ADVERTISEMENT

When The Best Interests Of The Few, Outweigh The Best Interests Of All Else.

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...egend-bill-walton-opposes-bruins-move-big-ten

trolls got the mods to lock the tread on this article.

article and subject are far too important for the mods to be so manipulated, so i'll reintroduce both.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Walton,

"I don't believe that joining the Big 10 is in the best interest of UCLA, its students, its athletes, its alumni, its fans, the rest of the UC system, the State of California, or the world at large."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this statement needs to be emphasized, because it is absolutely true.

while a small handful of coaches and administrators with power may financially make out great from the move, "UCLA, it's students, it's alumni, it's fans, the rest of the UC system, the State of California, or the world at large", are all huge losers.

as are all the other PAC schools including USC, their students, their fans, their alumni, and their states, all huge losers.

for every individual who gains mightily, there are a million losers.

the fans, the alums, the students, the faculty, the schools themselves, gain little to nothing from a handful of coaches and administrators having millions more to divvy up between themselves, or more unneeded Taj Mahal brick and mortar opulence in the keeping up with the Jones' endless game of leap frog.

the grown ups, if there are any left at the schools and states, need to step up.

that said, is there anyone with power left at our nations' major state universities, and even major private universities, with the ability to rule in the best interests of the schools themselves, their fans, their students, their alums, their faculty, over the mighty dollar, regardless of of how few that dollar actually reaches, or whose pockets it really comes out of?

or is the dollar itself making all the decisions, and damn everything else that gets in it's way.

i say that not in jest.

is there anyone in power left at our major state schools, with the ability to rule in the short and long best interests of the many, over the most profitable in the short run???

does the prez or AD at any major school have the ability to say NO to more money, no matter how it's allocated, no matter the downsides?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and on that note, though of far less importance, does anyone at IU have the power to say NO to one more, then one more, then one more, LED or print advertising billboard in Assembly Hall?

or one more occupied courtside folding chair blocking everyone else's view?

or one more commercial on the big screen?

i ask in all earnest, does ANYONE at IU have the power to say no mas anymore??

ANYONE????????

or is the job of AD and university prez and trustee now confined to one, and only one, mi$$ion?? (and the hell with everything and everybody else)?

and spare me any "keep the lights on" BS.

this isn't about paying the bills.

it's about MORE", and only "MORE", with no off switch.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...egend-bill-walton-opposes-bruins-move-big-ten

article and subject are far too important for the mods to be so manipulated, so i'll reintroduce both.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Walton,

"I don't believe that joining the Big 10 is in the best interest of UCLA, its students, its athletes, its alumni, its fans, the rest of the UC system, the State of California, or the world at large."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

while a small handful of coaches and administrators with power may financially make out great from the move, "UCLA, it's students, it's alumni, it's fans, the rest of the UC system, the State of California, or the world at large", are all huge losers.

as are all the other PAC schools including USC, their students, their fans, their alumni, and their states, all huge losers.

the fans, the alums, the students, the faculty, the schools themselves, gain little to nothing from a handful of coaches and administrators having millions more to divvy up between themselves, or more unneeded Taj Mahal brick and mortar opulence in the keeping up with the Jones' endless game of leap frog.

the grown ups, if there are any left at the schools and states, need to step up.

that said, is there anyone with power left at our nations' major state universities, and even major private universities, with the ability to rule in the best interests of the schools themselves, their fans, their students, their alums, their faculty, over the mighty dollar, regardless of of how few that dollar actually reaches, or whose pockets it really comes out of?

or is the dollar itself making all the decisions, and damn everything else that gets in it's way.

i say that not in jest.

is there anyone in power left at our major state schools, with the ability to rule in the short and long best interests of the many, over the most profitable in the short run???

does the prez or AD at any major school have the ability to say NO to more money, no matter how it's allocated, no matter the downsides?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and on that note, though of far less importance, does anyone at IU have the power to say NO to one more, then one more, then one more, LED or print advertising billboard in Assembly Hall?

ANYONE????????

or is the job of AD and university prez and trustee now confined to one, and only one, mi$$ion?? (and the hell with everything and everybody else)?

A reflection of humanity, my friend…. Don‘t worry, the USA is in the long death spiral now as a great nation.. there won’t always be this many $$$ to throw around. I’m still pissed at adding PSU in the early 90’s

A reflection of humanity, my friend…. Don‘t worry, the USA is in the long death spiral now as a great nation.. there won’t always be this many $$$ to throw around. I’m still pissed at adding PSU in the early 90’s
This is almost certainly the reason why the last thread on this topic was deleted - because some twit(s) decided to use it as a soapbox for raving about politics. Two other forums on this site dedicated to such and still you neeed to seek validation by bringing that crap here? Pathetic.

Bill Walton,

i say that not in jest.

ANYONE????????

Comcast has to be in there somewhere. . .

This is almost certainly the reason why the last thread on this topic was deleted - because some twit(s) decided to use it as a soapbox for raving about politics. Two other forums on this site dedicated to such and still you neeed to seek validation by bringing that crap here? Pathetic.
not one single political statement... I am the least politicized person I know.... don't give 2 sh!ts about which party is in power.... State of college sports IS a reflection of the state of our country... that is absolutely relevant to the sport of college bball... so get off your f---ing high horse and quit being a total douche

not one single political statement... I am the least politicized person I know.... don't give 2 sh!ts about which party is in power.... State of college sports IS a reflection of the state of our country... that is absolutely relevant to the sport of college bball... so get off your f---ing high horse and quit being a total douche
Eat shyte you snot-nosed pissant. "The USA is in the long death spiral as a great nation." That's straight up far right-wing fox-orange dogma so don't act/pretend you're some innocent victim. You sow it you reap it. And, "State of college sports IS a reflection of the state of our country." - transparent cover for your poor persecuted half-brain drivel. Flock you. If there's any "whore" and/or "douche" trolling around here it's you so go peddle stupid to someone with more of it than you if you can find such.

Glad someone else can appreciate the genius of Bill Walton. He is the main reason I stay up way past my bedtime to watch Maui games
Now, if he'd only take out the cotton stuffed up his nose while hawking his Maui Jim's. Maybe it's to keep his nose from dripping on camera, the result of a compromised nasal septum from too many overzealous coke parties spent at Joni's Laurel Canyon crash pad. That said. I like Bill. He's an easy one to tease and he takes it well. I can relate to him, for whatever reason. Maybe it's because his nasality resonates from the heart.

Look at it this way: UCLA brings instant credibility to the conference as the overwhelming champ in national basketball championships. A true blueblood has arrived. Not a bunch of pretenders riding fumes from 35 years ago.

I like Bill just because he seems aloof yet full of life. We need more like him.

With that said, Bill is merely saddened because he is so set on tradition. Tradition tomorrow is nothing more than what we do today. One cannot be stuck on the past and expect to grow. The NCAA is changing and although there certainly are people who can't envision the impacts these changes have had to UCLA, he has to understand they will not be able to maintain its status outside of being in a mega conference. This isn't a choice of preference as much as a choice of necessity.

Due to the vast increase in finances, the sport as we know it has been changing for 40+ years but that change was taking place behind the scenes due to NCAA preferential enforcement. Now the gates on all 40+ years of change are all opening at once and flooding the industry in the matter of a few seasons vs. 40 years....Its shell shocking to a lot of people but had the NCAA not held up the progress, most of these changes would've happened long ago. UCLA is in debt and the PAC 12 is not going to be able to solve for the logistics that UCLA faces today and certainly can't account for what they will miss out on in the future.

So people can keep harping on how much they wish life didn't change but it has and always will. If you learn to enjoy the changes, you might even like life a little bit more.

So people can keep harping on how much they wish life didn't change but it has and always will. If you learn to enjoy the changes, you might even like life a little bit more.
Good advice. I might add that it’s possible to hate some changes and still like life a little bit more. For example it’s just college basketball. I could abhor all the changes going on, and cut back on spending time on it-replacing that time with something else (fishing, cycling, playing in a band, who cares), and being happier in life.

Good advice. I might add that it’s possible to hate some changes and still like life a little bit more. For example it’s just college basketball. I could abhor all the changes going on, and cut back on spending time on it-replacing that time with something else (fishing, cycling, playing in a band, who cares), and being happier in life.

Exactly. Whatever it takes, I imagine. The problem with change is we're naturally going to dislike a lot of change. The best employees are the ones who are willing to be open and adapt to change. Why? Because change is necessary. Imagine life if we didn't allow for change? Sure, some changes may not be great but when more often than not it is good, maybe its our thought process that needs changed.

Last edited:
Eat shyte you snot-nosed pissant. "The USA is in the long death spiral as a great nation." That's straight up far right-wing fox-orange dogma so don't act/pretend you're some innocent victim. You sow it you reap it. And, "State of college sports IS a reflection of the state of our country." - transparent cover for your poor persecuted half-brain drivel. Flock you. If there's any "whore" and/or "douche" trolling around here it's you so go peddle stupid to someone with more of it than you if you can find such.
I love you too

It's sad how politics (in this case, a perception of politics) can make some so angry that they resort to this kind of vitriol towards their fellow IU fans.

I don't get it.

I just glanced thru the article. What was the politics of it?
I do agree that money is the reason behind many university decisions.

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners

Bill Walton,

i say that not in jest.

ANYONE????????

I strongly suspect the UCLA alunmi and students don't give a crap about the Big Ten. They know about Ahia and mich in FB and IU in BB but that is it.

I assure you that the vast majority of BIG alumni and students don't give a crap about UCLA.

Walton is correct. You and I see zero benefit.

"...no reason". Your autobiography or epitaph? Poor boo. Calling people whores from the safety of your keyboard because you can't think of anything intelligent to say and imagining that makes you righteous. Of course you are. Just so in awe of your verve and insight, can't wait to be regaled yet again by the effortless wit and brilliance rolling off your fingertips. So don't keep us waiting - finish it.
Rikki has his hands on a thesaurus!!! I made an observation that was relevant to the conversation, you went on a diatribe against said observation.... I was thus made to be flustered and therefore responded with whore and douchebag.... You might notice that the responses are generally in agreement with me that there IS relevance to society/basketball/finances/etc...

Reactions: Crayfish57
Exactly. Whatever it takes, I imagine. The problem with change is we're naturally going to dislike a lot of change. The best employees are the ones who are willing to be open and adapt to change. Why? Because change is necessary. Imagine life if we didn't allow for change? Sure, some changes may not be great but when more often than not it is good, maybe its our thought process that needs changed.
Changs happens even if you do nothing. Atoms will spontaneously seek equilibrium, which is a state of maximum randomness of a given system, the lowest energy state. Do nothing and things change to dust particles over time. Doing something (change in the other direction) requires energy input, going against the grain of nature. Change in this direction requires the added input of work, the expenditure of energy. It's easier to sit in a rocking chair and relax vs climbing a set of stairs to get somewhere. Change, like time, keeps moving into the future.

If something I've said sounds like a BS, let me know so I can be better informed. I'm just telling you what I know of reality from my viewpoint, right or wrong. Never cease to question the stars. Stars are the source of all that matter(s).

Walton is awesome, and so is IU basketball. soak it in ladies, dont make me locky locky.
You have got to be kidding me. The last time I heard Walton do an IU game he virtually never discussed anything going on in the game, all he did was tell stories about people he knew (some in basketball and some not) and BS. It was infuriating his almost total lack of commentary on the game in front of him which was his job. He was great in college, he had a season or two in the NBA and was mostly hurt and didn't play.

His take here, like his pronouncement that the PAC 12 is the conference of champions (not in a long while) is stupid. UCLA thought the B1G move was good for their athletic program as a whole, the added revenue is significant and it would help their athletes across multiple sports with better facilities and increased competitiveness.

He personally doesn't like it because, because, it's change and doesn't fit into what he wants. He needs to grow up. I too dealt with the change in the B1G additions and didn't like them. But the schools and the B1G presidents made those calls and it is what it is. Cal is po'ed because they weren't invited or didn't apply. No doubt other PAC 12 schools would like to join the B1G also. Screw Walton.

You have got to be kidding me. The last time I heard Walton do an IU game he virtually never discussed anything going on in the game, all he did was tell stories about people he knew (some in basketball and some not) and BS. It was infuriating his almost total lack of commentary on the game in front of him which was his job. He was great in college, he had a season or two in the NBA and was mostly hurt and didn't play.

His take here, like his pronouncement that the PAC 12 is the conference of champions (not in a long while) is stupid. UCLA thought the B1G move was good for their athletic program as a whole, the added revenue is significant and it would help their athletes across multiple sports with better facilities and increased competitiveness.

He personally doesn't like it because, because, it's change and doesn't fit into what he wants. He needs to grow up. I too dealt with the change in the B1G additions and didn't like them. But the schools and the B1G presidents made those calls and it is what it is. Cal is po'ed because they weren't invited or didn't apply. No doubt other PAC 12 schools would like to join the B1G also. Screw Walton.
in fairness that was the absolutely horrendous Maui Classic game between IU and Georgetown a few years ago... His anecdotes were much more interesting than anything that was happening on the court

I strongly suspect the UCLA alunmi and students don't give a crap about the Big Ten. They know about Ahia and mich in FB and IU in BB but that is it.

I assure you that the vast majority of BIG alumni and students don't give a crap about UCLA.

Walton is correct. You and I see zero benefit.
This was discussed ad infinitum when the announcement was made.

The Walton comment that there is zero benefit is just uninformed at best. The value of USC and UCLA joining the B1G is the added value of these two schools to the B1G the conference in negotiating media contracts The PAC 12 does not have the combination of media market coverage the BIG already has. With the addition of the second largest media market added to a conference with the fist and third largest media markets and a host of other valuable media markets. USC and UCLA (both have pretty good B schools) could see the obvious benefit versus staying in the PAC 12. The revenue was the benefit.

To not see that is kind of ignorant and Walton's take was emotional, not logical or thought through, and I doubt he asked anyone at UCLA what they thought the benefit was or he wouldn't have made a knee jerk statement like this.

In fairness I think an all American who played at UCLA has a whole hell of a lot more credibility than anyone doubting his comments. To say otherwise is arrogant

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
This was discussed ad infinitum when the announcement was made.

The Walton comment that there is zero benefit is just uninformed at best. The value of USC and UCLA joining the B1G is the added value of these two schools to the B1G the conference in negotiating media contracts The PAC 12 does not have the combination of media market coverage the BIG already has. With the addition of the second largest media market added to a conference with the fist and third largest media markets and a host of other valuable media markets. USC and UCLA (both have pretty good B schools) could see the obvious benefit versus staying in the PAC 12. The revenue was the benefit.

To not see that is kind of ignorant and Walton's take was emotional, not logical or thought through, and I doubt he asked anyone at UCLA what they thought the benefit was or he wouldn't have made a knee jerk statement like this.
I understand the financial aspects. Was speaking from a fan perspective Hope that helps

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
in fairness that was the absolutely horrendous Maui Classic game between IU and Georgetown a few years ago... His anecdotes were much more interesting than anything that was happening on the court
True, the game was a snoozer. Its really not too hard to listen to him talk about Phil Lesh and still understand what is happening in the game. But, maybe it’s just me.

Look at it this way: UCLA brings instant credibility to the conference as the overwhelming champ in national basketball championships. A true blueblood has arrived. Not a bunch of pretenders riding fumes from 35 years ago.
My God what an ass you are. Just go find another school to put down because you sure as hell don't root for IU.

UCLA was runner-up in 06 and last won it in 95
IU was runner-up in 02 and of course, last win in 87.

So Mr Piss on everything IU, Since 1987 and "riding the fumes from 35 years ago", they both have EXACTLY the same championships and Runner-ups.

So in conclusion, ESAD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT