ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder if nil money can be used for some players to "retire".

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Remember when Tom Crean gave his first scholarship offer to Grant Gelon? Archie Miller very quickly told him he didn't have the skills to play at Indiana, at least not under Archie Miller's system, which was being kind. He was offered to stay on scholarship at Indiana University but he was not going to be on the basketball team.

Didn't Fred Glass clear a path for students to stay on scholarship after leaving the basketball team. I wish Tamar Bates good luck. I'm glad to see that he is the passion to play the game competitively.

Last edited:
Remember when Tom Green gave his first scholarship offer to Grant Gelon? Archie Miller very quickly told him he didn't have the skills to play at Indiana, at least not under Archie Miller's system, which was being kind. He was offered to stay on scholarship at Indiana University but he was not going to be on the basketball team.

Didn't Fred Glass clear a path for students to stay on scholarship after leaving the basketball team. I wish Tamar Bates good luck. I'm glad to see that he is the passion to play the game competitively.
They don’t need NIL for that. The IU Athlete Bill of Rights guarantees a full ride regardless on if you are on the team or not.

They don’t need NIL for that. The IU Athlete Bill of Rights guarantees a full ride regardless on if you are on the team or not.
I was wondering if it could be used as an incentive. Hate to be callous but I think anybody who sits the bench on scholarship for 5 years is a detriment to the program.

I was wondering if it could be used as an incentive. Hate to be callous but I think anybody who sits the bench for 5 years is a detriment to the program.
They don’t need incentive though. A coach can Crean a player any time he wants. That player still receives a full ride

Reactions: kkott
Remember when Tom Crean gave his first scholarship offer to Grant Gelon? Archie Miller very quickly told him he didn't have the skills to play at Indiana, at least not under Archie Miller's system, which was being kind. He was offered to stay on scholarship at Indiana University but he was not going to be on the basketball team.

Nominee for one of the worst threads of 2023

They don’t need incentive though. A coach can Crean a player any time he wants. That player still receives a full ride
How would you crean a guy like leal who gets paid 100k to sit on the bench. Is his 100k investor just out 100k? Serious question. Cause you have every right to crean him as a coach but he is getting big bucks so you walk a slippery slope with the donors and community

How would you crean a guy like leal who gets paid 100k to sit on the bench. Is his 100k investor just out 100k? Serious question. Cause you have every right to crean him as a coach but he is getting big bucks so you walk a slippery slope with the donors and community
Leal is being compensated for use of his name, image, and likeness. There’s no “investment” happening.

Leal is being compensated for use of his name, image, and likeness. There’s no “investment” happening.
I get that but what i am saying is if you crean him will those using his image shy away from iu in the future if he is creaned. I doubt it but who knows.

I get that but what i am saying is if you crean him will those using his image shy away from iu in the future if he is creaned. I doubt it but who knows.
Caveat Emptor? There are some big names in the portal (Caleb Love and the PG from UK) who I'm sure were making mint on NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT