ADVERTISEMENT

Tamar’s best defensive performance of the season

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
If you say Tamar can’t defend, you might get banned for trolling. What he did last night was a thing of beauty. Helping at just the right time to cause TOs while never leaving his man long enough to get burned from deep (Galloway struggled mightily on D yesterday). The effort and concentration level was elite.

Scoop also played with in himself, and took a 30 footer with supreme confidence that made Chicago explode. When Tamar and Big Leak are playing like this off the bench, we got a real shot at Houston this year.

We are gonna win the Big ten championship and get a 3 seed. This is gonna be the best March since 02. Get ready ladies.

If you say Tamar can’t defend, you might get banned for trolling. What he did last night was a thing of beauty. Helping at just the right time to cause TOs while never leaving his man long enough to get burned from deep (Galloway struggled mightily on D yesterday). The effort and concentration level was elite.

Scoop also played with in himself, and took a 30 footer with supreme confidence that made Chicago explode. When Tamar and Big Leak are playing like this off the bench, we got a real shot at Houston this year.

We are gonna win the Big ten championship and get a 3 seed. This is gonna be the best March since 02. Get ready ladies.
If you'd been Captain of the Titanic, you might have had passengers believing as they dipped into the water. And, I love it!

He was better, his footwork was better..

That said after the trey he hit he bricks the next one and then immediately gets smoked off the dribble at the other end.

And let's be honest...we all held our breath when that baseball outlet pass goes to him down the right alley...not wanting to see what happens next. He caught it and gave it up...whew.

Nice seats btw.

Listened to it on the radio as I was driving thru Texas and Oklahoma (don’t think they ever heard of the the big ten network down there) and classic Erik suhr on describing Tamar’s shot “and when Tamar went to take that shot, he did like he had been playing well for weeks” but what I was shocked about was when he had a put back on the play before and I thought “Scoop hit a layup? What’s next? Hitting a 3?” Maybe he just needs to shoot only when he has a defender in his face

Reactions: Bucktown
MR was great on D also last night! Needs to start over RT immediately! It looks like we are getting the RT we saw at the end of last season, which is not a good sign!

Reactions: kkott

Tamar is a terrible defender. He would be starting at the two if he was even average.

Well for IU to win the B1G Tourney, Scoop has to step up. Especially with Geronimo just being worked back and obviously not ready mentally. If Scoop brings his game today, IU can play tomorrow.

MR was great on D also last night! Needs to start over RT immediately! It looks like we are getting the RT we saw at the end of last season, which is not a good sign!
I've thought we are better with Malik, like 90% of the time. Race had a very good game vs UM, but he's just been so rusty and up and down. Start Malik and if he has foul trouble or his freshman plays outweigh any productivity you've got Race on the bench, plus he spells TJD. Don't know why CMW is so obstinate about his starters.

Reactions: 76-1
I was kidding.... end of UM game. I've thought he should be playing more minutes that RT for a long time now.
Shit, I laughed at your post!!! But Leak really is gonna take those end of game minutes, like maybe today.

Shit, I laughed at your post!!! But Leak really is gonna take those end of game minutes, like maybe today.
I doubt it. I don't know why CMW is so committed to his starters, but he is. Weird for a guy who played for RMK, who often used the bench as a motivator (and frankly, I've thought RT could use that as a shakeup as so many of his mistakes and lackadaisical play seem to be mental not physical this year).

Reactions: jmdkhoosier
He was solid tonight..
He needs the same defensive effort and like 12 points today....
We need Tamar to keep playing hard and smart..

Reactions: Cavanagh
I doubt it. I don't know why CMW is so committed to his starters, but he is.
Because they're better/more consistent on defense and in Woodson's mind there's more net positive about their contributions than the alternatives Everyone on the Floor gets beat/burned from time to time, but some far more than others. Coaches use the Bench when Players don't understand what they're doing wrong and to send messages - as a 6th year Sr, the moment Race errs he already understands he f-ed up so the Bench is of less utility, i.e., 'motivation' isn't Race's problem. Grant that he sometimes seems as if he's been mildly concussed but then he generally does enough that all is forgiven.

Bates D is better, and was visibly so last night. He played within himself and was solid in man to man and switching. May not have been his best game, but it was balanced and positive. IU doesn't need him to be a 'star' so much as to be reliable/dependable.

“I’ll have what he’s having”.

Let’s go Cav!

MR stepped up big last night. Best game he's played since the NC game IMO. I haven't been impressed with Race all season. I know the knee injury has slowed him down but it appears to me he was just walking through games all season. IU just seems to play better when Malik is in the game. Looks like he's finally figuring out how to play defense & I really like his play in the lane, sweet hook shot that's usually on the money, has a decent outside shot, & is a good ft shooter. TOs were his downfall last night.
Yeah, but you gotta stick with him late in the game in case he goes to the FT line!
I was going to mentioned the end of the Michigan game but I see you said later you were joking. IU does need to shoot fts better, they left a lot of points at the line last night.

Reactions: kkott
MR stepped up big last night. Best game he's played since the NC game IMO. I haven't been impressed with Race all season. I know the knee injury has slowed him down but it appears to me he was just walking through games all season. IU just seems to play better when Malik is in the game. Looks like he's finally figuring out how to play defense & I really like his play in the lane, sweet hook shot that's usually on the money, has a decent outside shot, & is a good ft shooter. TOs were his downfall last night.

I was going to mentioned the end of the Michigan but I
What supports your point is his apparent lethargy when guarding the perimeter. He consistently does not get to his man when defending the perimeter. Needs to show same sense of urgency as MK and TG on getting through / around screens. It happened a few times vs Maryland and countless Times when he was defending Murray vs Iowa. Drives me nuts. He either needs to get better at this or call out switches.

What supports your point is his apparent lethargy when guarding the perimeter. He consistently does not get to his man when defending the perimeter. Needs to show same sense of urgency as MK and TG on getting through / around screens. It happened a few times vs Maryland and countless Times when he was defending Murray vs Iowa. Drives me nuts. He either needs to get better at this or call out switches.
Not lethargic, just not as quick. Yet. Limit to how much one can develop those 'quick-twitch' reflexes/reactions. He 's pretty solid facing up defenders on the perimeter, going to take a while for him to develop dealing with screens. more so as he just doesn't have a guard's body and it's far from what has been expected of him in his career to this point - he's a post-player working well outside his comfort zone of the lane.

I love Hummel as a broadcaster.... He was constantly dogging Race last night which is not usually his MO to berate a player over and over. Unfortunately Race deserved it last night... BUT he did play the best game he's played all year against UM. Does MR bring more overall to the table than RT? I would think so. But this is where the art of coaching comes in and we have to trust CMW to feel the game and go with who needs to be out there at any given moment in any given game.

While I am not ready yet to put Bates up there as a good defender, I have been impressed with his effort on that end the last two games.

Imo it is not a coincidence that in both games Galloway has been in foul trouble so Bates got extended minutes. This is why I am not as worried about next year as some people. Many players take some time to settle in. Bates when he has had extended minutes seems to settle in nicely at both ends of the floor. I am looking forward to next year when he is likely to start and play 30+ mpg.

Was up close to the action last night and I do agree with Cav, Tamar was really locked in and communicating on D. Was good to see. Needs to continue and will get him some more PT.

Not lethargic, just not as quick. Yet. Limit to how much one can develop those 'quick-twitch' reflexes/reactions. He 's pretty solid facing up defenders on the perimeter, going to take a while for him to develop dealing with screens. more so as he just doesn't have a guard's body and it's far from what has been expected of him in his career to this point - he's a post-player working well outside his comfort zone of the lane.
Don’t agree with your take. But he shows no “urgency” when finding his man or working through a screen. We have no “time” for him to develop. Not sure why Woody would have Race on a guy like Murray, but it doesn’t matter at this point. Race and everyone will need to do two things on the defensive end today. Communicate on switches while not leaving guys wide open on the perimeter. And after the shot we have to block our / rebound and limit second chance points by allowing offensive rebounds. This is as concerning as Penn state’s ability to hit the deep ball.

I've thought we are better with Malik, like 90% of the time. Race had a very good game vs UM, but he's just been so rusty and up and down. Start Malik and if he has foul trouble or his freshman plays outweigh any productivity you've got Race on the bench, plus he spells TJD. Don't know why CMW is so obstinate about his starters.
Still think Reneau (for this year) is better suited coming off the bench. Last thing in the world Reneau needs is picking up 2 cheap fouls early and then looking over his shoulder the remainder of the game. I think he’s much better when he plays free and with a clear head as he just doesn’t have the on-court awareness yet to play through some of those obstacles that a heady veteran like Race can.

Combining those late TO's with the four missed free throws at the end of the previous game doesn't produce fond parting memories after a five year playing IU career. He's lucky he didn't lose both games for us singlehandedly.
Thwarted two game tying/winning possessions away both in regulation and OT from Michigan in the finale. Can make the same argument that we don’t win the Michigan game without Race.

Don’t agree with your take. But he shows no “urgency” when finding his man or working through a screen. We have no “time” for him to develop. Not sure why Woody would have Race on a guy like Murray, but it doesn’t matter at this point. Race and everyone will need to do two things on the defensive end today. Communicate on switches while not leaving guys wide open on the perimeter. And after the shot we have to block our / rebound and limit second chance points by allowing offensive rebounds. This is as concerning as Penn state’s ability to hit the deep ball.
"...have no time for him to develop"? Judging by yesterday would say he's come a long way, and unless you know/do magic spells there's not much alternative. Malik, Race, Jordan, Bates, et al. are who they are. Our Team. Don't begin to see the point in wailing about their lack of perfection. This is the 'hand' that IU/Woodson have been dealt and speaking as if Woodson and Co. aren't humping these guys every day to do better with respect to all these points and more is futile. Don't imagine that they're not trying - they are are in fact doubtless doing their damnedest to play the best that they can.

Yesterday was pretty solid play all around and generally good. Mistakes were made, but 'tis ever thus. Good takes time, and 'best' takes longer - at this point can only hope that they have yet to play their best ball of the Season.

Reactions: papawboog
Comparing a freshman to a 5 yr player ( Kopp) or to a 3 yr player ( Galloway), both you have played extended minutes is like comparing apples to oranges. Granted, Malik has been is worst enemy by not being able to stay on the court because of foul problems. For a freshman "big", he's improved his perimeter defense.. Say " countless times when he was defending Murray" is a stretch of the imagination IMO. For one he wasn't in the game that much because of foul issues, and please tell me what other IU player shut him down? Or for that matter, who in the Big 10 has? Murray is an elite offensive player.

Reactions: Willdog7
My favorite play by Tamar last night was when he resisted the instinct to try to score out of transition late in the game. Similar on defense, good decisions will keep him on the court.

Glad you are recognizing good D. You know who else is a hell of a defender when healthy? Romeo Langford.

Defense is what will keep him in the league. A very versatile defender.

Reactions: Crayfish57
My favorite play by Tamar last night was when he resisted the instinct to try to score out of transition late in the game. Similar on defense, good decisions will keep him on the court.
Shooters always think the ball will go through the net, if not this time, the next time. If not the next time, the time after next and so on until pine time convinces them otherwise.

Reactions: Willdog7

Love the name Big Leak.

So proud of Tamar last night. Tamar’s defensive focus and attention was elite! Go Tamar!

Clock work

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT