ADVERTISEMENT

Tamar Bates - Will determine how far this team goes

BluegrassHoosier1

Benchwarmer
Mar 20, 2017
After hearing how Tamar Bates shot in the fan fest I am beginning to think this team's success will depend on Tamar being able to hit open shots and become the scorer we thought he was when he came in last year. We have not addressed the shooting issues from last year with a transfer so the solution will have to come from within. We know Kopp can shoot in practice but seems to have trouble hitting them when the pressure is turned up during the game. My hot take is Big Ten title and sweet 16 run depend on Tamar finding a shot and becoming a scorer. If not Tamar then where does the production come from?

Reactions: Cavanagh
After hearing how Tamar Bates shot in the fan fest I am beginning to think this team's success will depend on Tamar being able to hit open shots and become the scorer we thought he was when he came in last year. We have not addressed the shooting issues from last year with a transfer so the solution will have to come from within. We know Kopp can shoot in practice but seems to have trouble hitting them when the pressure is turned up during the game. My hot take is Big Ten title and sweet 16 run depend on Tamar finding a shot and becoming a scorer. If not Tamar then where does the production come from?
Was it more in his head starting 2nd semester with the kiddo? Or what? Cav? After that St John's game I was gonna promote him
all B1G by a jr.

Talked to his dad today. Tamar will be a big part of this teams success. Him not doing well last year was fuel for his fire. He has a lot of fire. Watch out when scoop gets hot and starts talking. Cavanaghs corner will be there to document the journey this year. :). Hired a college student that has known tamar for years. We are gonna have some real cool content coming your way!!

no offense Cav, but what I'm really looking forward to, is seeing some cool numbers in the box scores after games.

Sounds like X and TB feel they have some proving to do this year.

no offense Cav, but what I'm really looking forward to, is seeing some cool numbers in the box scores after games.

Sounds like X and TB feel they have some proving to do this year.
For sure. But I will get a lot of enjoyment watching a x highlight to the intro of next episode. I like highlights! Better than interviews for sure. I’ll leave that to the pros that are great ambassadors for IU.

Bates is not the determining factor unless someone here has been watching practices and can attest.

Far more likely to see this as the best 5:

TJD
Race
Geronimo
XJ
JHS

Bates is not the determining factor unless someone here has been watching practices and can attest.

TJD
Race
Geronimo
XJ
JHS
JG would need to be able to guard the 3. You been watching practice? ;)

Reactions: birdforbogey

TJD
Race
Geronimo
XJ
JHS

I agree with the OP that Bates (or maybe JG/Banks/JHS) is a big determining factor in regards to how high our ceiling is. We have a very high floor with X/Race/Trace but really need a three level offensive threat to step up in order for our ceiling to rise. Hope Bates, or one of the other candidates, can do that.

JG would need to be able to guard the 3. You been watching practice? ;)
Exactly. Bates is likely to be the better perimeter shooter and better equipped to guard the 3. If one of those 2 is our starting 3, I think it will be Tamar. But, with the way Woody stuck with his lineup last year, I won't be surprised to see Kopp there.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
Exactly. Bates is likely to be the better perimeter shooter and better equipped to guard the 3. If one of those 2 is our starting 3, I think it will be Tamar. But, with the way Woody stuck with his lineup last year, I won't be surprised to see Kopp there.
I do believe Kopp has a chance to start. Teams don't usually start 5 scorers. Kopp isn't a high volume shooter and seems willing to play the 5th starter role. He will need to make some of those 3s to keep the defenses covering him. With a 2nd unit NBA style program, you need a leader/scorer coming off the bench. A second unit with a confident Bates, Galloway and Geronimo could allow the offense to keep the pedal down.

All these names mentioned and I haven't mentioned MR or Banks that I believe can contribute early.

So many possibilities. Team is too deep, experienced and talented for its fortunes to depend on any one Player unless perhaps his name is Trayce or Xavier.
I agree we don’t need to depend on one player to be very good but to be special…..we do need a guy (Bates is one of the contenders) to be a reliable 3 level scorer.
Having TJD/X/Race is HUGE but we also need a crunch time alternative to just getting the ball into TJD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT