ADVERTISEMENT

Path to Six

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
Indulging in some off-season speculation here. The Path to the Quick Lane Bowl. Brought to you by the Bison and Powder Blue Jersies.

No - Michigan, Washington, @ Ohio State ❌❌❌

Probably not - @UCLA ❌

Win 3 non-conference games ✅✅✅

Win 2 of 3 at Home vs Maryland, Nebraska & Purdue ✅✅❌

Split Road Games @ Northwestern & Michigan St ✅❌

✅✅✅✅✅✅
❌❌❌❌❌❌

All that glitters is Gold.

Indulging in some off-season speculation here. The Path to the Quick Lane Bowl. Brought to you by the Bison and Powder Blue Jersies.

Probably not - @UCLA ❌

✅✅✅✅✅✅
❌❌❌❌❌❌

Probably not - @UCLA ❌

✅✅✅✅✅✅
❌❌❌❌❌❌

I'm all
for the 5,6,7,8 play for 9 Five year plan.

Reactions: red hornet

Probably not - @UCLA ❌

✅✅✅✅✅✅
❌❌❌❌❌❌

You're being too tough on yourself. I see us 9-0 going into the Michigan game. As the song says "Have a drink on me":)

Probably not - @UCLA ❌

✅✅✅✅✅✅
❌❌❌❌❌❌

Think bigger 😎, and all that glitters in these parts are the angles of rough cut limestone shining in the early morning sun..., along with the occasional ruby... (that everyone knows lie loose along the streets of Bloomington) 😉

Last edited:
The goal is 10 wins to be a contender for the playoffs.

6 wins to have a shit bowl scrimmage? That's the floor from a goal standpoint.

An argument could be made that making a shit bowl is detrimental to the program as it delays offseason portal moves, HS recruiting, and consumes valuable time/effort the staff could be spending evaluating the portal and HS talent.

The goal is 10 wins to be a contender for the playoffs.

6 wins to have a shit bowl scrimmage? That's the floor from a goal standpoint.

An argument could be made that making a shit bowl is detrimental to the program as it delays offseason portal moves, HS recruiting, and consumes valuable time/effort the staff could be spending evaluating the portal and HS talent.
I get the sentiment...and it sure seems like the coaching staff shares your lofty expectations...

But as a fan base, 6 wins and a bowl in the new staff's first season is a great "goal".

Has IU ever won 10 games in a season?

Win the 3 OOC games. Win a minimum of 2 home B10 games. Win a minimum of 1 road B10 game. Build on that.

Practically...I hope Cig and his staff, and then the players are focusing on much more granular things. Win each workout right now. Win each lifting rep. Win each practice in the spring....so on and so forth. That's the Saban approach. And that will lead to cool things if they can adopt that mentality. I suspect Cig took that mindset from his days Coaching with Saban.

I get the sentiment...and it sure seems like the coaching staff shares your lofty expectations...

But as a fan base, 6 wins and a bowl in the new staff's first season is a great "goal".

Win the 3 OOC games. Win a minimum of 2 home B10 games. Win a minimum of 1 road B10 game. Build on that.

Practically...I hope Cig and his staff, and then the players are focusing on much more granular things. Win each workout right now. Win each lifting rep. Win each practice in the spring....so on and so forth. That's the Saban approach. And that will lead to cool things if they can adopt that mentality. I suspect Cig took that mindset from his days Coaching with Saban.
9 wins is the most IU has ever had. 1945 and 1967

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet

and...beat your man every play...

Reactions: 76-1
The 2024 season is, in my opinion, a complete unknown. New coaches, new roster, new everything. Way too early to seriously speculate about the number of wins and losses. We may not have a clear picture until the UCLA game in Week 3.

I agree with you completely. 10 wins at Indiana in 2024 doesn't seem realistic with a bunch of fun belt xfers. If they get 7 wins or more, great, but 6 wins and a bowl should be the stop loss for this program.

Also agree about process. It's easy to fall into the trap of being outcome oriented. Focus on doing what you need to do in the moment. If you do that hard enough for long enough the outcome will work itself out.
The 2024 season is, in my opinion, a complete unknown. New coaches, new roster, new everything. Way too early to seriously speculate about the number of wins and losses. We may not have a clear picture until the UCLA game in Week 3.

For sure. I'm not mad at people for being excited but there are a lot of unknowns. I'm optimistic but with a large side of wait and see.

I will be very surprised if KD doesn't pull a stud QB out of the portal after the success he has had.

He has a great line and appears to have access to plenty of NIL $$$ up there.
They already got Will Rogers from Mississippi State. They will be replacing the 3 top receivers most likely to the NFL draft. KD will replace them with good players though.

I will be very surprised if KD doesn't pull a stud QB out of the portal after the success he has had.

He has a great line and appears to have access to plenty of NIL $$$ up there.
Rest assured KD will have a good QB in 2024 but will he be Mike Penix good? Those guys don't come along too often.

Last edited:

Probably not - @UCLA ❌

✅✅✅✅✅✅
❌❌❌❌❌❌

Well played. I'm buying six. We have nothing but Cig's comments, past success, and optimism that some really good players stayed, and some new ones joined. Glass half full. Go Hoosiers!

Probably not - @UCLA ❌

✅✅✅✅✅✅
❌❌❌❌❌❌

I like our chances v. Washington and UCLA … let’s say we split those. ✅❌
We should have beaten MSU last year… and used to win regularly in Ryan Field ✅✅
✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅
❌❌❌❌
seems possible.

6-6 seems to be underachieving…

15 bowl game practices is like another spring practice season … running bowl practices and evaluating portal talent is the right kind of problem to have …

Depending on how fast, or slow, renovations are going, NU game may not be at Ryan Field. There’s been no announcement as of yet. Soldier Field, NIU and even the place where the Chicago Fire plays soccer by Midway have all been mentioned as possibilities. Regardless of where that one’s played, hope we can get a win. Stupid Big Ten schedule hasn’t had IU vs Northwestern since 2019.

I agree with you completely. 10 wins at Indiana in 2024 doesn't seem realistic with a bunch of fun belt xfers. If they get 7 wins or more, great, but 6 wins and a bowl should be the stop loss for this program.

Also agree about process. It's easy to fall into the trap of being outcome oriented. Focus on doing what you need to do in the moment. If you do that hard enough for long enough the outcome will work itself out.

For sure. I'm not mad at people for being excited but there are a lot of unknowns. I'm optimistic but with a large side of wait and see.
Careful..., someone will accuse you of being negative...😉

Reactions: red hornet

Probably not - @UCLA ❌

✅✅✅✅✅✅
❌❌❌❌❌❌

i think we have a very good shot at 7 wins, and that would be a great first year.

Depending on how fast, or slow, renovations are going, NU game may not be at Ryan Field. There’s been no announcement as of yet. Soldier Field, NIU and even the place where the Chicago Fire plays soccer by Midway have all been mentioned as possibilities. Regardless of where that one’s played, hope we can get a win. Stupid Big Ten schedule hasn’t had IU vs Northwestern since 2019.
I’d be all about it being the wrigley game next year!

I like our chances v. Washington and UCLA … let’s say we split those. ✅❌
We should have beaten MSU last year… and used to win regularly in Ryan Field ✅✅
✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅
❌❌❌❌
seems possible.

6-6 seems to be underachieving…
Coach Cignetti wants a word with you based on he wants a change in the thinking for IUFB.

It will be interesting how much of a fall off Washington has next year with Penix gone
Penix was a winner that can make others around him better. His arm strength, accuracy, and ability for a quick release when needed gave a lot of players great opportunities. He likely elevated the play of other QBs and while they won't have his talent, I expect they benefited from competing with him.

I expect success to carry over next year, but there will need to be a retooling underway. That will be where Deboer's talent will be seen. A lot of coaches can build a winner. The great ones do it again and again.

Penix was a winner that can make others around him better. His arm strength, accuracy, and ability for a quick release when needed gave a lot of players great opportunities. He likely elevated the play of other QBs and while they won't have his talent, I expect they benefited from competing with him.

I expect success to carry over next year, but there will need to be a retooling underway. That will be where Deboer's talent will be seen. A lot of coaches can build a winner. The great ones do it again and again.
Agree. That is why I like Saban (as many others don't), he wins year in and year out.

Probably not - @UCLA ❌

✅✅✅✅✅✅
❌❌❌❌❌❌

I have no idea what our record's going to be but I'm certain we won't be outcoached by anyone.

Fans of past Cignetti teams indicate we'll be frustrated by his clock management. :D

I'm willing to take the bad with the good...

What those fans may not know is that merely average clock management will be a big upgrade at Indiana.

On path to six, I'll be happy with six. Throw in another game or two upset, and that would be very strong. I have little idea how we'll be. We have a long road of improvement coming. As long as it's two steps forward for every one back, we're good.

Fans of past Cignetti teams indicate we'll be frustrated by his clock management. :D

I'm willing to take the bad with the good...

What those fans may not know is that merely average clock management will be a big upgrade at Indiana.
I've never understood why our staff didn't have a GA up in the booth whose sole job on gameday was getting the clock management options immediately to the Head Coach (of course he still has to make the right decision)...

Once when I was visiting the Football Offices way back in the day, when Coach Mallory was running things, I overheard Matt Canada playing a "What If" Clock Management quiz game with a couple of other GA's... Those guys were Good! There's no reason we can't be good again in that respect... That's all game situational study and flat out "Want To"...

If our Head Coach is looking for an area to "fight complacency" when it comes to himself and the staff that'd be as good a place to start as any (in respect to gameday decisions)....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT