ADVERTISEMENT

The Flop Rule

Jan 14, 2021
Here's what concerns me about the flop rule: It's open to interpretation, and couldn't a player just as easily trip as he could flop? Shouldn't the "penalty" simply be a "play on"? With the "flopper" on the ground, there's an obvious immediate advantage for the other team. Also, I may have just broke the record for number of "quotes" in a single post without "quoting" anyone!

Is the premise that it isn’t a basketball play or is it more about the injury risks with a guy unnecessarily on the floor? Honestly don’t know.

I don’t really like it. Other than I hate flopping. So if the end result is players stop flopping, I’ll deal with the rule.

Here's what concerns me about the flop rule: It's open to interpretation, and couldn't a player just as easily trip as he could flop? Shouldn't the "penalty" simply be a "play on"? With the "flopper" on the ground, there's an obvious immediate advantage for the other team. Also, I may have just broke the record for number of "quotes" in a single post without "quoting" anyone!
there should be a flagrant flop and a flagrant flop 1 and 2, every time someone falls to the ground the officials should go to the monitor to get the call correct

there should be a flagrant flop and a flagrant flop 1 and 2, every time someone falls to the ground the officials should go to the monitor to get the call correct

Sure, lets just make the game unbearable to watch...

judge-judy-face-palm.gif
'

Just what we need, creating more opportunities for the zebras to go over and grab the monitor. I say don’t call anything. If it’s a charge, call charge. If it’s not, play on. The defender’s laying on the ground now, advantage offense. Eventually the drama queens will stop.

It's always a play on. Refs don't call a flop warning until the whistle is blown dead or there is a change of possession. If you flop whilst trying to take a charge and they don't call it, the warning wouldn't be issued until the team possessing loses possession or a dead ball occurs.

Reactions: largemouth
Sure, lets just make the game unbearable to watch...
Just what we need, creating more opportunities for the zebras to go over and grab the monitor. I say don’t call anything. If it’s a charge, call charge. If it’s not, play on. The defender’s laying on the ground now, advantage offense. Eventually the drama queens will stop.
His past transgressions notwithstanding, think he was being facetious.

The floppers do other things too, though, other than just fall or stumble, We've all seen basketball floppers whiplash their heads like soccer players trying to draw a red card or throwing their arms up in the air like they're praying to St. Francis of Assizi at a funeral.
back-and-to-the-left-back-and-to-the-left-2710894.png

I would consider suspending a head coach for repeated violations, because there can be no doubt that coaches are teaching players to "sell" (i.e. fake) the foul.

Just a penalty for bad drama. Should apply it to the media coverage as well. 🍏
No, it's worse than bad drama, because the other rules require refs to review video to see whether to call a faked head contact as a flagrant foul or not.

I don't need this extra time from review of fakes to get another beer from the fridge.

No, it's worse than bad drama, because the other rules require refs to review video to see whether to call a faked head contact as a flagrant foul or not.

I don't need this extra time from review of fakes to get another beer from the fridge.
No one does. That's why it's a 'spot violation' that has no effect on game-flow. When it's ever called (it's a warning) that is rarely followed by a second.

Maybe they should handle it the way the NHL handles a delay penalty call. The Official raises arm signaling the pending violation call. Play continues until the team on Offense scores a Basket or two free throws. If the Defensive Team gains control of the ball before the Offensive team scores, Whistle blows and play stops. Team that was on Offense regains possession of the ball with an inbound from underneath the Basket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT