ADVERTISEMENT

Tamar’s career high

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012

Was against a cupcake, but with his daughter court-side, scoop showed what a weapon he can be. Paired with the all big ten level play of Xavier Johnson, the Hoosiers look ready for UNC. The two players hit 4 threes each for IU, marking the first time since Nam.

Was against a cupcake, but with his daughter court-side, scoop showed what a weapon he can be. Paired with the all big ten level play of Xavier Johnson, the Hoosiers look ready for UNC. The two players hit 4 threes each for IU, marking the first time since Nam.
Great to see it and happy for him. If / when we are hitting from outside, we are a very very tough team to beat. Bring in the Heels!

I know it was JSU, but he looked good. Confident and such a good looking stroke. If he can do even close to this against the good teams, we are in business. Happy for him. I think he really needed this.

She was a little darling in the press conference. She really wanted the mic. lol

Ive never been a fan of Bates but he showed today he can play. I just hope he can continue against higher caiber teams.If he can continue to play as he did today it will help open the middle for TJD, Malek, & Race.

Reactions: baileyiu
Glad to see it. Underwhelming to start the season, but if he can perform near this level consistently IU does become a real contender to go far in the tournament. I was really impressed by his improvement on D. He just looked super well prepared and performed in all phases. Lets see him do this against NC on Wednesday.

Glad to see it. Underwhelming to start the season, but if he can perform near this level consistently IU does become a real contender to go far in the tournament. I was really impressed by his improvement on D. He just looked super well prepared and performed in all phases. Lets see him do this against NC on Wednesday.

So JHS has been underwhelmingly to you as well right? He is 100% an NBA player. This is college basketball not an NBA all star game.....

Tamar has played tremendous on ball D all year, and will make you and many others look like fools. Internet is forever.

So JHS has been underwhelmingly to you as well right? He is 100% an NBA player. This is college basketball not an NBA all star game.....

Tamar has played tremendous on ball D all year, and will make you and many others look like fools. Internet is forever.
OK Cav, as I said, for this game against a pretty bad opponent Tamar played great. No question he showed all of that potential you spoke of. But, lets see him put together a consistent run of good games against top flight competition before you crown him. For the record, he hasn't done anything yet against a top opponent. Any top opponent. I really hope he steps up against NC, KU and AZ (he didn't against Xavier).

I really hope he puts it together and becomes an Oladipo type player. I believe I've expressed that IU needs him to be that kind of contributor. I've consistently expressed that I hope he does. I just didn't see what you said you've seen until yesterday. But, to me anyway, I need to see that in B1G play, against non-conf tough opponents, before he becomes and NBA All Star in my mind. work ethic plays a big role in success and if Tamar has that it should translate, it just didn't until yesterday.

I have the same view towards JHS, who seems to have all of the NBA skills except his shot, which I went into the season wondering about and so far has been unimpressive.

I tell you if he can carry over even a 1/3 of that performance IU is a different team. The most encouraging thing other than scoop was the 3rd string looked cohesive and aggressive. Usually 3rd string is sloppy but those dudes look good.

work ethic plays a big role in success and if Tamar has that it should translate, it just didn't until yesterday.
I have told this board over and over that Tamars mentals are rare. Now that Tamar has a child, it has even escalated his mindset. He approaches everyday that basketball is what is going to provide for his family. He speaks it and lives it in his actions everyday. I know this family very well, and this has been taught to him since day one by an unbelievably strong out spoken family.

Between the ears is what makes great players. It is very easy to see that Tamar has the necessary physical tools to play at this level. What will separate him is his brain. Watch him when a teammate does something well. Watch when someone messes up. Listen to him speak. Tamar is always 100% locked in and basketball is life. THAT IS WHY I AM SO BULLISH. They do not make players like Tamar. I have been around a shit ton of college basketball players over the last 15 years, and he is very very rare in the mental aspect.

Reactions: susyq
I tell you if he can carry over even a 1/3 of that performance IU is a different team. The most encouraging thing other than scoop was the 3rd string looked cohesive and aggressive. Usually 3rd string is sloppy but those dudes look good.
Woody has been preaching that all year. Everyone is competitive. Everyone wants to play.

We just didn't realize that everyone was probably good enough to play. Effort is one thing this team does not lack. Such a breath of fresh air from Archie. So many games the teams came out "flat". No no they didn't, they just didn't want it near as much as the other team. Almost every night the other team wanted it more. Glad that shit has changed. Credit Coach on that for sure.

Woody has been preaching that all year. Everyone is competitive. Everyone wants to play.

We just didn't realize that everyone was probably good enough to play. Effort is one thing this team does not lack. Such a breath of fresh air from Archie. So many games the teams came out "flat". No no they didn't, they just didn't want it near as much as the other team. Almost every night the other team wanted it more. Glad that shit has changed. Credit Coach on that for sure.
Mindset so damned important. Also linked to what you are stating about TB. Coach Woodson is a positive driving force. He'll really push them after Tarheel game. Just watch.

Reactions: Cavanagh

I have been incredibly impressed with Bates progress on D this year. Hopefully his big game was a breakthrough for him on offense. If Bates can provide 10+ ppg while knocking down a good % of 3s, we will be a much better team. JHS defense is outstanding as well.

Kudos to Woody showing so much patience with Tamar and JG. If Tamar can bring consistent high level play he's just made Trayce even more difficult to stop. He also takes a ton of pressure off of JHS and Reneau, though they both look so far to be unfazed by the bright lights. Other than the success of the team, his play could become the top storyline of the season.

Tamar has not been a good defender nor does he project to be a good defender. He is supposed to score, and he did that today.

Looking at the Arizona roster and stats they play their 1 or 2 bigs and 3 or 4 guys listed as guards.

Bates performance in that one is going to be huge because MK will have some trouble with their quickness.

Against Kansas, can he and Miller stop Dick will be a key too.

Granted, but can we all finally admit Bates needs more PT and MK less?

Tamar has not been a good defender nor does he project to be a good defender. He is supposed to score, and he did that today.
What do you mean"project" as a good defender? Is there something inherently wrong with the guy so he can't develop into a good defender? I haven't heard anybody knowledgeable about the game describe him that way. He's actually getting better and better on D.

I'm torn. Loved seeing Tamar break out like he did, but I must admit I've been enjoying seeing Cav getting shit for Bates not living up to the hype. 😜

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT