ADVERTISEMENT

The end is nigh, part CXLIV

I, for one, welcome our cylon overlords.

My first thought, how long after the paper was published did DoD wait to contact the authors? Or more eerie, how far in advance of the research being made public did DoD contact the authors?

I, for one, welcome our cylon overlords.

Overlords schmoverlords. I can hardly wait to train a blob to walk the dog and take out the trash.

My first thought, how long after the paper was published did DoD wait to contact the authors? Or more eerie, how far in advance of the research being made public did DoD contact the authors?

The other way around according to the linked article.

What's the over and under before PETA claims animal cruelty?

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
Without any Steven King scenarios, the article says machine, but where are the gears? How about the second law of robotics? Of course it's all science fiction but then....well, the future is hard to predict.

For example, “robots” made from DNA and proteins could be used in surgery to correct gene disorders. In theory, these devices should really follow Asimov’s laws. But for them to follow orders via DNA signals they would essentially have to become an integral part of the human they were working on. This integration would then make it difficult to determine whether the robot was independent enough to fall under the laws or operate outside of them. And on a practical level it would be impossible for it to determine whether any orders it received would cause harm to the human if carried out

https://theconversation.com/after-75-years-isaac-asimovs-three-laws-of-robotics-need-updating-74501

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT