ADVERTISEMENT

TDH - Dane Fife gave his thoughts on 2022-23 IU BB on the Dan Dakich Show

Purdue second? Wow, I just don't see it. They needed a PG last year and I don't think addressed that well enough (sorry, Boilers, I would have liked to have seen Braden Smith in candy stripes, but don't see him being the answer as a starting PG in the B10 as a freshman), and of course lost big pieces in Ivey and Williams.

Purdue second? Wow, I just don't see it. They needed a PG last year and I don't think addressed that well enough (sorry, Boilers, I would have liked to have seen Braden Smith in candy stripes, but don't see him being the answer as a starting PG in the B10 as a freshman), and of course lost big pieces in Ivey and Williams.
Yeah...I don't see 2nd for Purdue either.

David Jenkins is a pretty big key for them. Smith and Loyer are as well, but its hard to envision the latter two guys I mentioned leading a 2nd place B10 team. Jenkins is mature enough, and has been solid at the high major level already.

If Jenkins is good, and if they get solid play from Smith and/or Loyer. Then I could see them contending near the top. Edey, Furst, Gillis, TKR, Newman, Morton...Painter will put a solid product on the floor with that wing/front court roster. The guards will determine if they can contend near the top though. And it doesn't look great for this year, as of today. Who knows though?

David Jenkins is a pretty big key for them. Smith and Loyer are as well, but its hard to envision the latter two guys I mentioned leading a 2nd place B10 team. Jenkins is mature enough, and has been solid at the high major level already.

If Jenkins is good, and if they get solid play from Smith and/or Loyer. Then I could see them contending near the top. Edey, Furst, Gillis, TKR, Newman, Morton...Painter will put a solid product on the floor with that wing/front court roster. The guards will determine if they can contend near the top though. And it doesn't look great for this year, as of today. Who knows though?
The way I look at it is I doubt Painter's team will be bad, and they can win a lot of games without a true point guard because of the offense ran. It would sure as heck help though... anyways, not sure it's a crazy stretch because which team in the big ten doesn't have some big questions? Iu probably has the least, then who? Michigan? Purdue? Illinois? I don't think the big ten is going to be a super tough conference this year, which certainly plays to Purdue's advantage with this team.

The way I look at it is I doubt Painter's team will be bad, and they can win a lot of games without a true point guard because of the offense ran. It would sure as heck help though... anyways, not sure it's a crazy stretch because which team in the big ten doesn't have some big questions? Iu probably has the least, then who? Michigan? Purdue? Illinois? I don't think the big ten is going to be a super tough conference this year, which certainly plays to Purdue's advantage with this team.
Painter is capable of having bad teams. Purdue wouldn’t have made the tournament during the Covid year.

Painter is capable of having bad teams. Purdue wouldn’t have made the tournament during the Covid year.
Purdue lost the guy who could go get a bucket. lost a solid stretch big and still no point guard. They have good post guys and a stretch 4 that supposedly will play the 3. The back court is mehhhh. So less offense and bad defense. Probably painters least balanced team in awhile.

Purdue lost the guy who could go get a bucket. lost a solid stretch big and still no point guard. They have good post guys and a stretch 4 that supposedly will play the 3. The back court is mehhhh. So less offense and bad defense. Probably painters least balanced team in awhile.
Whose the stretch 4 playing the 3 this year? Solid interior with a team full of shooters.

I mean, sure, Purdue could missed the tourney. Essentially every big ten team could. I don't anticipate it though.

I mean, sure, Purdue could missed the tourney. Essentially every big ten team could. I don't anticipate it though.
So what are your expectations? My expectations are that you will have a year similar to the Covid year.

So what are your expectations? My expectations are that you will have a year similar to the Covid year.
4-7 seed. I think Purdue will be good, but not great. Also think the big ten is way down compared to years past. This team has more talent than 2020.

They aren’t playing him at the 3, because he isn’t skilled enough or quick enough to play there. Ironically, he will get minutes at the 5.
Doubt he gets minutes at the 5. He's the backup 4. Furst is the backup 5. Purdue has a ton of flexibility in lineups.

All of your shooters are unproven outside of Gillis.
Small sample size, but I'd be comfortable with furst and Morton shooting 2-3 3's a game. Newman will shoot 3-4, but he's been wildly inconsistent. Either hits 10 straight or misses 10 straight. I'd guess there will be a freshman that really steps up, but I'd rather be surprised than expect it.

Small sample size, but I'd be comfortable with furst and Morton shooting 2-3 3's a game. Newman will shoot 3-4, but he's been wildly inconsistent. Either hits 10 straight or misses 10 straight. I'd guess there will be a freshman that really steps up, but I'd rather be surprised than expect it.
Do you expect your shooting to be as good as last year?

Then you would know Renn is expected to play the 5 at times.
Ok. Whatever helps you sleep. Him and furst will play the backup 4 and 5. They are interchangeable. If Edey is on the bench, Purdue has the ability to play 5 out, so not sure it matters. Does that make you happy?

Ok. Whatever helps you sleep. Him and furst will play the backup 4 and 5 if I had to guess. They are interchangeable. If Edey is on the bench, Purdue has the ability to play 5 out, so not sure it matters. Does that make you happy?
That’s exactly what I said and you disagreed.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Oof. Purdue will not be very good at all if they shoot 34-35% as a team.
That would be their 2nd best shooting team of the last 4 years I believe. I anticipate some growing pains early, but like you said, big ten is way down, so they will win some games. Wildcard is Jenkins. I think he will be a big addition overall.

That would be their 2nd best shooting team of the last 4 years I believe. I anticipate some growing pains early, but like you said, big ten is way down, so they will win some games. Wildcard is Jenkins. I think he will be a big addition overall.
One of those other years was a non tournament team, and the other year you rode a weak schedule to 4th in the Big Ten.

I do think Jenkins is a wildcard, but I think he will be closer to Utah than his mid major performances.

One of those other years was a non tournament team, and the other year you rode a weak schedule to 4th in the Big Ten.

I do think Jenkins is a wildcard, but I think he will be closer to Utah than his mid major performances.
Heard he looks really good. Expecting more. We will see.

I’ve heard the opposite. Not even in the conversation to start even with a weak backcourt.
I guess we will see how weak it is. Hard to know. Like I said, I don't love relying on freshman, but it sure creates an unknown.

Agree on Braden Smith.......he'll be a player in a couple of years.

I have a feeling red shirt freshman Trey Kaufman-Renn could contribute. He is a big who can shoot outside. I saw quite a few of his games in high school because I could see him at IU.

I never predict well. Seems PU is usually pretty good year in and year out. I think Painter is solid. I always expect them top 3. We shall see.
I am more concerned with our success.

Reactions: BoilerN
Reactions: ulrey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT