind of says it all...

Here are three of my favorites...

The perfect Fathers Day song...

I was so glad that my last (likely) Bruce show was the 2016 Auburn Hills River tour. Playing the River album start to finish meant I got to hear Independence Day live for only the 2nd time ever, since I heard it in the Yum a few months earler...

But this solo piano version from Paris in a 4th of July show in 2012 is still my favorite live version

Finally this blistering version of Adam from the live Darkness sessions at the (empty) Paramount in 2009.

In memory of my father who died 5-8-20. We were with him and he fought to a few minutes after midnight and made it to my son’s birthday. A kind smart man.

Reactions: MyTeamIsOnTheFloor
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT