ADVERTISEMENT

Terrible red card given to Nani yesterday

Mark Milton

All-American
Sep 18, 2001
It was game over as soon as that happened. Should have been given a yellow, but what a disappointing way to decide the game. The ref had to know that as soon as he gave the red card, he gave the game to Madrid, who were floundering at that point.

Was it a high kick? Sure. But Nani didn't see the guy coming.

Zero English teams left after Arsenal gets dismantled by Bayern Munich. That's shocking. Bayern has to be the favorite to win this year. They look unstoppable.

Everyone agrees- just an awful Red Card. I have not heard/red one person or reporter who even makes an argument for how it could have been a red. It obv was the difference in the match.

But don't overlook the out-freaking-standing goal that Modric scored. If he doesn't score that difficult goal, and it stays 1-0 ManU for a while, Madrid would have felt some pressure. But his spectacular individual piece of brilliance put them level and from there they just rolled. The replays of that goal were awesome- the ball started well wide of the post and just curved enough to catch the post and bounce into the opposite side netting.

Modric's goal was outstanding

and frankly unexpected given how little he has actually played this year. I don't want to take anything way from the guy, but, does that goal happen, or the opportunity to take that shot if Man U has 11 players? That's how I am looking at it. Granted, the handball on Raphel should have been a red, but again, does that opportunity arise if there are 11 men on the field? I don't know know. What should have been a good game was derailed at the 50 minute mark, and that's a bummer.

United was completely bossing the game before the red.

Just a terrible decision.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the game. United were the better side. SAF got the tactics exactly right (especially the call to leave Rooney on the bench). Madrid couldn't match the pace of Welbeck and Nani who were tormenting their backline. Giggs played his best game in years. Vidic and Ferdinand were controlling all of the Madrid attacks.

Then, the red happened and everyone knew it was over. United still played their guts out, and the fans were loud and amazing. It's unfortunate. This United team is really, really good.

IUforLife16

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT