ADVERTISEMENT

Tamar Bates

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
before all is said and done will average about 15 a game, may not be here but it will happen somewhere on the D1 level, Hes been receiving a lot of negative talk on these boards. He is one of the best athletes on the team and has excellent size to be a 2 guard. he is not a natural shooter but does have decent form, he needs to take it basket more often and use his slashing skills instead of hanging out on the perimeter. would love to see Woodson give him 30 minutes in one of these shit games to either let him fail or gain some confidence, he should be an Oladipo type defender. And we will need that sometime when the competition ramps up.

My prediction he will transfer at the end of this season, and find a place more suitable to his game, which I would hate to see happen because I think he still has a ton of potential.

Coach Gee what are thoughts on Tamar?

He got 25 minutes against Xavier (as much as XJ and TJD). And he did pretty well. I did notice on one of his 3-pt attempts he seemed to have his feet staggered. He needs to eliminate that.

Reactions: kkott
before all is said and done will average about 15 a game, may not be here but it will happen somewhere on the D1 level, Hes been receiving a lot of negative talk on these boards. He is one of the best athletes on the team and has excellent size to be a 2 guard. he is not a natural shooter but does have decent form, he needs to take it basket more often and use his slashing skills instead of hanging out on the perimeter. would love to see Woodson give him 30 minutes in one of these shit games to either let him fail or gain some confidence, he should be an Oladipo type defender. And we will need that sometime when the competition ramps up.

My prediction he will transfer at the end of this season, and find a place more suitable to his game, which I would hate to see happen because I think he still has a ton of potential.

I agree, Tamar will only get better. He's only a sophomore on a team dominated by a couple of upperclassmen. He's gotta know more and more playing time will begin next year. Same goes for Banks and Gunn. Let's hope stay patient.

I agree, Tamar will only get better. He's only a sophomore on a team dominated by a couple of upperclassmen. He's gotta know more and more playing time will begin next year. Same goes for Banks and Gunn. Let's hope stay patient.
I think Gunn has a lot of upside, not sold on Banks, I know he has come in and scored some points in mop up minutes but seems kind of slow footed.

Tamar has been hyped a lot. Whether his production matches the hype or not, everything I’ve seen shows me he’s a great team mate. Would hate to lose him. I saw him as a solid 4 year player last year and that hast changed.

Id be shocked if he ever avg over 10ppg at IU

He got 25 minutes against Xavier (as much as XJ and TJD). And he did pretty well. I did notice on one of his 3-pt attempts he seemed to have his feet staggered. He needs to eliminate that.
This happened during the Miami game too. Doesn’t have his feet set when he catches the ball.

Tamar has been hyped a lot. Whether his production matches the hype or not, everything I’ve seen shows me he’s a great team mate. Would hate to lose him. I saw him as a solid 4 year player last year and that hast changed.

Id be shocked if he ever avg over 10ppg at IU
if he stays, he should see a lot of time at the 2 next year, I think he will be in double figures

I've seen him 6 minutes that's how, Hes not very athletic
You are so wrong, just young. Check again, drives the baseline really effectively, has the makings of a good 3 pt. shot, much better form and mechanics than Tamar. Banks just

Are you Cav, using a different name?

I'd like to see Bates keep it simple until he can develop his game further. Start by being a defensive presence. A lock down defender that can cover more than one position at a high level.
On offense the same thing. Keep it simple. Work on a spot up jumper in the location or two that works best for him. Try posting smaller guards near the basket. The problem is his dribbling. If he can catch near the FT line, take one dribble and go up he could excel. Driving from the perimeter isn't working for him right now
The other things he could be doing is rebounding with his size instead of being a spectator, and scoring more in transition.

Reactions: Middawg
You are so wrong, just young. Check again, drives the baseline really effectively, has the makings of a good 3 pt. shot, much better form and mechanics than Tamar. Banks just

He’s not or he’s want to bet you a K

There is no doubt that Bates has one of the highest ceilings on this team. Unfortunately his offense isn’t nearly as polished as even Gunn or Banks.

Hopefully it will all come together for him but it’s starting to look more like he and Geronimo are going to be good all around players but not necessarily great offensive players.

Reactions: ericrossiu
I think Tamar has improved his shot and overall game. The key to him getting minutes right now is his defense. He is one of the first off the bench along with Trey and Malik. It seems that Trey keeps having nagging injuries the way he throws his body around and that will impact the minutes Tamar gets. If he stays aggressive and is confident with his shot, they will start to fall and hopefully his game will elevate in an Olidipo-esque way. Don’t think 4 or 5 games into his sophomore yr we saw Victor becoming what he did and right now Tamar is not asked to burden the load but to work, get better and keep at it……….and don’t transfer!!!

Reactions: 2 old 2 play
There is no doubt that Bates has one of the highest ceilings on this team. Unfortunately his offense isn’t nearly as polished as even Gunn or Banks.

Hopefully it will all come together for him but it’s starting to look more like he and Geronimo are going to be good all around players but not necessarily great offensive players.
Not to mention he’s nowhere near the level of Reneau and JHS. His career here looks very bleak right now. Not only is his offense struggling, but defensively he’s not overly impressive.

no, I'm not cav, banks has a nice shot I agree with that, could possibly be a spot up shooter under the right circumstances. he isn't driving the baseline against big 10 comp

If Tamar does leave…….

vvvv Cavanagh vvvv

D984_38_121_1200.jpg

Not to mention he’s nowhere near the level of Reneau and JHS. His career here looks very bleak right now. Not only is his offense struggling, but defensively he’s not overly impressive.
Why are you so negative ith only 4 or 5 games through. He has a bright future again we are a senior-dominated team. Oh yeah, we r 5-0.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

You said that Tamar is "one of the best athletes on the team." Just curious, in comparison to his teammates, he's a better athlete than whom? What about his game makes him a good athlete? Potential to be a "Oladipo type defender," really?

You think Kaleb Banks is "slow footed" and not athletic? How do you define athleticism? Our definitions are very different.

Last edited:
You said that Tamar is "one of the best athletes on the team." Just curious, in comparison to his teammates, he's a better athlete than whom? What about his game makes him a good athlete? Potential to be a "Oladipo type defender," really?

You think Kaleb Banks is "slow footed" and not athletic? How do you define athleticism? Our definitions are very different.
speed quickness strength jumping ability, I'd put jg and tjd above tamar in athleticism that's about it on this team.

WOW, I could not disagree more. Do you watch how Tamar moves on the defensive end?
He is kind of awkward, having said that I admit when I first saw Victor I was like why is he here. I just thought he had a horrible body language about him somehow.

Reactions: ericrossiu
how do you define it

I don't necessarily disagree with how you define it, but rather your evaluations of players. In my mind, in addition to the players you mentioned, I would rate Xavier Johnson, CJ Gunn, Race Thompson, and my controversial selection of maybe..just maybe...Trey Galloway as being more athletic than Tamar Bates. When I watch Tamar play defense, he really does remind me of post knee injury Maurice Creek; he wants to move fast, but just can't. His reaction time seems to be slower than most too. That said, his defense does look much better this year, but still needs a lot of improvement.

Reactions: mk30
He is kind of awkward, having said that I admit when I first saw Victor I was like why is he here. I just thought he had a horrible body language about him somehow.
maybe because Hes left-handed, they tend to move different. watch tamar when he locks in on someone, he could be a tremendous defender, his problem is he gets out of position and is beat before he gets a chance to get in front of someone, troy williams was an amazing athlete but was a horrendous defender

maybe because Hes left-handed, they tend to move different. watch tamar when he locks in on someone, he could be a tremendous defender, his problem is he gets out of position and is beat before he gets a chance to get in front of someone, troy williams was an amazing athlete but was a horrendous defender
I think with Vic in my mind he kind of had a strange stance with kind of a hunch back that just didn't look athletic. We sure get a lot of lefties for the % of population they are don't we?

• Haha
Reactions: mk30
I don't necessarily disagree with how you define it, but rather your evaluations of players. In my mind, in addition to the players you mentioned, I would rate Xavier Johnson, CJ Gunn, Race Thompson, and my controversial selection of maybe..just maybe...Trey Galloway as being more athletic than Tamar Bates. When I watch Tamar play defense, he really does remind me of post knee injury Maurice Creek; he wants to move fast, but just can't. His reaction time seems to be slower than most too. That said, his defense does look much better this year, but still needs a lot of improvement.
can see Galloway and XJ being in the argument, race has good leaping ability for a guy his size but thats about it, I don't see gunn as a great athlete at all, Hes a player more than athlete kind of like Reneau

Does CJ Gunn remind anyone else of freshman year Armaan Franklin?
Thought the same. Too bad he didnt stay here . Wonder if he and Woodson had issues? I don't mean bad but admittedly if one coach recruits you and the new one and you dont mesh ?

Thought the same. Too bad he didnt stay here . Wonder if he and Woodson had issues? I don't mean bad but admittedly if one coach recruits you and the new one and you dont mesh ?
he moved on pretty quick and also moved up. other than tjd he may have been the only one in that position

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT