ADVERTISEMENT

Take a Deep Breathe

IndyMitchell

Benchwarmer
Apr 29, 2008
I think we all need to step back and not over react. Smaller adjustments could be all that's needed. With certain opponents, Miller Kopp can be a guy that can really help. However, some match ups will require other guys to get the majority of the mins. He's a great team guy and he plays hard. I just think the current team without Race and X just need a little more tweaking. I just see the need for a different skill set when playing against quicker teams. I see the better starting lineup as JHS, Galloway, Bates, Geronimo, TJD. The defense, rebounding, and ball handling could get a boost with this lineup. Kopp would be a perfect veteran to help the second unit of Reneau and Gunn. I'd also like a see Duncomb and Banks get opportunities for spot mins and good matchups. Geronimo also needs more playing time. He does things that no one else on the team can do. His confidence needs to be high before Race and X are back for this team to end the season well.

Also, the team's morale may need a boost. Having home court for Saturday's game should go along way to getting a big win and righting the ship.

Reactions: Imsowyctcwuzbetta
I think we all need to step back and not over react. Smaller adjustments could be all that's needed. With certain opponents, Miller Kopp can be a guy that can really help. However, some match ups will require other guys to get the majority of the mins. He's a great team guy and he plays hard. I just think the current team without Race and X just need a little more tweaking. I just see the need for a different skill set when playing against quicker teams. I see the better starting lineup as JHS, Galloway, Bates, Geronimo, TJD. The defense, rebounding, and ball handling could get a boost with this lineup. Kopp would be a perfect veteran to help the second unit of Reneau and Gunn. I'd also like a see Duncomb and Banks get opportunities for spot mins and good matchups. Geronimo also needs more playing time. He does things that no one else on the team can do. His confidence needs to be high before Race and X are back for this team to end the season well.

Also, the team's morale may need a boost. Having home court for Saturday's game should go along way to getting a big win and righting the ship.
I’ve heard of LSD trips but this one takes the cake!

Miller Kopp can really help? In what manner? Rebounding? Defense, oh yeah he's a great shooter against bad teams...

Miller Kopp can really help? In what manner? Rebounding? Defense, oh yeah he's a great shooter against bad teams...
I think Miller does have a role if we can field a team that shows effort. I think he's proving himself to be our best shooter and we have upgraded that department to this point so far between he, JHS, Bates and Galloway. He needs more stuff run for him and looks, and if he's getting those, I think he can offset his defensive deficincies. Of course not if he's not getting looks. We're not taking advantage of his best attributes and so we're getting beat with his worst. At this point, we should be getting him 5-6 3 attempts a game.

Reactions: IndyMitchell

Thanks for the advice Mrs Woodson

Lol. IU basketball is Groundhog Day.

Wonderful positive attitude. I commend you for you faith.
Completely wrong of course, but I love your positive outlook.

I took a break to breathe after the Iowa game and IU followed that up with a home loss to NW. I took another long deep breath after that game and IU followed it up by laying an egg last night. I'll continue breathing but I'm thinking there is now enough evidence to believe this IU team will continue to struggle this season. Keep building, keep working, and bring in some shooter the likes of other Big Ten teams. Go IU.

Reactions: IndyMitchell
I think he can bring veteran leadership and being a solid bench player. He gives his all but he just isn’t long enough or quick enough to be a 30 min guy. Against a zone defense or a slower team, he can be a nice player off the bench.

I think Miller does have a role if we can field a team that shows effort. I think he's proving himself to be our best shooter and we have upgraded that department to this point so far between he, JHS, Bates and Galloway. He needs more stuff run for him and looks, and if he's getting those, I think he can offset his defensive deficincies. Of course not if he's not getting looks. We're not taking advantage of his best attributes and so we're getting beat with his worst. At this point, we should be getting him 5-6 3 attempts a game.
He definitely would need things ran for him. The feed to the post and hope his defender leaves him isn’t working though. That seems to be his role. Stand around and hope to space the floor. He needs to have other options on ways to get open looks. He’s not a Jordan Hulls level shooter so it’s tough to live with his lack of ball handling, rebounding, and defensive quickness. His help isn’t really providing help. It just opens things up for an even more open shot.

It has to be. No sane person could actually post this and believe it.
People that have competed in athletics know that fans over react. We lost 3 in a row but two were one basket games and the other had a team that couldn’t miss. All be it because of the slow help defense that gave them confidence. There are corrections that need made but IU could still have a solid team. Losing 2 5th guys is going to really challenge the depth. We just need to adjust while Race and X are out. Hopefully for only another month.

Lol. IU basketball is Groundhog Day.
Agree. I'm ashamed to admit that in the early days I actually was a believer that Woodson could at least get us back on track. When will I/we learn.

Getting back to the RMK level was probably never a reasonable expectation. What bothers me now is I no longer know what are long term floor is.

No, I think it's obvious this team can be beaten rather easily by every big ten team, except for maybe Minnesota. I can't see how we're going to play our way out of the bottom few and what we have coming back next year I suspect we'll either be projected dead last or at least bottom 3 in the league. This experiment with an NBA coach has failed miserably-- it's a train wreck and dumpster fire all rolled into one and it looks like we'll have to spend the next couple seasons ranked somewhere outside of the top 100.

Frankly, of the money making P5 college sports programs lU ranks dead last in perhaps football and now basketball. But our men's soccer team and woman's basketball team will kick your ass!

Geronimo is a disaster defensively... where the root of all the problems sits with this team. Seems lost all the time.

People that have competed in athletics know that fans over react. We lost 3 in a row but two were one basket games and the other had a team that couldn’t miss. All be it because of the slow help defense that gave them confidence. There are corrections that need made but IU could still have a solid team. Losing 2 5th guys is going to really challenge the depth. We just need to adjust while Race and X are out. Hopefully for only another month.
Fair weather fans can't weather storms... easier to pile on. Easier to just quit on the team.

Last edited:

Nope, not when the tougher part of the schedule is coming. We have conferences losses to powerhouses Iowa, Rutgers, nw and Penn st. This team will be lucky to make the NIT

He definitely would need things ran for him. The feed to the post and hope his defender leaves him isn’t working though. That seems to be his role. Stand around and hope to space the floor. He needs to have other options on ways to get open looks. He’s not a Jordan Hulls level shooter so it’s tough to live with his lack of ball handling, rebounding, and defensive quickness. His help isn’t really providing help. It just opens things up for an even more open shot.
Kopp is shooting 45% on 3s. Jordy shot 44% in 2012-13. Kopp has taken 69 3 attempts, so I think there's enough track record to think he can keep this up and it's not a flash in the pan due to a hot start. He needs more shots. Not to mention, I think he can do more than just spot up 3s, which Jordy was pretty limited to on O because of his size as far as scoring.

I took a break to breathe after the Iowa game and IU followed that up with a home loss to NW. I took another long deep breath after that game and IU followed it up by laying an egg last night. I'll continue breathing but I'm thinking there is now enough evidence to believe this IU team will continue to struggle this season. Keep building, keep working, and bring in some shooter the likes of other Big Ten teams. Go IU.
I took deep breaths then too. I think somebody farted.

Reactions: RedFan1 and bawlmer
I was curious, when was the last time we won 3 conference games in a row?

Answer: 2018-2019.

The problem is that we lost 12 of 13 that year.

At 1-4 we need to string some wins together. The problem is that this group has managed a 5 game loss streak annually.

Reactions: kkott

Step off the ledge? That was often used during the Crean years. LOL!

You don’t suddenly become something else halfway though the year. You are what you are. At our absolute best we’ve proven we’re a back end top 25 team. Without X we were probably a 8-12 seed and .500 in the Big 10. Without them both (and some subpar coaching!) We’re bottom 1/3 of the conference.

Reactions: bailey777
I was curious, when was the last time we won 3 conference games in a row?

Answer: 2018-2019.

The problem is that we lost 12 of 13 that year.

At 1-4 we need to string some wins together. The problem is that this group has managed a 5 game loss streak annually.
We have lost 5 or the last 7 and the two wins were against cupcakes. In the five losses we have given up 86.6 points per game. This is a dumpster fire.

We may lose another 10 one basket games. Maybe if we explain it that way to the selection committee they will understand?

Last edited:
Reactions: bailey777
Fans don’t matter. It doesn’t matter if a fan “quits on the team”.

We need the players and staff to weather “the storm*” and not quit.

*note: “Storm” or just another season?
Storm... as you posted earlier they weathered a storm with a 5 game slide last year and made it into a play in slot... I am sure the players and staff do not have the mentality of some of these posters.

you think those of use who have suffered for nearly 30 years are still here are "fair weather fans"? That's funny
some are detractors... I am one of those continual fans from the RMK era and still support the team and staff without disparaging them just because of unrealistic expectations...

Reactions: bawlmer
Not from me…I jumped off the ledge early in the Crean years. I’m not saying Woody is the strategist that Knight was but he’s not Crean.
😂 you may not have not liked Crean, but he’s even five times the college coach Woodson appears to be. Honestly, loved Woody as a player, but he’s in way over his head coaching college ball. This team might be on pace to set new records in futility if they can’t win even one game this month— which is a possibility.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Reactions: mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT