ADVERTISEMENT

The Marlins fiasco has to affect all sports

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Apparently four more players tested positive today bringing the total up to 17. I also learned this morning that every team has a 30-person a taxi Squad. But I also learned that multiple players tested positive before their game against the Phillies and that included the starting pitcher for the Marlins who pitched with the virus wallenstein knew about it. I don't know how Derek Jeter keeps his job.

The rhetorical question related to college football is how do you control 100 college kids when a professional team with 30 athletes can't get through the first week of the season when the coaching staff and players are knowingly violating the rules about covid-19.

Apparently four more players tested positive today bringing the total up to 17. I also learned this morning that every team has a 30-person a taxi Squad. But I also learned that multiple players tested positive before their game against the Phillies and that included the starting pitcher for the Marlins who pitched with the virus wallenstein knew about it. I don't know how Derek Jeter keeps his job.

The rhetorical question related to college football is how do you control 100 college kids when a professional team with 30 athletes can't get through the first week of the season when the coaching staff and players are knowingly violating the rules about covid-19.
Jeter's an owner. I think Mattingly may have the bigger problem.

Chances of a Fall college football season are looking increasingly slim.

I

I agree. If can't play baseball, I don't see how they can play football...either college or NFL.

I

I agree. If can't play baseball, I don't see how they can play football...either college or NFL.
Yeah, if teams aren't in a bubble, the challenges seem too great. And even a bubble can be problematic if there's a breach. Lou Williams of the Clippers was given permission to escape the NBA's Orlando bubble to attend a funeral in Atlanta, and look what happened. He was so overwhelmed by grief that he reportedly visited a strip club.

If the quarantine an entire team if one kid gets it then this season will be in shambles. No way games can happen.

Apparently the Washington players took a vote and said they didn't want to go down to Miami for a weekend series and now the Marlins games are canceled through Sunday. The Washington players vote was not binding.
I also saw an interview with someone who said that the Marlins are not going to want to call up some of the players on their taxi squads because it will start the clock on their arbitration agreements. I don't know what that means but apparently they might be looking else where to find players to fill roster spots.
And then you've got Notre Dame canceling a Trump Biden debate because it would be too dangerous. How do you play football if you can't host a debate?

Yeah, if teams aren't in a bubble, the challenges seem too great. And even a bubble can be problematic if there's a breach. Lou Williams of the Clippers was given permission to escape the NBA's Orlando bubble to attend a funeral in Atlanta, and look what happened. He was so overwhelmed by grief that he reportedly visited a strip club.

Just read the article. Apparently he went there for the chicken wings which are named after him on the menu.

Just need to shelve all sports for a couple years to get the numbers down and then possibly think about resuming normalcy because this thing will be going on for a long, long time it will just continue to mutate. In other words: normal ain’t returning anytime soon. It was always going to a matter of “when” and not “if.”

Reactions: red hornet
Just need to shelve all sports for a couple years to get the numbers down and then possibly think about resuming normalcy because this thing will be going on for a long, long time it will just continue to mutate. In other words: normal ain’t returning anytime soon. It was always going to a matter of “when” and not “if.”

Pure negative speculation.

The largest trial (IIRC, the largest in history) started yesterday for a vaccine. 30,000 volunteers. And it isn't the only vaccine to be at that point. It looks promising. Since the feds are fast tracking this, it is a very real possibility that there is a vaccine readily available by the end of the year.

I heard a epidemiologist from Columbia on the radio the other day. She said that the vaccine show promise and the results so far look very good but the trials would determine effectiveness. She also said that there was a very real possibility of having more than one available.

SARS1 ran it's course in about an 18 month timeframe, so it only stands to reason that SARS2 will do the same things. Two years at the minimum seems about right. I fully expect MLB to shut it down soon. The Marlins aren't the only team with sick players. The Reds also have some, though it's not as publicized as the Marlins.

Apparently the Washington players took a vote and said they didn't want to go down to Miami for a weekend series and now the Marlins games are canceled through Sunday. The Washington players vote was not binding.
I also saw an interview with someone who said that the Marlins are not going to want to call up some of the players on their taxi squads because it will start the clock on their arbitration agreements. I don't know what that means but apparently they might be looking else where to find players to fill roster spots.
And then you've got Notre Dame canceling a Trump Biden debate because it would be too dangerous. How do you play football if you can't host a debate?
Yep, what does it take to hold a debate.
2 debaters
1 moderator and
production crew
Do it outdoors.
If that is too dangerous then we are all in a whole lot of trouble.

SARS1 ran it's course in about an 18 month timeframe, so it only stands to reason that SARS2 will do the same things. Two years at the minimum seems about right. I fully expect MLB to shut it down soon. The Marlins aren't the only team with sick players. The Reds also have some, though it's not as publicized as the Marlins.
It's not a matter of preventing sickness, but how you handle it and keep others from getting it. If anything, the Marlin's outbreak should help the NCAA and NFL to come back. Can't shut life down because of positive cases.

Reactions: Bligedy

This was baseball's Fred Hoiberg moment.

Reactions: Chriselli
Pure negative speculation.

The largest trial (IIRC, the largest in history) started yesterday for a vaccine. 30,000 volunteers. And it isn't the only vaccine to be at that point. It looks promising. Since the feds are fast tracking this, it is a very real possibility that there is a vaccine readily available by the end of the year.

I heard a epidemiologist from Columbia on the radio the other day. She said that the vaccine show promise and the results so far look very good but the trials would determine effectiveness. She also said that there was a very real possibility of having more than one available.

Those vaccines are being fast tracked. True. However, the FDA still has strict regulations against just dumping anything on the public without rigorous tests and evaluations for side effects.
Russia says it will have something ready by August but nobody knows at all the effectiveness or if it could produce 2-headed babies in pregnant women. Even with the urgency involved, you’re talking 12 months vs the average drug approval of the FDA which is.....12 years and 1 billion in development costs.

If the numbers don’t come down, football and basketball will be in empty venues or altogether cancelled for a cycle.

Those vaccines are being fast tracked. True. However, the FDA still has strict regulations against just dumping anything on the public without rigorous tests and evaluations for side effects.
Russia says it will have something ready by August but nobody knows at all the effectiveness or if it could produce 2-headed babies in pregnant women. Even with the urgency involved, you’re talking 12 months vs the average drug approval of the FDA which is.....12 years and 1 billion in development costs.

If the numbers don’t come down, football and basketball will be in empty venues or altogether cancelled for a cycle.

The 12 months is not what they were talking about on the radio. They were talking about the end of this year.

the season not happening was possibly guaranteed, when the conditions for it happening were announced.

i personally think the country is approaching the whole covid thing wrong, but i've covered that previously.

that said, since the county's entire covid strategy is "hope for a miracle", we just need to hope that miracle comes quick, and in the form of a safe effective treatment.

Reactions: BigMobe
I don’t know how much I would base anything on how the Marlins do anything. They are one of the most inept franchises around. Won two World Series with relatively young guys only to have fire sales the following season. This new ownership crew is even more inept. Very frustrating going to watch them might be a good thing for them nobody was going to watch them anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT