ADVERTISEMENT

The first domino falls............

I used to be against paying the kids, but I had an epiphany my junior year

at IU.

I was in TIS or Steve and Barry's, and saw a cr@pload of "11" IU football jerseys and t-shirts of varying quality and variety.

I remember thinking to myself, the ONLY reason these are selling is because of Antwaan's play, and yet this store, the manufacturer, and the University are making money, and he isn't.

It's also the fact that poor roster management still always exists, even

with over signing. How is that possible?

How did IU have to resort to making Stan Robinson guard a 5 when Crean essentially had 15 or so players to choose from, pre-Creaning?

And some of these accusations could easily be avoided by Crean. He should have known a couple 7 footers currently using scholarships truly had no business being on the roster in the first place.

If you're bringing in 6 player classes each year, you better not have any roster holes or else you look like an idiot.

John Gasaway, an ESPN Insider guy, tweeted: IU player saying he's "not going anywhere" after final game is hoops equivalent of "If I die of 'natural causes' please investigate."
This post was edited on 3/25 1:26 PM by rickyIU

Slave labor...

give me a break. If you don't want your free, $50,000 a year education...don't take it! Go flip burgers at White Castle and earn $10 an hour for the rest of your life.

Is it easy being a college athlete? No. But I get so tired of the "being used" argument. That's life in the big city for anyone that has a job.

He is both of those things

He can be piled on and still fall victim to Crean's distasteful tactics.

I'm not so sad to see him go, but that doesn't mean I have to keep quiet about all the roster turnover.

Yet another Crean recruit that didn't pan out. Both are to blame for that, to be sure, but at a certain point you have to question Crean's ability to evaluate character and/or talent.

Exactly.

Mrs. O and I paid just shy of $100K for Little O to matriculate at the UofM. I coulda bought a bigger boat with that $100K if Little O had just been talented enough to be "slave labor" and earn a free education.

Except with your analogy......the people in the big city get, you know...a

paycheck.

And I'm all for the concept of a free $50,000 education, if there wasn't systemic denial of that education like at UNC. Do the athletes take some responsibility for that? Sure, but there's also a benefit to the money making machine that is the basketball program (talking UNC here) on having their players completely focused on playing Basketball.

It's the merchandising that makes me most angry.

For the record, I have stated both here and on the Preemie, that I think

he did get forced out, and I don't like it, and am not defending it.

My post is really more about the attitude on the Preemie. Stan was a punchline that folks wanted gone, but now that he's a bullet in the Crean barrel, it's a whole different story.

Depends. Are you menstruating right now?

Then yes, this would be the time of the month where that happens.

Your "free education" statement is just as dumb as the "slave labor"...

statement.

No wait, actually it is much, much dumber because with being a collegiate student-athlete meaning that you forfeit your right to be compensated for your name or likeness for a period of time and is a term that originated as a way to avoid issues of paying potential worker's compensation disputes, the term "slave labor", while hyperbolic, is at least based on a factual circumstance.

This post was edited on 3/25 2:00 PM by HA2740

How many people do you know making $50 gr a year

in college? Plus they get to showcase their skills for professional teams where they can earn millions.

And as far as making $$ of their backs...so? Corporations make big bucks off the backs of their employees. NBA/NFL owners make multiple times what their players make. Life in the big city.

So what?

then don't take the free education and showcase your skills to professional leagues in some other way. You know the rules going in to it. If you don't like it, earn a degree in some other field, and pay for your own education, books, food, housing, and stipend.

They sign their scholarship papers voluntarily...

and they are free to go earn a living instead of going to play college athletics.

Why?

Why is there an unnecessary ultimatum? What is the rationale behind saying you cannot be compensated in anyway other than the value of the scholarship (oh yeah, you can be employed but good luck with that in between the hours you're required to be in class, practicing, and playing/traveling all in an effort to keep your scholarship)? Any student, student on a non-athletic scholarship, or person can be paid money for their autograph, to appear in a commercial for a local car dealership, or sell their things on ebay. What is the logical reason to say because you accepted a scholarship to play a sport, you cannot do any of those things despite them being adverse in no way to the university or athletic program?

What is an argument for why that is right that is more meritorious than the classic if you don't like the eating shit, you have the choice to starve that you and the dullards respond with?

This post was edited on 3/25 3:25 PM by HA2740

Just like Kentucky!

Only without those pesky tournament appearances and Elite 8S or FFs. Life couldn't get any better.

They have no choice on an athletic scholarship but can

get a scholarship per Glass" deal. Athletic scholar ships are year to year.

By his senior year he would've been an asset.

lol....wait...why the F am I talking about "senior year"?.....lol

Never mind me.

Stan should have been released before the start of the season

as with probably Troy.

Rumors are flying that this was known for awhile during the season. Crean should have dropped him on the spot. That's what big boy coaches do. Not keep a cancer because he might be able to help down the road of the season.

Just throwing this out there as an aside:

College education is a way overpriced and overvalued racket.

$50K a year to go to IU? What a scam.

He would've had to cut Troy then as well

....and didn't want to do that. I mean, with this being Stan's second (third?) offense, he could've justified keeping Troy and dumping Stan, but my guess is that Crean has been feeling the heat and needed all hands on deck. Crean is coaching for his life this season. You couldn't tell by the results though.

It is, but it's the same for everyone

and the $50k is inclusive of meals, stipends, books, gear, and other things typical students don't get outside of tuition, room and board.

College is a horrible investment.

You graduate with a house payment at the age of 22.

I think college athletes should be given living expenses. Nothing crazy.

Dullards...

nice. We'll agree to disagree.

My son has been a non-scholarship athlete at IU for four years. Trust me, I know it isn't fair that even he can't go on to kickstarter, use his name and that he's an IU athlete, and raise funds for a business -- even though he gets zero from IU other than free gear and the opportunity to eat at training table. It sucks. But he knew that going in to it, and if he had to to it all over again, he'd sign up in a heartbeat.

Again, they know the rules going in to it -- if they don't like it try and change it, or deal with it and move on with life.

They get living expenses

the stipend they get for housing and food WAY more than covers the actual expense unless they decide to live in a penthouse suite in New York.

Here's something else your kid knew going in: no one cares he runs.

So I'm sure he and every other non-revenue student-athlete would do this again because in reality they're not losing anything financially. They could have told him he couldn't have sex with an SI Swimsuit Cover model and that condition would have had the same actual impact on him during his time at IU.

If he had people offering him $25 per autograph or could make a few hundred bucks for being on a billboard for a local business or had anyone other than Cap who would want to buy his used Indiana running shorts, he would probably say this is kinda fvcked up I can't take advantage of this. Then if he turned around and saw the school selling his uniform or a program with his picture on the cover in the Varsity shop, he would definitely say this is fvcked up.

So should he or other college athletes quit? No. Should they not have to abide by the rules that exist? No. Does that make this situation right? No.

This post was edited on 3/25 6:18 PM by HA2740

actually, the O'Bannon case make make part of your comment incorrect.

The O'Bannon case is on appeal and I think part of it concerns an athlete's right to market his own name.

Kinda yes and kinda no...

The ruling destroyed the NCAA's amateurism argument that had been their stonewall. The acknowledged this is big business and opened the door for future recruits to receive deferred comp. from a university trust of (right now) no less than $5,000. The max on the trust is open and set by the market. Also, the universities cannot collude to set the amounts of their respective trust. So in other words, the ruling says these people need to be compensated for their names, images, and likenesses in more than just the scholarships they currently receive, but the school can administer this.

The judge stopped short of ruling athletes could go out on their own and individually seek endorsements, so that was just short of the knockout punch. However that is exactly what is being sought in the next case set to go to trial before the same judge. And with the blows dealt to the amateurism and antitrust defenses the NCAA has always hung its hat on, the rulings could be very interesting.

Kessler case distinctions from O'Bannon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT