ADVERTISEMENT

The bison and block I are dumb and need to go away.

I have given up on the block I. Reason and tradition died together. The sinful devils trident is the perfect symbol for the school who gave up on football in the 1950s in favor of publishing sex studies about masturbation.

But I won’t give up on the bison. It’s part of the state of Indiana Seal. It is a bad ass animal that should be emulated on football fields. If, for no other reason, GIFs of an IU bison chasing a Purdue coed out of a barn must be permitted.

I hate the block I so much. It's ugly and generic, only the most passionate IU fans even associate it with IU. Basically no outsiders do. Hate that we wear it for big games when we should be sticking with our more recognizable trident. The uniforms overall have been garbage the last few years. Time to move on from Adidas and the LEO era uniform failures.

I'm agnostic about the bison but do think that few people, even Indiana residents, have any association between a bison and Indiana. I think a bison mascot might be a bit confusing for folks, but it's just a mascot. The mascot could also just be human form, like plenty of other mascots.

I love the block I, but I don't love TWO logos or traditions. So, trident for me now .

Not sure on the bison vs Purdue coed. i wouldn't lay odds.

• Haha
Reactions: Army88 and 76-1
Bison stays.
We say we are “unique” because we have no mascot. The only thing that is unique about IU is that it hasn’t tried to implement things that other successful football programs do…..to the tune of the most losses in history. If it’s broke, you do need to fix it.
New era. New coach. Change the brand. Bring on a mascot.

What the hell is a “Duke?” That’s the James Madison nickname. Guess what their mascot is? A dog named “Duke.”
And, the university actually got its nickname from a former university president with the last name of “Duke.”

What that has to do with the dog… I don’t know, but it seems to work.

The official IU logo, symbol is the pitchfork. Continued, steady, consistent display strengthens it as THE brand. So can and the same for the bison. Somebody in Kelley needs to grow a pair and propose a marketing plan. Evaluate and massage it and then implement, evaluate it, massage it, 2-3-4 times, moving forward is the direction for + results.

Reactions: IUHDog and 76-1
Bison stays.
We say we are “unique” because we have no mascot. The only thing that is unique about IU is that it hasn’t tried to implement things that other successful football programs do…..to the tune of the most losses in history. If it’s broke, you do need to fix it.

What the hell is a “Duke?” That’s the James Madison nickname. Guess what their mascot is? A dog named “Duke.”
And, the university actually got its nickname from a former university president with the last name of “Duke.”

Jed clampett's hound dog

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I would be okay with keeping either or both and okay with ditching either or both. However, the video of the bison running through campus and busting through the stadium to destroy the opponents will ALWAYS be my all time favorite thing EVER when attending an IU football game at Memorial Stadium. That video got my blood pumping the first time I saw it until the last time they put it up on the video board.

Fight me! Go!
Wow, you may not want a block I but you're bound to get a black eye! Not really, I agree that we should be utilizing the trident to better brand our program. Those who are nostalgic enjoy the block I but maybe limit it to a turn back the clock game once every few years or something.

I would be okay with keeping either or both and okay with ditching either or both. However, the video of the bison running through campus and busting through the stadium to destroy the opponents will ALWAYS be my all time favorite thing EVER when attending an IU football game at Memorial Stadium. That video got my blood pumping the first time I saw it until the last time they put it up on the video board.
Always loved ralfie stampeding down the field in Boulder

giphy.gif

Bison stays.

No one ever said we were unique because we don't have a mascot because WE AREN'T.
Good grief, just in the BT there are two. Illinois since 2007 doesn't have one.

Michigan doesn't have one and I would say they are pretty successful!!
At Michigan, this is their view
The Athletic Department has steadfastly maintained that such a symbol is unnecessary and undignified and would not properly reflect the spirit and values of Michigan athletics.
Stanford doesn't have one either.
I have stated this before but once again.
There hasn't been a wild buffalo in Indiana for close to 200 years
From the Seymour tribune,
Early explorers and travelers reported sightings of bison in Indiana in the 1600s and 1700s. Nature Conservancy research indicated a lone bison was identified near the Kankakee location in 1824, and it was shot, perhaps the beginning of its end in the Hoosier State. The bison was no longer an Indiana resident by 1830.

NO ONE associates buffalo with Indiana.

I have given up on the block I. Reason and tradition died together. The sinful devils trident is the perfect symbol for the school who gave up on football in the 1950s in favor of publishing sex studies about masturbation.

But I won’t give up on the bison. It’s part of the state of Indiana Seal. It is a bad ass animal that should be emulated on football fields. If, for no other reason, GIFs of an IU bison chasing a Purdue coed out of a barn must be permitted.
So a derisive Kinsey comment...followed by, what could be interpreted by some, as a comment that includes bestiality.

Good thing this board knows what Purdue coeds look like...

(All in good fun MTIOTF.)

No one ever said we were unique because we don't have a mascot because WE AREN'T.

The Athletic Department has steadfastly maintained that such a symbol is unnecessary and undignified and would not properly reflect the spirit and values of Michigan athletics.
Early explorers and travelers reported sightings of bison in Indiana in the 1600s and 1700s. Nature Conservancy research indicated a lone bison was identified near the Kankakee location in 1824, and it was shot, perhaps the beginning of its end in the Hoosier State. The bison was no longer an Indiana resident by 1830.

I thought Stanford was a Xmas tree

So, when is the time we saw a Spartan or Trojan in metal body armor?

How about anyone who deals with the state seal on a regular basis...; but you must be right, "No One associates buffalo with Indiana"... 😉

Just because you don't doesn't mean much of the rest of the state doesn't...

Now why would you want to go out of your way to agree with an obvious troll? 😎

Michigan is the Wolverine, they just don’t have one at games.

Stanford lampoons mascots by having a tree, and a band that is a joke that actually interferes with games while drunk.

A bison is a perfect mascot. It is American as hell, strong, don’t take no crap, and would allow for great marketing:

il_1140xN.2082675896_94s6.jpg

db0ec5e4508f6eb059baef6dd9451f65.jpg

il_570xN.980983330_9nhf.jpg

6aee85e95d55fa27e11146c2a075fd0a.jpg

How about anyone who deals with the state seal on a regular basis...; but you must be right, "No One associates buffalo with Indiana"... 😉

Just because you don't doesn't mean much of the rest of the state doesn't...

Now why would you want to go out of your way to agree with an obvious troll? 😎
Well, he’s right, “ no one associates buffalo with Indiana”, because there were never buffalo roaming wild here, however, there were lots of bison here. Guess that might be why it’s on our state seal , oh, and there is a herd roaming a nature preserve in Newton county now.

Like I said before in a previous thread, we should be called the Yaks! Yaks are in the Bison bovine family, and IU fans like to yak a lot!

yak-aceventura.gif

Needs to b brought. Best opening video ever and always hoped they would surprise us with a live one running out

The idea of the rampaging IU bison clearing the pee ewe sideline and taking a big dump on the grass simply won't go away.

1. Michigan talking about something being undignified is a hoot. Their new mascot should be a guy with a pair of binoculars and a notepad.

2. Chief Illiniwek was great for Illinois until people started falsely making it out to be a show of dishonor, which it wasn’t.

3. If Bison never had anything at all to do with Indiana, remove it from our state seal entirely.

4. If the bison makes you uncomfortable…..sometimes you have to become uncomfortable to grow.

1. Michigan talking about something being undignified is a hoot. Their new mascot should be a guy with a pair of binoculars and a notepad.

2. Chief Illiniwek was great for Illinois until people started falsely making it out to be a show of dishonor, which it wasn’t.

3. If Bison never had anything at all to do with Indiana, remove it from our state seal entirely.

4. If the bison makes you uncomfortable…..sometimes you have to become uncomfortable to grow.

Coming up on TWO HUNDRED YEARS since the last wild buffalo in Indiana.

So a bison would help me grow? 😁
Pick something that makes sense and I will be on board.
Do a survey of Indiana residents and see how many know what is on the state seal. I would bet less than 10%.

Do you even know why the buffalo is on the state seal? According to my search...
The buffalo represents the wilderness fleeing westward away from the advancing civilization.

Now that is great mascot material!

1.Michigan talking about something being undignified is a hoot. Their new mascot should be a guy with a pair of binoculars and a notepad.

If not Bison, what about Pork? Since we have the best Pork tenderloins!

Our new Helmets would have this logo…

images

• Haha

So a bison would help me grow? 😁
Pick something that makes sense and I will be on board.
Do a survey of Indiana residents and see how many know what is on the state seal. I would bet less than 10%.

Do you even know why the buffalo is on the state seal? According to my search...
The buffalo represents the wilderness fleeing westward away from the advancing civilization.

Now that is great mascot material!
It’s NOT a buffalo, it’s a bison !

Nashville Predators mascot is a sabre tooth cat. (Story is bones of one was found when excavating for a downtown building.)

Probably hasn't been one of those in the area for awhile.

For Indiana football I guess the buffalo (sorry, bison) will represent the rest of the Big Ten fleeing, with the buff hard on their ###.

Or, it could represent pride in the state? Since it's on the seal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT