ADVERTISEMENT

Great Pyramid

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Scientists have been studying the internal structure of the Great Pyramid at Giza using a really cool technology called "cosmic ray scanning." Basically, they use different scanners to detect cosmic rays passing through the pyramid, and cross reference different paths that allow more cosmic rays through to find previously unknown empty spaces inside. The newly discovered corridor is some 30 feet long and may have been built to relieve stress on the structure, or it may be a passage that leads to some other unknown chamber below.

Every time the pyramid shows up in the news, I am reminded how incredible the structure is. Despite being the oldest of the original Seven Wonders, it's the only one still standing, and despite being built near the very beginning of the Egyptian Bronze Age, it remained the tallest building in the world until at least the 14th Century, nearly 4000 years.

Scientists have been studying the internal structure of the Great Pyramid at Giza using a really cool technology called "cosmic ray scanning." Basically, they use different scanners to detect cosmic rays passing through the pyramid, and cross reference different paths that allow more cosmic rays through to find previously unknown empty spaces inside. The newly discovered corridor is some 30 feet long and may have been built to relieve stress on the structure, or it may be a passage that leads to some other unknown chamber below.

Every time the pyramid shows up in the news, I am reminded how incredible the structure is. Despite being the oldest of the original Seven Wonders, it's the only one still standing, and despite being built near the very beginning of the Egyptian Bronze Age, it remained the tallest building in the world until at least the 14th Century, nearly 4000 years.

gotta ask, what 14th century building topped it?

For real, like ET built that for them. It better last.

More serious, I think there is so much we don't know about the past. All interesting.
I love this stuff. and i'm fascinated by that part of the world. that said this is apparently among the most overrated "trips" for tourists etc. apparently you can see it from pizza hut. taj mahal same drill. and others. i don't know if it's still streaming but ricky gervais produced a great show called an idiot abroad. the main character is this truly hysterical guy named karl pilkington. the guy is naturally a riot. he travels to many of the wonders of the world and his commentary is so funny. they show him packing and he goes doesn't really matter if it's the amazon, great pyramids, or the taj mahal, it's still just a grey t-shirt isn't it? and i love the one scene where he's sitting in some remote part of the world feeding a lizard chips. and he goes 50 million years apart and we still have things in common. we both like chips

I love this stuff. and i'm fascinated by that part of the world. that said this is apparently among the most overrated "trips" for tourists etc. apparently you can see it from pizza hut. taj mahal same drill. and others. i don't know if it's still streaming but ricky gervais produced a great show called an idiot abroad. the main character is this truly hysterical guy named karl pilkington. the guy is naturally a riot. he travels to many of the wonders of the world and his commentary is so funny. they show him packing and he goes doesn't really matter if it's the amazon, great pyramids, or the taj mahal, it's still just a grey t-shirt isn't it? and i love the one scene where his sitting in some remote part of the world feeding a lizard chips. and he goes 50 million years apart and we still have things in common. we both like chips
You will have some modernity built up around a bunch of these places just because of logistics. The ancient Egyptians picked where they lived for the same reason modern Egyptians likely have. So there will be intermingling of past and present.

Same thing with like Rome, Athens, and the Temple Mount.

For real, like ET built that for them. It better last.

More serious, I think there is so much we don't know about the past. All interesting.
I read something the other day that said steel, which we think was invented in the 18th century(?) was actually in use 2900 years ago.

I love this stuff. and i'm fascinated by that part of the world. that said this is apparently among the most overrated "trips" for tourists etc. apparently you can see it from pizza hut. taj mahal same drill. and others. i don't know if it's still streaming but ricky gervais produced a great show called an idiot abroad. the main character is this truly hysterical guy named karl pilkington. the guy is naturally a riot. he travels to many of the wonders of the world and his commentary is so funny. they show him packing and he goes doesn't really matter if it's the amazon, great pyramids, or the taj mahal, it's still just a grey t-shirt isn't it? and i love the one scene where he's sitting in some remote part of the world feeding a lizard chips. and he goes 50 million years apart and we still have things in common. we both like chips
Ever been to Chaco Canyon? An amazing and mysterious place. Largest and tallest masonry buildings in the United States, ever. Evidence of travelers from 1,200 miles distant. Large rocks on top of pinnacles 100’s of feet that were hoisted up there for some reason. The whole ancient South West—Chaco Canyon , Canyon de Chelly, Hovenweep, and Mesa Verde— would be a great road trip with your daughter.

Ever been to Chaco Canyon? An amazing and mysterious place. Largest and tallest masonry buildings in the United States, ever. Evidence of travelers from 1,200 miles distant. Large rocks on top of pinnacles 100’s of feet that were hoisted up there for some reason. The whole ancient South West—Chaco Canyon , Canyon de Chelly, Hovenweep, and Mesa Verde— would be a great road trip with your daughter.

I have. I absolutely love that part of the country. And yes I do need to do that road trip with her. I want to do an rv trip with her out west sometime in the next two or three years

i see that as a big plus, not a negative.

not big on being stuck with Egyptian or Indian food.

a Cafe' Pizzaria or Goodfellas outlet next door would be even better, with a McDonalds around the corner.
The first time I was in sausalito we were riding our bikes and came upon to this day what was the coolest restaurant I’ve ever seen. Just spectacular views etc. we got around to the front of it and it was a houlihans. Or maybe applebees. One of the two

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
I have. I absolutely love that part of the country. And yes I do need to do that road trip with her. I want to do an rv trip with her out west sometime in the next two or three years
I think a 500 mile diameter circle with 4 corners as the center gives you more scenery, more variety of scenery, more history, and more cultural diversity than anywhere.

Reactions: 76-1
I think a 500 mile diameter circle with 4 corners as the center gives you more scenery, more variety of scenery, more history, and more cultural diversity than anywhere.
Co-sign. That area. Leadville mesa verde Durango is my dad’s favorite part of the world. He’s probably down there somewhere in a mountain lion’s belly as we speak

I've looked into renting an RV - outrageously expensive.
Ha. Try owning one. I’ve had two. Have to decide if you want one for road trippin’ or a park and squat. Overnight fees in some of the RV parks are what a decent motel cost 10 years ago.

• Wow
Reactions: DANC
Ha. Try owning one. I’ve had two. Have to decide if you want one for road trippin’ or a park and squat. Overnight fees in some of the RV parks are what a decent motel cost 10 years ago.
that's interesting. i just wanted to rent a small one. class c or whatever. i've never rented one before

Co-sign. That area. Leadville mesa verde Durango is my dad’s favorite part of the world. He’s probably down there somewhere in a mountain lion’s belly as we speak

Toughest day in my life ever was bicycling over Wolf Creek pass. Started the climb after 70+ miles of up and down, got to the last rest stop at the base and the water truck wasn’t there!

that's interesting. i just wanted to rent a small one. class c or whatever. i've never rented one before
I want one to go back and forth to Indiana for family/friends get-togethers and football and basketball games, and a small one is like $250 per day plus you only get about 100 miles free. It's less expensive for me to just drive and get a cheap hotel or AirBnB (which are getting more expensive).

I'm seriously thinking about just buying a cheap house in a small town and just staying in it while there.

I want one to go back and forth to Indiana for family/friends get-togethers and football and basketball games, and a small one is like $250 per day plus you only get about 100 miles free. It's less expensive for me to just drive and get a cheap hotel or AirBnB (which are getting more expensive).

I'm seriously thinking about just buying a cheap house in a small town and just staying in it while there.
That sucks. I didn’t know they were that much

Reactions: 76-1
That sucks. I didn’t know they were that much
I looked into doing one for a trip out west two years ago. It was pretty expensive and so we just drove our car and got some really cool AirBnBs. Not the same experience, to be sure, but it ended up being simpler and I think cheaper.

I looked into doing one for a trip out west two years ago. It was pretty expensive and so we just drove our car and got some really cool AirBnBs. Not the same experience, to be sure, but it ended up being simpler and I think cheaper.
Definitely. That’s an option. Or fly out there then rent an rv there maybe

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Definitely. That’s an option. Or fly out there then rent an rv there maybe
That would be great, but probably more expensive. You could also take an Amtrak out there (more expensive than you think) if you want to have a lot of cool scenery and alone time. A friend here did that with his daughter a few years ago and he said it was great how they connected (I think he might have made her leave the phone behind).

A cool scenario: you and your daughter on a three-day train trip, and you each only bring one book (the same really good book) to read for entertainment. I imagine it would spur some good conversation. I would love to do that with my daughter.

My buddy, who just shipped off his last kid to college this year, sold his house about a month ago, bought a rv and is now just driving around America to see whatever they want to see.

Right now, him and his wife are down in Florida catching some spring ball.

Sounds absolutely glorious to me.

That would be great, but probably more expensive. You could also take an Amtrak out there (more expensive than you think) if you want to have a lot of cool scenery and alone time. A friend here did that with his daughter a few years ago and he said it was great how they connected (I think he might have made her leave the phone behind).

A cool scenario: you and your daughter on a three-day train trip, and you each only bring one book (the same really good book) to read for entertainment. I imagine it would spur some good conversation. I would love to do that with my daughter.
That is interesting. I’d have to think about that. We’ve taken the train to Chicago twice and kc twice. I was ready to get off. Food is horrible.

My stoker and I used to take it to the wineries. Then a trolley from winery to winery. 7 am to 8 pm. Then back on the train where I’d get her in the bathroom.

Oh my god @DANC im so weak. I’m so weak on the weekends. My busy season of nonstop work starts tomorrow. That’s good. This dead time has been rough - brad reminding me of things

Have you ever shopped RVShare.com ? I used it about 6-7 yrs ago for a big loop from Indiana, up through Yellowstone, down through Denver and back to Indiana. I didn't think it was too bad. The owner even offered a discount if I used it again in the future.

That is interesting. I’d have to think about that. We’ve taken the train to Chicago twice and kc twice. I was ready to get off. Food is horrible.

My stoker and I used to take it to the wineries. Then a trolley from winery to winery. 7 am to 8 pm. Then back on the train where I’d get her in the bathroom.

Oh my god @DANC im so weak. I’m so weak on the weekends. My busy season of nonstop work starts tomorrow. That’s good. This dead time has been rough - brad reminding me of things
By 'get her in the bathroom', I'm assuming some crazy positions......

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Have you ever shopped RVShare.com ? I used it about 6-7 yrs ago for a big loop from Indiana, up through Yellowstone, down through Denver and back to Indiana. I didn't think it was too bad. The owner even offered a discount if I used it again in the future.
No, but I'll check it out. Is that where owners rent out their RV? Like an AirBnB for RVs? I think I did look at that one time and the mileage restriction was prohibitive. But it's worth another look.

That's the type of trip I'm looking for - The Dakotas, Yellowstone, Idaho, Wyoming, etc. Only time I've been to the Northwest was to Seattle for a cruise and we drove around Washington state for a few days. Fantastic scenery. I was stationed in California and camped at Yosemite a couple times where we had an encounter with a bear, so I've been west, just not in the northern US much west of Wisconsin.

No, but I'll check it out. Is that where owners rent out their RV? Like an AirBnB for RVs? I think I did look at that one time and the mileage restriction was prohibitive. But it's worth another look.

That's the type of trip I'm looking for - The Dakotas, Yellowstone, Idaho, Wyoming, etc. Only time I've been to the Northwest was to Seattle for a cruise and we drove around Washington state for a few days. Fantastic scenery. I was stationed in California and camped at Yosemite a couple times where we had an encounter with a bear, so I've been west, just not in the northern US much west of Wisconsin.
Yep that's what it is and there are a few of them. I'm not actually sure that this is the one that I used, but it was the first that popped up. It seemed like there was an $ escalator around 1,000 miles or it may have been 1,500, for a 7 day trip. But the owner said he would work with us on that and he did, as we went like 200 miles over.
What I found was just as in any business transaction. Be straight up wit the owner, take good care of his shit and be professional. It usually works out pretty well and everyone gets a win!

What's crazy is that, were it not for erosion, it would have retaken the title for tallest manmade structure from 1647-1874. And to think it held the title for 3,881 years is mind-boggling.

-I think the claim that the Tower of Jericho held the title for 4,000 years is a bit dubious. At only 27.9 feet tall it seems impossible to state with much certainty that no one ever built anything taller from 8,000 to 4,000 BCE.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Weird question I probably already know the answer to.

Are you required to park an RV in an RV park? I get that you need to hook it up to plumbing on a regular basis and the RV parks probably guarantee a certain level of safety, but will you get ticketed if you park it at some out-of-the-way spot?

In the article you linked, it says it was the tallest structure made by humans until the Eiffel Tower was built in 1889.

The Great Pyramid was constructed as a monumental tomb around 2560 BC during the reign of the Pharaoh Khufu, or Cheops. Built to a height of 146 meters (479 feet), it now stands at 139 meters and was the tallest structure made by humans until the Eiffel Tower in Paris in 1889.

Maybe they're making some differentiation between 'building' or 'structure' or maybe their editor just missed that...

Weird question I probably already know the answer to.

Are you required to park an RV in an RV park? I get that you need to hook it up to plumbing on a regular basis and the RV parks probably guarantee a certain level of safety, but will you get ticketed if you park it at some out-of-the-way spot?
Not sure about all places but Walmart allows RV’s.

Not sure about all places but Walmart allows RV’s.
I was going to say that I thought I remember seeing an RV or two from time to time in the local Walmart parking lot, but I wasn't sure I was remembering correctly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT